By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Star Citizen hits 170 million in funding

Chazore said:
eva01beserk said:

Looks to me like there is still no such game. Or if it ever will come.

Patience is a virtue.

It's foolhardy to go "give it now", when the game is still in development. 

I completely understand that. But if it keeps being delayed this game will be irrelevant. specially a game so fixed on graphics. in a few more years after gen 9 starts power will be pointless as games now look so similar to the majority, at thouse higher specs very few will be impressed.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Chazore said:

Patience is a virtue.

However, longer development isn't necessarily meaning that they're continually expanding and improving it. There could be things that are scrapped. Duke Nukem Forever for example had to be re-worked numberous times because they took so long to develop that it'd be behind and they'd have to develop it again.

DNF was handed around, an existing IP that was already worked on by other teams, which is rather different to how this brand new IP is being handled. The way they have it planned out far exceeds what DNF had planned.

This is one diagram of their plans:

http://jolstatic.fr/www/captures/1895/1/123481.png

Also, just because DNF was in devlopement for a time, doesn't mean that all games with long dev plans are going to fail or die on the spot.

eva01beserk said:
Chazore said:

Patience is a virtue.

I completely understand that. But if it keeps being delayed this game will be irrelevant. specially a game so fixed on graphics. in a few more years after gen 9 starts power will be pointless as games now look so similar to the majority, at thouse higher specs very few will be impressed.

If it gets rushed, it'll easily be dog piled on for not being what it was marketing itself to be. We also do not know for sure that 9th gen is going to create hundreds of SC games, that are exactly the same in power and scope that SC is aiming for.

Very few are impressed with this game in general, even from day 1. Those that don't like the game aren't going to buy into it and continue to talk about the non defined release date.

Also, we've yet to take into account, that there are all kinds of devs out there who have spent years on their games, yet not telling a soul about it until release day, which also tends to give the impression that their games didn't take as long as people thought they would. MMO's, good MMO's aren't churned out within a year or two, they take years to form. WoW wasn't created overnight either, that game took some years to form itself.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

VGPolyglot said:
Chazore said:

Patience is a virtue.

However, longer development isn't necessarily meaning that they're continually expanding and improving it. There could be things that are scrapped. Duke Nukem Forever for example had to be re-worked numberous times because they took so long to develop that it'd be behind and they'd have to develop it again.

Both Half-Life games had a rough development period.

Star Citizen is at least making good progress on the technology front.
People can, right now play and test a decent amount of core gameplay  tech features in their raw format.

If that will result in a well designed game, is still yet to be seen.
The game will at the bare minimum be a technical marvel for its time (even if the final release is overshadowed by another game, the early builds are unparalleled, right now).

BasilZero said:
Kerotan said:

I thought pc gaming was cheap?

It is cheap, I guess not everyone can be a good/smart consumer like me :P

---

26 years of Nintendo gaming for me spanning the systems of NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, WiiU, GBC, GBA, NDS, 3DS

Total Nintendo games = 228 games

----

13 years of Playstation gaming for me spanning the systems of PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 and PSP

Total Playstation games = 152 games

----

5 years of Steam games (not including Uplay, Origin, GOG) spanning across two PCs (my current gaming desktop and my current gaming laptop)

Total Steam games = 1,289 games

I didnt include Origin, Uplay and GOG (or any of the F2P games) despite having a total of 154 games with these digital platforms

Also when it comes to individual gaming prices, the most I've ever paid for....

A Nintendo home Console game = $60 (The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild)
A Nintendo portable game = $50 (Bravely Default Collector's Edition)

A Sony home console game = $50 (Persona 5)
A Sony portable game = $40 (Valkyrie Profile Lenneth)

A Steam/PC game = $16 (Final Fantasy IX)
A Origin/PC game = $15 (Mass Effect 3)
A Gog/PC game = $0 (Havent bought anything from GOG but have 75 games thanks to GOG Connect)
A Uplay/PC game = $0 (Havent bought anything from Uplay but have 10 games thanks to giveaways)

I still spent less money on PC gaming in the last 5 years than what I spent on both Nintendo and Sony games for the past 26 years COMBINED.

How can you compare FF9 or Mass Effect 3 on PC with the latest games on consoles and claim its just cheaper on PC therefor?

FF9 for PS1 costs 15€ physical or 10€  digital for PS3, Mass effect 3 can be gotten for 3€ used on PS3. Not all of these 1000 steam games were full AAA games when you bought them.

caffeinade said:
Mar1217 said:
How is it still going on ?!

Same reason Ghost of Tsushima has sold over a million copies.
Hype.

I didnt know that Sony is charging us money constantly to play a Beta of that game.

Around the Network
Ruler said:
caffeinade said:

Same reason Ghost of Tsushima has sold over a million copies.
Hype.

I didnt know that Sony is charging us money constantly to play a Beta of that game.

Never said they did.

Downloading this game is a nightmare. Hope it finishes soon. I liked what i played so far.

BasilZero said:
Ruler said:

How can you compare FF9 or Mass Effect 3 on PC with the latest games on consoles and claim its just cheaper on PC therefor?

FF9 for PS1 costs 15€ physical or 10€  digital for PS3, Mass effect 3 can be gotten for 3€ used on PS3. Not all of these 1000 steam games were full AAA games when you bought them.

Ahh Mr I dont know Math measuring stick.

