By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinion: Nintendo Switch will still FAIL

Will the Switch fail just like the WII U?

Yes; without a strong 3rd party support 35 18.52%

No; Switch does not need 3rd party support 84 44.44%

Other 54 28.57%

See Poll Results 16 8.47%

Total:189

I love the "it has no 3rd party games!!!" argument when Switch currently has about 300 games and less than a dozen are developed/published by Nintendo.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
FattyDingDong said:

Now you are welcome to disagree with me and this is all my opinion. But after carefully observing the Switch over months I have concluded that it's a fad that will wash away painfully soon. I will admit that it offers a great concept but without a substantial 3rd party support it will have the same fate that the WII U had. Thus far the Switch has enjoyed great AAA 1st party exclusives such as Zelda and Mario releases but if we think about it Nintendo never had to suffer with the 1st party support, they have always had strong 1st party backing and as much as I hate to bring this up again, they need huge 3rd party backing from Activision, EA, Ubisoft etc.   You may hate COD, Battlefield, Madden, Assassins Creed etc. and a lot of Nintendo fans will naturally not pay too much attention to those titles however in order to target the massive amount of casual consumers Nintendo needs support from those giant publishers.  EA has recently announced that aside from a FIFA port they have no desire to publish any of their AAA games for the Nintendo platform,   Activision has refused to even comment on the possibility of brining COD to the Switch (can you imagine how great of an idea it would be to play COD on the go?   DOOM is fantastic on the Switch). Ubisoft and other major publishers have also been rather unenthusiastic about the Switch.

Therefor, I am convinced that the Switch is a fad that will go away within a year or two. And I am not a hater by any means as a matter fact I want it to succeed because i believe it's a very unique concept, however with lackluster 3rd party AAA support it has a very predictable fate.

The Switch has better or equivalent support to the Wii - the Wii most certainly did not need any of those titles to succeed. The Switch, in contrary to the WiiU, *does* have the mainstream-media attention to pull it off. It has momentum - that's extremely important, could bring more publishers to approach the system. They're cautious, due to the WiiU, but they'Re most definitely testing the waters, and if it does good enough, they'll get it.

3rd parties *do* help. But it doesn't have to be the AAA titles, the newest titles. MarkB, Octopath Traveller, etc... many third parties have shown great interest in the Switch as a system for mid-sized games, and I think that's enough, really.

I'd be willing to make a bet, if you will - 35 million units, by the end of 2019? 

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Acevil said:
First define failure to me.

OP's post

Whatever the parameter for failure is this week, you have to be absolutely beyond the realm of reality if you think it is still going to fail at this point.

Mainline Pokémon= Automatic Non Failure

Around the Network
Acevil said:
First define failure to me.

OP's post

This is not savage. This is clean, precise and painless.

The poll lacks options. Switch doesn't need strong western third party support beyond what it's currently getting. Switch isn't like the any other Nintendo console that came before it. Switch's library is like a fusion between Vita, 3DS, and Wii U. Like Wii U it's getting all the AAA 1st party Nintendo titles. Like 3DS it's getting the AA first party Nintendo titles. Like Vita it's getting third party western ports, and heavy third party niche Japanese support.

Vita failed because 3rd party ports, and niche Japanese support doesn't move units.
Wii U failed because 1st party games don't move units by themselves.
3DS was moderately successful, but really lacked a high attach rate.

Combine all three and you get something that will be extremely successful.

This is like an entry grade level of a synopsis for a theory, even for VGChartz.

But whatever. This is what happens when a company has a very inconsistent track record for console sales. You'll get people doubting their success. Doesn't happen with Playstation and even Xbox is easier to predict. I personally think that the Switch is set for success, but I can at least understand why you think this.

Even if it's very ... misguided.

I can see it too, its not guarteed to sell 100mil (or 50mil). Its still too early to tell. That said nintendo has an advantage unlike anytime before

*Price: Its still this hot item competing with ps4 (and x1) despite being more expensive (regular sku of ps4/x1) and they can always cut it. Looking at 3ds it was already down to $170 and switch is pulling ahead of that.

*Unified library. Unlike before too the games coming out from a 1st party perspective will increase at least by 50%. It has shown this year.

*Third party, not AAA but indie support. The vita was good for this and switch is shown to be even better. Even competing on par with the other 2 consoles

*The system sellers havent even come out yet. Aka pokemon/Animal crossing/super smash bros/etc

If it doesnt succeed, then nintendo must have done something horribly wrong

I kinda agree with you, it'll fail as a handheld but succed as a home console. It happens a lot with Nintendo hardware, very frontloaded.

I know... my English sucks.

I kinda have the same feeling but you can't deny that it has resonated with people, mainly japanese and american audiences. I think they may have played their cards a bit too soon with main Zelda, Splatoon, and Mario titles in rapid succession (although it gave them great momentum) but only time will tell if they can fill in the gaps for next with worthy titles.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian