By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo intends to ship more Switch units in Japan than ever before this month

TruckOSaurus said:
quickrick said:

there very good numbers, but people think it's similar to ps4, and it's not for obvious reasons that i stated.

Reading back the thread, you're the one who felt the need to bring up the PS4 into the discussion. Prior to your intervention, it was merely people taking about potential weekly Switch sales in Japan.

i was talking about japan, and somebody brought up WW. i was showing 2 million is not some mind blowing number, it's good but nothing amazing. my main point is japan being so neglected they shipper over a million to north america, and stock is plentiful, yet japan is selling like i think 400k for November and being sold out.   

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
quickrick said:

switch won most months because of pent up demand that was never fulfilled, next year it won't be the same and ps4 will be winning most of the months, its like super nes classic to a smaller disagree, it could probably beat ps4,3-5 till every that wants one get one then, then it's over.

Let me get this straight.  Switch sold better because of "pent up demand".  That means there was more demand than supply at some point and then when supply came through, sales spiked....and yet when supply remains constant with demand, sales will fall?

OK let me explain it to you, switch could have sold 2 million in 2 months, but because of supply issues, it was selling slowly spreading out in each month and getting a boost each month from day one buyers that couldn't buy one. example super classic, beat ps4, and it could probably beaten ps4 for more months if it wasn't for the holidays, now say 2 million people wanted super classic in north america and it only shipped taht amount in 4 months it would beat ps4 in most months, but if they shipped 2 million, first month, sales will start to fall hard next month. wii in japan is a good example once it hit 10 million in a little over 2 years sales fell of a cliff.

quickrick said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Reading back the thread, you're the one who felt the need to bring up the PS4 into the discussion. Prior to your intervention, it was merely people taking about potential weekly Switch sales in Japan.

i was talking about japan, and somebody brought up WW. i was showing 2 million is not some mind blowing number, it's good but nothing amazing. my main point is japan being so neglected they shipper over a million to north america, and stock is plentiful, yet japan is selling like i think 400k for November and being sold out.   

Yeah but without the million shipped to NA, that region would be the neglected one and stock wouldn't be plentiful. The stock sent to NA is getting sold, I don't think they're in a situation where the console is heavily supply constrained in the US like at launch but I do think the consoles shipped don't sit on the shelves too long so they do need a constant supply in NA.

Signature goes here!

quickrick said:
SpokenTruth said:

Let me get this straight.  Switch sold better because of "pent up demand".  That means there was more demand than supply at some point and then when supply came through, sales spiked....and yet when supply remains constant with demand, sales will fall?

OK let me explain it to you, switch could have sold 2 million in 2 months, but because of supply issues, it was selling slowly spreading out in each month and getting a boost each month from day one buyers that couldn't buy one. example super classic, beat ps4, and it could probably beaten ps4 for more months if it wasn't for the holidays, now say 2 million people wanted super classic in north america and it only shipped taht amount in 4 months it would beat ps4 in most months, but if they shipped 2 million, first month, sales will start to fall hard next month. wii in japan is a good example once it hit 10 million in a little over 2 years sales fell of a cliff.

That's if you go with the assumption that demand is static and will never increase past the point the console is first released, which is ridiculous. If Sony manufactured and put 70 million PS4 consoles in stores day 1, do you think all of them would have sold?

"Nintendo intend to ship more units during the holidays than when it wasn't the holidays". Quite frankly i'm blown away by this news

Jokes aside, hopefully it's a substantial increase. There's clearly a lot of pent up demand in Japan.

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
quickrick said:

Yeah but without the million shipped to NA, that region would be the neglected one and stock wouldn't be plentiful. The stock sent to NA is getting sold, I don't think they're in a situation where the console is heavily supply constrained in the US like at launch but I do think the consoles shipped don't sit on the shelves too long so they do need a constant supply in NA.

you make a good point but it seems they shipping very little to the country with the most demand.

quickrick said:
Miyamotoo said:

Yes I do realise that, but nothing what you wrote has anything with what I wrote. Again, this is best PS4 year from launch, and $100 price cut during BF deals with some extra deals (like Gamestop gave $50 in store credit) was huge and great deal. Why PS4 won November NPD while Switch won most of previous months, because that huge BF deal obviously.

switch won most months because of pent up demand that was never fulfilled, next year it won't be the same and ps4 will be winning most of the months, its like super nes classic to a smaller disagree, it could probably beat ps4,3-5 till every that wants one get one then, then it's over.

Switch won most months simple because more people bought Switch, November was easily best Switch month from Swtch launch until now but PS4 won that month beacuse had huge and great BF deal, and now it seems like Switch will again win December. We dont know who will win most months next year, it can go in both ways. Again, Switch deosnt have nothing with NES Classic, NES Classic is one holiday product with builtin games, while Switch popularity rise with evre new bigger game.

Brii said:
quickrick said:

That's if you go with the assumption that demand is static and will never increase past the point the console is first released, which is ridiculous. If Sony manufactured and put 70 million PS4 consoles in stores day 1, do you think all of them would have sold?

we will have to see how it's start selling next year. we know now demand has been met, so next year will very interesting, just like how long can super nes classic continue to sell. the reason i don't think nintendo can keep on selling that well is because nintedo handheld market will continue to decline because of mobile, and thats nintedo bread and butter

quickrick said:
Luke888 said:

2M in November with NO sales/pricedrop is pretty big, especially when the competition is 100$ cheaper

ps4 probably did near 4.5 million in novemebr. 100$ cheaper yea but 4 years older, so 100$ is nothing really, 3ds, GC, and wiiu being cheaper sure didn't make them sell like hot cakes.

The whole its 4 years old excuse makes no sense.

It doesnt matter how old it is when this is its peak year.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

If they can catch up with demand, I see no reason as to why Japan wouldn't be Nintendo's strongest region, week in and week out for 2018.