More than half of the steam games I have are AAA games (regardless of how long ago they were released) - just because I dont buy games day 1 blindly like most people who dont know how to manage money doesnt make the games non-AAA when their price goes down. Along with that even if they are ports of old games, doesnt make them non-AAA. FFIX will always be a AAA game, majority of the games especially with the big named RPGs these days, dont even hold a candle to it.

I've gotten AAA games which were full price on consoles when the PC versions were cheaper - prime examples include the Resident Evil games.

Its been proven multiple times with games that were released this year even. Resident Evil 7 and Nier Automata were both 20-30% cheaper on PC on the first week of release compared to console versions - its amazing what having competitive resellers (GreenManGaming, Humble, IndieGala, Groupees, BundleStars/Fanatical, Amazon Digital, etc) can do compared to something like PSN which is limited to one or two stores (PSN itself and Amazon Digital only).

As much as you dont want to admit it, every third party multiplat is cheaper on PC than on consoles regardless of whether its on day 1 release or within a few months of release - this has been proven so many times, even you made a thread about how a game was cheaper on PC than on console few months ago lmao.

Edit: Dont bother responding back because reading your posts makes me lose brain cells, I dont want to lose my math skills.

Anyways I'm done with this thread, Star Citizen is not my cup of tea and I dont really have much faith in this game.

Haha do you feel uncomfortable talking to me? 

You just pointed out that all games are AAA titles during their release, but this is true for consoles games like on PS3 or PS1 which i have mentioned above, which can be cheaper on their respective console.

There are a lot of ways getting comsole games cheaper on day 1. I got Nier Automata for 55€ by going for a UK version or Tekken 7 for 50€ digital from the UK PSN store, as their currency is less worth now (they normally cost 70€).

In the US there is Best Buys Gamers Club Unlocked that makes new games cost 20% less, so 48$ instead of 60$. So no there are plenty of opportunities in getting games cheaper, especially later on when they are PSN/XBL sales and also more used games available.

Thats ridiculous for a single game budget. Theres no way the final product will live up to the hype. Can someone give me a lowdown of whats going on with the game right now. Does it have a release date or what?

caffeinade said:
Teeqoz said:
Roughly 90$ per backer on average.

PC gamers are all pirates!

PC Gaming is Dying.

Captain_Yuri said:
God I want to back this game but I just can't. While it's visuals are PCMR worthy at it's finest... It's business model is pretty much as nonsense as it gets. Apparently, u can buy land in the game now with real money which is like.. :T

Granted you could buy it with in-game currency but cum on.

Hopefully one day, they will finish it and the price will be reasonable but until then... :T

Yeah. The microtransactions are bullshit.

I am going to personally wait for the proper full release and then jump in, I have zero intention of paying for anything else other than the base game.

Chazore said:

Apparently we'll be able to buy that the regular way upon full release. I don't think they are literally going to make the game, where you have to be a bank manager, in order to afford anything.

If they make in-game currency worth peanuts compared to real cash by release day/month, they are going to know about it

Indeed. With the current negative climate in regards to microtransactions/loot boxes, companies need to tread carefully at the moment... Or suffer the wrath of wallets closing as EA found out the hard way.

Chazore said:
Can't rush progress though. Not like most AAA devs do these days within 1-2 years

Game was supposed to be out in 2017 if their original campaign was to go by... But then as their funding increased and feature creep set-in... And then they had to do massive rewrites to CryEngine... Well. Development time has blown out, which was entirely expected.

And I don't mind a release being delayed if we get a better product out of it... Chris Roberts has my trust as he made some of my favorite space games.  (Freelancer, Starlancer, Wing Commander.)

Kerotan said:

I thought pc gaming was cheap?

It is. People are spending a ton of Microtransactions. (Ships, land etc'.)
But PC Gaming can also be expensive, more expensive than any console if you opt for the best.

eva01beserk said:
This has to be a scam. I see a prettier version of no mans sky happening. There cant be this little progress after all this time and money.

Have you played any of the modules?

Have you played any of the prior games that Chris Roberts was a part of? You should give them a try, it might just change your mind.

Ruler said:

New released PC games are generally $10-$20 cheaper than their console counterpart.
Also... If you ever buy a PC game at full price, then you truly are silly and you are doing it wrong, there is always a sale on somewhere.

PC gaming is indeed cheaper than console, if you are smart about it, this argument has been done to death and the math already presented.

Ruler said:

In the US there is Best Buys Gamers Club Unlocked that makes new games cost 20% less, so 48$ instead of 60$. So no there are plenty of opportunities in getting games cheaper, especially later on when they are PSN/XBL sales and also more used games available.

Playstation Network/Xbox live sales doesn't hold a candle to a Steam sale. Steam is in another league entirely.
But you want to know something? Steam isn't the only place to buy PC games.

Mystro-Sama said:
Thats ridiculous for a single game budget. Theres no way the final product will live up to the hype. Can someone give me a lowdown of whats going on with the game right now. Does it have a release date or what?

Well. It's budget does place it above games like Destiny and Grand Theft Auto IV... Making it the 5th largest game development budget of all time. - But still behind the likes of StarWars: The Old Republic, Final Fantasy 7, Grand Theft Auto 5, Modern Warfare 2 when adjusted for inflation.
However... That budget is still increasing.

At the moment, there is no release date for the full game, they are essentially building the game in "chunks" and releasing them in a staggered release... Which is where the Hype is coming from... As gamers are actually able to play portions of the game and see where it's going.

Will it live up to the hype? Who knows. But considering how much I adored Starlancer, Wing Commander and Freelancer, I'm expecting a fun game either way.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--