By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Alabama has elected a Democratic senator

A democrat has finally won in Alabama!

Sweet. Fuck Moore! 36 100.00%

Total:36

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/12/12/us/politics/alabama-senate-race-winner.html?referer=https://www.google.com/

Moore was under heavy scrunity. Even if we disregard the potential sexual crimes he might have committed, he was known for:

1. Being anti science

2. Condoning homophobia

3. Calling gay people perverts

4. Opposing abortions

5. Saying best era of America was during slavery because 'we were a family'

6. Being a creationist (eww)

It seems that Alabama has finally woken up and dumped the piece of shit. Hooray! This is a cause for celebration, and everyone should be happy. Also, fuck Moore - dumbass homophibic piece of shit.

They thought they won, but no one's gonna let bigotry continue to stay active. As long as more senators rally, we'll see a stop to more people like Moore.

For now, let's hope Alabama slowly continues its increase in progressive beliefs. Their new senator won't criminalize homosexuality, and he doesn't have batshit ideas embedded in religion and bigotry. 

Good job Alabama - good job.

Around the Network

Only took the worst Republican candidate possible to do it! Fucking nail biter, but glad to see some compassion prevail. No illusions about AL going blue long term, though. Half expected Trump to go on about more illegal voters or something, but it looks like he's restraining himself this time.

This has got to be humiliating for Dear Leader. His endorsement is looking like the Kiss of Death.

I'm actually pretty shocked at the news. But in a good way of course.

I just can't believe the support Moore actually had. Makes me sad to know that behaviour like that can be supported or overlooked in order to avoid communicating with the opposition.

I've saw people on Twitter that were incredibly disappointed by this news because Jones wasn't the candidate endorsed by Trump. Extreme conservatives have supported this immoral piece of shit for months and I've been perplexed by this attitude. Hopefully America sees a variety of senators with different beliefs... rather than just pure Democrat or Republican.

Around the Network

The two party system is really at fault for why this sort of thing can happen to begin with. When you neatly divide all issues between two parties, you're basically asking people to either endorse their candidate even if he's a piece of garbage, or vote for every view they don't personally ascribe to.

This "one or the other" system is about as divisive and difficult as could be in place. If there'd been more options than those two people would have jumped off the Roy bandwagon long before.

Still, I'm a little surprised he lost... it was clearly a toss-up, but it must have killed a lot of Alabama voters inside to either abstain or vote for the democratic option.

Johnw1104 said:

The two party system is really at fault for why this sort of thing can happen to begin with. When you neatly divide all issues between two parties, you're basically asking people to either endorse their candidate even if he's a piece of garbage, or vote for every view they don't personally ascribe to.

This "one or the other" system is about as divisive and difficult as could be in place. If there'd been more options than those two people would have jumped off the Roy bandwagon long before.

Still, I'm a little surprised he lost... it was clearly a toss-up, but it must have killed a lot of Alabama voters inside to either abstain or vote for the democratic option.

I think that even if another viable party came, it'd still eventually transition back to the two-party system because of the way voting works and people doing strategic voting.

fielding88 said:
I'm actually pretty shocked at the news. But in a good way of course.

I just can't believe the support Moore actually had. Makes me sad to know that behaviour like that can be supported or overlooked in order to avoid communicating with the opposition.

Have you seen the thread on Australia and gay marriage? People still use the slippery slope argument of why incest and beastiality won't follow gay marriage.

These people need to be educated. It's as simple as that. You start by attacking the young generation with full force, and then dismantling those leading the voice of bigotry. 

At the same time, only insults won't do anything. I've been guilty of being bigoted about certain things, so I believe simply educating people is the best option. After all, I have talked to modern day white supremacists, and I learned that even they can change. It just takes effort and realizing they're human as well.

I believe humanity would be better off if we kept remembering this. Only few humans are doomed. 99.9% just need a hand to pull them out of their ignorance. 

I am actually surprised, considering how much support Trump got, and he had allegations himself. A different Republican candidate obviously wouldn't have lost, but it is fortunate that Alabama didn't support Bannon-sponsored Moore.

"For now, let's hope Alabama slowly continues its increase in progressive beliefs."

Don't expect much from this. Moore was really bad as a candidate. That the results were as close as they were shows that Alabama isn't trending blue.

VGPolyglot said:
Johnw1104 said:

I think that even if another viable party came, it'd still eventually transition back to the two-party system because of the way voting works and people doing strategic voting.

Well it definitely would with the current system in place, but that's due to a long list of factors from the length of the campaigning period to the insane amounts of money spent on campaigning as well as the difficulty involved in getting on the ballot. If there's one thing both parties have happily cooperated with it's maintaining a structure in which no one from outside of either party has a realistic chance of actually winning the presidency and most senatorial/house seats, as the money and requisite backing from those already in power simply isn't there.