By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "The Nintendo Switch Is Selling Exactly As Fast As Sony's PS4" - Forbes

Do you agree with the article?

Yes, Switch will KILL the PS4! 18 12.95%

No, PS4 will remain champion! 74 53.24%

Hard to tell right now, time will only tell. 47 33.81%

Total:139

That's great news.

Around the Network
NPCmates said:
Wow so many people are saying switch will hit 100mil and I'm here thinking this thing will be lucky if it hits 40mil.

It did 10m on its first 9 months without a full holiday season and tons of supply issues, and there are rumors that they plan to ship 25m~30m next year. Lol.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

zorg1000 said:
quickrick said:

look at 3 articles and they say falling off a cliff with very small drops. its all about context.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4093649-ford-sales-falling-cliff

https://techcrunch.com/2016/04/26/why-apples-stock-fell-off-a-cliff-today/

https://www.thestreet.com/story/13754264/1/nike-stock-falls-off-a-cliff-after-hours-despite-solid-growth.html

2 of those links are talking about stock dropping within hours, a companies value dropping 8% in a couple hours is alot different than a device declining 8% over the course of a year.

Falling off a cliff implies a large sudden decline, not a slow gradual one.

And even if there are uses for falling off a cliff meaning "low" or "slow" decline, when you use that the other side will interpret as something bigger. So I agree that is a bad excuse (like falling up).

But he could have been smarter and just pointing out that since the console launched later and had supply issues, if it was released in the begining of the year without stock issues it would sell more, so he is comparing his "fall off a cliff" that in the paper seem like a 10% drop (still, not even likely) is actually 30% or more because first year could have been 20M.

Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

#DS

2011 - 13M

2012 - 14M

2013 - 14M

2014 - 10M

2015 - 7M

Year 4 and 5 saw 30% drop on the previous year. But certainly the peak and the drop is smoother than what we have seen from the Nintendo consoles.

One thing I have to remember you and other Nintendo fans all the time is that you can't by calling it a hybrid uses only the strenghts of what Nintendo had on consoles and HH without also considering the weakness of both, like if the sum of the parts made it all strenghts and no weakness.

We can't really be sure if they will have several revisions and that it will bring high sales, although it's expected. Still as I put, if PS5 comes only by 2021, Switch would already be on the decline phase so it would be even harder to see it passing PS4 (because also, PS5 releasing in 2021 means PS4 sales up until that point were still strong).

Actually this are more accurate shipped numbers for fiscal years, and it's obvious that 3DS is seiling OK even in its 7. year on market.

https://www.statista.com/graphic/1/262074/worldwide-sales-of-the-nintendo-3ds-since-2004.jpg

Nothing you wrote dont go against what I wrote. And like I wrote, in any case he implied that Switch will stop selling when PS5 comes in market and offocurse that dont make sense.

Offocurse that Switch has some weaknesses too, but fact is that Switch is selling on home console and handheld market in same time, and that makes huge difrence compared to only handheld or only home console. Unified software platform where handheld and home console IPs are on one platform is also huge advanatage.

Yeah, its highly expected that Switch will have multiple regions with cheaper one offer also, espacily beacuse next year 3DS will die.

The best part of all of this is that for once after almost 4 years the discussions about selling speed, who will top the chart and etc seem to be alive.

And even though I prefer Sony and that they keep doing dedicated desk consoles I'm pleased with Nintendo playing to their strengths and finding ways to please its customers, finding well deserved success. That may entice Sony to look at a similar path (which I believe we already discussed) that may be very dependent on the speed of technology and how they will make compromises on next gen development.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

tbone51 said:
This is my minimum prediction for years 2-4

Y1: 14mil
Y2: 15mil (full supply)
Y3: 16mil (pokemon+new sku)
Y4: 11mil
Y5: 9mil

Minimum 65mil lifetime

What is your “normal” prediction? I’m always happy to see you predicting because you do it very well. 

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

LipeJJ said:
tbone51 said:

Minimum 65mil lifetime

What is your “normal” prediction? I’m always happy to see you predicting because you do it very well. 

