By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - NVIDIA TITAN V Announced..... $3000

JEMC said:
Skeeuk said:
Off topic I have a chance to swap my evga SSC 970 for a MSI armour 1060 3gb I've seen videos where the 1060 3gb is always ahead even on high settings. Is it a good swap?

A GTX 1060 performs almost like a GTX 980, so you'll see some improvement. But don't get the 3GB version, go for the models with 6GB.

Only the 3gb is available, the 6gb is £100 more is it still a good swap? The FPS videos showing the 1060 3gb always higher FPS even on highest settings

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network
Skeeuk said:
JEMC said:

A GTX 1060 performs almost like a GTX 980, so you'll see some improvement. But don't get the 3GB version, go for the models with 6GB.

Only the 3gb is available, the 6gb is £100 more is it still a good swap? The FPS videos showing the 1060 3gb always higher FPS even on highest settings

The 3GB model will still be faster than a 970 but you may be limiting yourself to play at slightly lower settings than you could, and that's because you'll be replacing a 4GB (or 3.5+0.5GB) card for one with 3GB.

Here's the VRAM usage of several games:

DIRT 4: https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/08/08/dirt_4_real_gameplay_video_card_performance_review/12

Need for Speed Payback: https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/11/20/need_for_speed_payback_video_card_performance_review/10

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus: https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/11/13/wolfenstein_ii_new_colossus_performance_review/11

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Impressive, though price is quite staggering.

This probably also means that Nvidia will bump up prices across the board for consumer cards... Thanks AMD Oh well, no competition means my next card will most likely be a GTX2080.

Last edited by hinch - on 10 December 2017

Not sure if rumor, but bechmarks are out and this is only 20%-30% better than a 1080ti in games. Is that really worth it for like almost 4 times the price?

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
Not sure if rumor, but bechmarks are out and this is only 20%-30% better than a 1080ti in games. Is that really worth it for like almost 4 times the price?

It isn't a gaming card.
It is actually pretty cheap, when you consider that it has decent FP64 compute.
12GB of HBM with 652.8 GB/s of bandwidth is a huge plus point.
Throw in those Tensor cores, and you have one justifiable purchase.

The card is not worth its price tag if the owner just wants to play games.

Around the Network
hinch said:

Impressive, though price is quite staggering.

This probably also means that Nvidia will bump up prices across the board for consumer cards... Thanks AMD Oh well, no competition means my next card will most likely be a GTX2080.

I jumped onto Polaris as I got tired of waiting for Vega.... And just couldn't stand dealing with Cedar.
Hoping Navi is enough of a jump over Polaris to warrant a purchase... As Vega wasn't it.
Otherwise I might actually do the unthinkable. Make a wander over to the green side. (Something I haven't done in years.)

Still, we should get Navi in about 6-9 months, not to much longer to wait with only a Polaris based card.

There is also a few things being floated around that AMD may take a Threadripper approach with Navi, where AMD uses it "fabric" to stitch together a heap of smaller, cheaper to manufacture chips... Which could mean some big things as far as price/performance is concerned and should result in less re-badging of old crap.

caffeinade said:

It isn't a gaming card.
It is actually pretty cheap, when you consider that it has decent FP64 compute.
12GB of HBM with 652.8 GB/s of bandwidth is a huge plus point.
Throw in those Tensor cores, and you have one justifiable purchase.

The card is not worth its price tag if the owner just wants to play games.

"Worth" is all relative. There is likely gamers out there who can justify the purchase price of these.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

This is great for mining bitcoins, IJS.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Pemalite said:

I jumped onto Polaris as I got tired of waiting for Vega.... And just couldn't stand dealing with Cedar.
Hoping Navi is enough of a jump over Polaris to warrant a purchase... As Vega wasn't it.
Otherwise I might actually do the unthinkable. Make a wander over to the green side. (Something I haven't done in years.)

Still, we should get Navi in about 6-9 months, not to much longer to wait with only a Polaris based card.

There is also a few things being floated around that AMD may take a Threadripper approach with Navi, where AMD uses it "fabric" to stitch together a heap of smaller, cheaper to manufacture chips... Which could mean some big things as far as price/performance is concerned and should result in less re-badging of old crap.

To break the bad news to you Navi probably isn't until 2019. What we're most likely going to get in 2018 is Vega 20 which is Vega 10 ported to 7nm ... 

fatslob-:O said:

To break the bad news to you Navi probably isn't until 2019. What we're most likely going to get in 2018 is Vega 20 which is Vega 10 ported to 7nm ... 

Or. We might not.

If we look at how AMD has released GPU's since GCN first came onto the scene... AMD has often just re-badged/re-released GPU's and sprinkled a couple new GPU's on top.

But looking at the roadmaps, the leaks... Seems we are getting Navi around August next year.
And to be fair... There are several people on this forum who once tried to convince me we wouldn't be getting Vega this year at all, that it would drop next year... ;)

I tend to be right more often than I am wrong about these things. :P

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

Or. We might not.

If we look at how AMD has released GPU's since GCN first came onto the scene... AMD has often just re-badged/re-released GPU's and sprinkled a couple new GPU's on top.

But looking at the roadmaps, the leaks... Seems we are getting Navi around August next year.
And to be fair... There are several people on this forum who once tried to convince me we wouldn't be getting Vega this year at all, that it would drop next year... ;)

I tend to be right more often than I am wrong about these things. :P

The only thing AMD has promised is that they'll roll out Navi before 2020 so I doubt they were that confident in bringing out Navi to the market before 2019 otherwise Vega 20 wouldn't be in their plans for next year ... 

AMD has dropped the ball big time by not promoting their own vendor specific enhancements and they haven't been doing a good job on capitalizing their advantage in the console market or DX12 adoption ...