By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Monolith Soft president wants to play Xenoblade Chronicles X on Switch

Tbh story wise X isn't that great and they should have delved into it a bit more along with the characters but X is meant to be an alternative approach to the Xenoblade template anyway which is why it's not called XC2 it's a more exploration and let the world open up to you type of game much like Elder Scrolls. It's meant to have better exploration and such because that's the structure one that is not dictated by story.

Around the Network

One thing about Xenoblade Chronicles X that I liked more was that every little thing contributed to the goals of the main plot. Which is a nice change of pace from the first game where you had the main plot as sort of a separate thing from everything else going on in the game.

Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 have different types of stories.

XC - the story is going on a journey for revenge and taking on the different obstacles along the way. Then there's a twist, and it becomes your standard "save the world" RPG. Actually, very similar to Xenogears.

XC2 - the story is you found something, now everyone is after you and you are running from place to place to try and get your bearings. Again, kind of like the earlier portions of Xenogears.

XC - the main character pursues the story.
XC2 - the story pursues the main character.
XCX - A combination of the two above, but instead of the story being about the main character, it's about the city and human civilization.

So they are all different types of stories.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I would fully support this. I loved XCX (even more so than the original XC) and I was not able to fully finish it because my Wii U's external HD crashed hence deleting 60+ hours of gameplay. On top of that I do not have the time to game on home systems anymore, so having it on the go would be huge plus for people like myself.

holmen said:
Hey, kinda OT, but with all XCX masters in this thread, I stopped playing XCX about halfway due to finding it difficult to maintain my skells. Was I doing something wrong, is there some "trick" to it or is it just how the game is?

I totally adore that world. Some of the grind maybe not so much.

Hmm... so, a trick i learned is that you have to give your party members skells with insurance. For some reason if it's ensured, when they "break" them aka die, it costs nothing to recover them. So, you only need to worry about recovering your own. But it is tough, so the best way is to simply come out of the skell before it gets destroyed. 

I never had any fuel problems and i doubt you did aswell. It's easy to refuel with mirinium in the hangar, but i didn't have to do it once. Aside from that, things do get pricy above level 40/chapter 6. You need to go out and plant all the probes you can to increase that periodic cash flow.

It's also an idea to leave the game running idle while you are doing other stuff. It will drop credits and mirinium from your probes.

The only time when i struggled with mantaining the skell was at the beggining and it was because i fell trying dangerous jumps. It was a dumb idea. Once i got the flight module that was no longer a problem. 

Anyways, i agree. The grind is a bit overtuned and that's not all. Experience rewards from quests is completely out of whack and would need buffs, aswell as the credits reward if the prices were to be kept. Aka the game would benefit from rebalancing if it got an expanded port.

numberwang said:
Xeno X had a great planet and monster design with a sense of scale and discovery (only rivaled by Botw), the rest was mediocre and convoluted.

Convoluted. It's always a double edged sword in terms of criticism. Is it convoluted or is it complex? When people use that word, it's usually what it means. It gets used to describe the KH story often and the same can be said.

Is complex something bad per se, when it gives the games more depth and dynamics? Xenoblade X is complex. It doesn't hold your hand. Is it bad by itself? No, a multi layered game is incredibly good an it's why the game gets so addicting. But, it does take it to an extreme where the game could benefit from some streamlining in how these mechanics are presented? Yes, i believe theres improvement to be had.

Now the mediocre. Like what? There only one thing in the entire game i would say is mediocre, wich is how sensitive the skells driving is when in vehicle mode. It is excessively slippery. Everything else in the game is good. Sure you can complain about pacing, but it's because of the type of game it was. The same problem plagues FFXV in a much worse way because everything else is plain bad on top of it. But open world games don't usually do story telling very well. Xeno X did it the best i've seen an open world do it. 

Just can't compare with the Witcher 3 cause i havent played it yet. But, i really enjoy Xeno X. Despite being grindy and slow at times, it does feel very rewarding. And man... flying with your skell everywhere is so satisfying!

Last edited by Nem - on 03 December 2017

Yes please.
Best Wii U exclusive game. (Botw is multiplatform)

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Nem said:
holmen said:
Hey, kinda OT, but with all XCX masters in this thread, I stopped playing XCX about halfway due to finding it difficult to maintain my skells. Was I doing something wrong, is there some "trick" to it or is it just how the game is?

I totally adore that world. Some of the grind maybe not so much.

Hmm... so, a trick i learned is that you have to give your party members skells with insurance. For some reason if it's ensured, when they "break" them aka die, it costs nothing to recover them. So, you only need to worry about recovering your own. But it is tough, so the best way is to simply come out of the skell before it gets destroyed. 

I never had any fuel problems and i doubt you did aswell. It's easy to refuel with mirinium in the hangar, but i didn't have to do it once. Aside from that, things do get pricy above level 40/chapter 6. You need to go out and plant all the probes you can to increase that periodic cash flow.

It's also an idea to leave the game running idle while you are doing other stuff. It will drop credits and mirinium from your probes.

The only time when i struggled with mantaining the skell was at the beggining and it was because i fell trying dangerous jumps. It was a dumb idea. Once i got the flight module that was no longer a problem. 

Anyways, i agree. The grind is a bit overtuned and that's not all. Experience rewards from quests is completely out of whack and would need buffs, aswell as the credits reward if the prices were to be kept. Aka the game would benefit from rebalancing if it got an expanded port.

numberwang said:
Xeno X had a great planet and monster design with a sense of scale and discovery (only rivaled by Botw), the rest was mediocre and convoluted.

Convoluted. It's always a double edged sword in terms of criticism. Is it convoluted or is it complex? When people use that word, it's usually what it means. It gets used to describe the KH story often and the same can be said.

Is complex something bad per se, when it gives the games more depth and dynamics? Xenoblade X is complex. It doesn't hold your hand. Is it bad by itself? No, a multi layered game is incredibly good an it's why the game gets so addicting. But, it does take it to an extreme where the game could benefit from some streamlining in how these mechanics are presented? Yes, i believe theres improvement to be had.

Now the mediocre. Like what? There only one thing in the entire game i would say is mediocre, wich is how sensitive the skells driving is when in vehicle mode. It is excessively slippery. Everything else in the game is good. Sure you can complain about pacing, but it's because of the type of game it was. The same problem plagues FFXV in a much worse way because everything else is plain bad on top of it. But open world games don't usually do story telling very well. Xeno X did it the best i've seen an open world do it. 

Just can't compare with the Witcher 3 cause i havent played it yet. But, i really enjoy Xeno X. Despite being grindy and slow at times, it does feel very rewarding. And man... flying with your skell everywhere is so satisfying!

I agree with you on the story. Xenoblade Chronicles X had a fantastic story. I loved all the different converging plot threads. I also love how every bit of it feels like it is contributing to the main goals, and not just some kind of side-plot. I LOVE driving around the world in my Skells, maybe even more so than flying.

My one gripe with XCX is the UI, it's too small.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.