Considering this minimum, probably around 80M

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
LipeJJ said:
tbone51 said:

Minimum 65mil lifetime

DonFerrari said:
LipeJJ said:

Its hard to do year by year without knowing too much. I do think the floor is 60mil. There is very good momentum going for the switch and nintendo excluding the wii have never been in such a good situation in its first year.

80mil-85mil based on FY sales. 100mil+ is possible but it will be easier to see by next year (after 2018 sales).

All i do kno is switch is guarteed 15mil+ in japan especially if ps4 is going to do 8mil minimum

No way Switch will sell as well as Playstation. Sony keeps their stuff on the market for years.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

tbone51 said:
LipeJJ said:

DonFerrari said:

Its hard to do year by year without knowing too much. I do think the floor is 60mil. There is very good momentum going for the switch and nintendo excluding the wii have never been in such a good situation in its first year.

80mil-85mil based on FY sales. 100mil+ is possible but it will be easier to see by next year (after 2018 sales).

All i do kno is switch is guarteed 15mil+ in japan especially if ps4 is going to do 8mil minimum

Yeah, I think it will be easier to predict when we see how it performs next year with better supply.

DonFerrari said:
Miyamotoo said:

That a quite a reaching, 3DS has selling good even after 4-5 years on market and it seems that Switch with revisions and difrent types of hardware will be closer to 3DS, in 2-3 years Switch can have some of its best years on market. In any case he implied that Switch will stop selling when PS5 comes in market and offocurse that dont make sense.

#DS

2011 - 13M

2012 - 14M

2013 - 14M

2014 - 10M

2015 - 7M

Year 4 and 5 saw 30% drop on the previous year. But certainly the peak and the drop is smoother than what we have seen from the Nintendo consoles.

One thing I have to remember you and other Nintendo fans all the time is that you can't by calling it a hybrid uses only the strenghts of what Nintendo had on consoles and HH without also considering the weakness of both, like if the sum of the parts made it all strenghts and no weakness.

We can't really be sure if they will have several revisions and that it will bring high sales, although it's expected. Still as I put, if PS5 comes only by 2021, Switch would already be on the decline phase so it would be even harder to see it passing PS4 (because also, PS5 releasing in 2021 means PS4 sales up until that point were still strong).

Lets take a look at other Nintendo handhelds while we are at it to see if 3DS had an abnormal curve.

GBA

Year 1-17.09 million

Year 2-15.65 million

Year 3-17.59 million

Year 4-15.40 million

Year 5-8.33 million

Year 6-4.34 million

DS

Year 1-11.46 million

Year 2-23.56 million

Year 3-30.31 million

Year 4-31.18 million

Year 5-27.11 million

Year 6-14.80 million

Year 7-6.68 million

There doesnt seem to be a general sales curve for their handhelds.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

DonFerrari said:

Miyamotoo said:

Actually this are more accurate shipped numbers for fiscal years, and it's obvious that 3DS is seiling OK even in its 7. year on market.

https://www.statista.com/graphic/1/262074/worldwide-sales-of-the-nintendo-3ds-since-2004.jpg

Nothing you wrote dont go against what I wrote. And like I wrote, in any case he implied that Switch will stop selling when PS5 comes in market and offocurse that dont make sense.

Offocurse that Switch has some weaknesses too, but fact is that Switch is selling on home console and handheld market in same time, and that makes huge difrence compared to only handheld or only home console. Unified software platform where handheld and home console IPs are on one platform is also huge advanatage.

Yeah, its highly expected that Switch will have multiple regions with cheaper one offer also, espacily beacuse next year 3DS will die.

The best part of all of this is that for once after almost 4 years the discussions about selling speed, who will top the chart and etc seem to be alive.

And even though I prefer Sony and that they keep doing dedicated desk consoles I'm pleased with Nintendo playing to their strengths and finding ways to please its customers, finding well deserved success. That may entice Sony to look at a similar path (which I believe we already discussed) that may be very dependent on the speed of technology and how they will make compromises on next gen development.

Yeah, for the record, I think it would be very hard for Switch to sell better than PS4 LT, but its not impossible, and I always say it too early to predict Switch numbers and we that need to see how Switch will sell in 2018. But at end, its most important that Sony and Nintendo are doing great.