SSAA 8 53.33%

MSAA 3 20.00%

SMAA 2 13.33%

FXAA 0 0.00%

TAA 2 13.33%

Total:15
curl-6 said:
caffeinade said:

But it also damages the rest of the image.

At a standstill, I thought it was 900p, which I guess is a good thing.
In motion it is almost painful.

I don't have the ability to take high quality screenshots or video to show you what I mean.
You are just going to have to trust me on this one.

It can cause some blur and artefacting, but these are nowhere near as prominent or detrimental as the nasty in-your-face jaggies of no AA.

Well, that is subjective.
It is perfectly fine to prefer the the results of temporal AA and FXAA to a raw image.
I am not a fan of these methods, and that is fine too.

FXAA and temporal anti-aliasing does harm image quality, this is not really something that can be debated.

Players should always have options to tweak the game to their desired settings.
In the case of Xenoblade 2, I would either, do without AA or use SMAA (Or play on PC, if really given options).

Around the Network
caffeinade said:
curl-6 said:

It can cause some blur and artefacting, but these are nowhere near as prominent or detrimental as the nasty in-your-face jaggies of no AA.

Well, that is subjective.
It is perfectly fine to prefer the the results of temporal AA and FXAA to a raw image.
I am not a fan of these methods, and that is fine too.

FXAA and temporal anti-aliasing does harm image quality, this is not really something that can be debated.

Players should always have options to tweak the game to their desired settings.
In the case of Xenoblade 2, I would either, do without AA or use SMAA (Or play on PC, if really given options).

It's also not debatable that aliasing harms image quality.

Any assessment of which is more/less pleasant will of course, by the very nature of individual perception, be subjective.

At the end of the day, AA is standard in nearly every modern game for a reason.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

caffeinade said:
pokoko said:
TAA is a vile thing and should be burned from this earth.

I finally figured out that it's the main reason why some games give me terrible headaches. I don't mean the kind that go away with a couple of Tylenol, I mean the kind that make me feel physically sick and destroy me for an entire day. I tried all the other fixes, like POV and turning down settings, but I'm positive it's TAA at this point because everything is fine until I move the camera.

I've been trying to figure out a way to play Skyrim or Fallout 4 again without turning off AA and the world looking like a dirty fish tank.

What kind of system are you using.
You may be able to force the use of SMAA with relative ease.

Also it is my understanding that that implementation of temporal anti-aliasing is pretty bad.
Doom's TSSAA is much better.

i5 6600k, GTX 950

I've read conflicting things about forcing AA, though, so I don't know.  I intend to look into ReShade but I need to find some kind of guide to tell me what I'm doing.  I don't care much about graphics, to be honest, but this TAA thing is basically QoL for me.  

The hyper-blur totally unfocuses my eyes and, I assume, confuses my brain.  It's a shame because it looks great when perfectly still.

pokoko said:
caffeinade said:

What kind of system are you using.
You may be able to force the use of SMAA with relative ease.

Also it is my understanding that that implementation of temporal anti-aliasing is pretty bad.
Doom's TSSAA is much better.

i5 6600k, GTX 950

I've read conflicting things about forcing AA, though, so I don't know.  I intend to look into ReShade but I need to find some kind of guide to tell me what I'm doing.  I don't care much about graphics, to be honest, but this TAA thing is basically QoL for me.  

The hyper-blur totally unfocuses my eyes and, I assume, confuses my brain.  It's a shame because it looks great when perfectly still.

Hmm, you probably don't have enough GPU overhead to use MSAA (if available) or a form of SSAA.

Skimming through, these don't seem like bad solutions:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/3z16j4/injecting_smaa_to_games/
http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout4_1.html

Hopefully all goes well; I don't own or care all too much for Fallout 4, so I am not able to give detailed instructions.

Is AA needed now that we’re moving towards 4k?

And here’s what Digital Foundry had to say about InFamous:SS’s AA:

Also worthy of note is the implementation of state-of-the-art anti-aliasing, believed to be a variant of SMAA T2X, as found in Crysis 3. This is one of the best post-process anti-aliasing techniques we've seen, combining a new take on MLAA with a temporal element.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:

Also worthy of note is the implementation of state-of-the-art anti-aliasing, believed to be a variant of SMAA T2X, as found in Crysis 3. This is one of the best post-process anti-aliasing techniques we've seen, combining a new take on MLAA with a temporal element.

We will likely still need AA at 8k.
An increase in resolution, does reduce the problem.

Hopefully I can complain about 8k soon.

I wish there was an option to turn AA off in Xenoblade 2, and also remove the sharpness filter on portable. That - alone - would make for a more pleasant experience to me.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Make Your Switch Games Sharper! Improve Picture Quality without Hacks or Mods – Bit Sized, Episode 4

Lawlight said:

The higher the resolution and pixel density the less aliasing is noticeable.

For instance, I have a 4k 27" monitor. Playing without aliasing is sometimes the better option for having a sharper image.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti 11GB VRAM | Asus PG27UQ gaming on 3840 x 2160 @120 Hz GSYNC HDR| HTC Vive Pro :3

Reached PC master race level.

I prefer Motion blur and putting the rest into performance or visuals

Lawlight said:

Yes.

Lawlight said:

Hybrid approaches will be the way forward as it tries to give us the best of both worlds, performance and image quality.

Peh said:

The higher the resolution and pixel density the less aliasing is noticeable.

For instance, I have a 4k 27" monitor. Playing without aliasing is sometimes the better option for having a sharper image.

For me it depends on the game, if it's a hyper realistic game with lots of fine details, then turning off FXAA is preferred.
But something that is a little more cartoony that doesn't have lots of fine details like Overwatch? Looks better with FXAA in my opinion.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--