By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 worldwide sales top 70.6 million, PlayStation VR tops two million

poklane said:

Last year they did 3.4m between December 6th and January 1st, don't see why it would be lower this time. If Sony does another deal for Christmas and has enough stock I don't see why they wouldn't reach 74m by January 1st.

Interesting. With the $199 PS4 making a return soon, I can see that number equalled, if not bettered. 

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
On Dec 6, 2016 they announced 50 million so over 20 million in the last 12 months. Great sales!

Nope it sold 53.4 million in as of december 31st 2016. 

Intrinsic said:
Playstation_awaiter said:
Damage control, I’m expecting the worst for NPD.

even if it did the worst at NPD. It still has sold more YOY and it has sold more than 70M.

In 4 years. that's good enough by any standard. 

I’ve seen 3 or so people respond to this comment. Wasn’t he being sarcastic? I don’t recall ever seeing him say anything negative about Sony/PS4. 

Angelv577 said:

Pretty impressive. Surprised about the ps vr spike in sales. I am thinking of trading mine for the 199 ps vr with Gt but need to verify if that bundle has the VR with HDMI passthrough.  It is basically the reason of the trade in.

I don’t think it is the new version with HDMI pass-through. I think they’re selling it so cheap in order to get rid of the old versions? If you find out otherwise, let us know, bc I would almost certainly buy the new psvr version at $199.  

I think some overestimate the influence of US sales. It's emerging markets that are now really driving PS4 and will ensure it has at least a couple more years with 18m-20m annual sales. By late 2018 PS5 speculation will be rampant, but the emerging markets sales trajectory is running a couple of years behind the established western markets, so will compensate for any shortfall.

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
zorg1000 said:
On Dec 6, 2016 they announced 50 million so over 20 million in the last 12 months. Great sales!

What are you noping about? They announced 50 million on Dec 6, 2016 and 70.6 million on Dec 7, 2017. Thats over 20 million in 12 months.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

What are you noping about? They announced 50 million on Dec 6, 2016 and 70.6 million on Dec 7, 2017. Thats over 20 million in 12 months.

Ah yep. My foggy mind must of thought it was already January 1st

zorg1000 said:

Haha must have been an uneventful New Years if you thought it was the 1st

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

pitzy272 said:
Intrinsic said:

even if it did the worst at NPD. It still has sold more YOY and it has sold more than 70M.

In 4 years. that's good enough by any standard. 

I’ve seen 3 or so people respond to this comment. Wasn’t he being sarcastic? I don’t recall ever seeing him say anything negative about Sony/PS4. 

Its not about him being negative. Thing is I won't be surprised if Sony came last in November NPD. But it's that this is one of those times when coming last isn't a bad thing. 

zorg1000 said:

Haha must have been an uneventful New Years if you thought it was the 1st

Or he might have had one helluva black Friday hangover.

Storeman67 said:
I think some overestimate the influence of US sales. It's emerging markets that are now really driving PS4 and will ensure it has at least a couple more years with 18m-20m annual sales. By late 2018 PS5 speculation will be rampant, but the emerging markets sales trajectory is running a couple of years behind the established western markets, so will compensate for any shortfall.

Yeah it makes me really wonder what the sales are for smaller individual markets like China, India, SK, Israel, Eastern Euro and Scandinavian countries.