By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Donald Trump: How Do You Feel about Him Now? (Poll)

Last November,

I supported him and I still do - Americas 91 15.77%

I supported him and I now don't - Americas 16 2.77%

I supported him and I still do - Europe 37 6.41%

I supported him and I now don't - Europe 7 1.21%

I supported him and I still do - Asia 6 1.04%

I supported him and I now don't - Asia 1 0.17%

I supported him and I still do - RoW 15 2.60%

I supported him and I now don't - RoW 2 0.35%

I didn't support him and still don't. 373 64.64%

I didn't support him and now do. 29 5.03%

Total:577
JRPGfan said:
DrDoomz said:

Again, if it fails or is proven to be objectively useless, the democrats win and can use it as a campaign position for decades to come. They can do this AND get some of their campaign promises done. The cost of it isn’t significant enough to sink the US economy. Far from it. From where I stand, it’s win-win-win for Democrats if they weren’t so obstructionist. The only risk they face is if it does work and the repubs can use it for their campaign.

Meaningful use of money is relative. The US is losing billions on the government shutdown alone. Do the US really need to buy another 90 F-35s? The whole efficient spending argument is silly. Governments are never efficient in spending. And 6B or even 20B isn’t really all that big relative to what the US spends in defense. A reasonable number of americans want the wall. The same way a reasonable number of americans want affordable health care for all or a streamlined immigration process. Trading one for the other seems like the smart way to go. But we all know that’s never gonna happen. :p It’s become Us vs Them, We’re ready to lose as long as you fail too mutual assured destruction kinda thing.

#1 money doesnt grow on trees, the people in power souldnt just waste, the tax pays contributions, it if they know it wont work.

#2 Trump is the jerk, wasteing money on this shut down. Why is it only the dems that should act to save the country from this waste? where is your anger towards trump? you seem to have double standards.

#3 Trump was the one to increase the military spending budget. They didnt even want or ask for it. Why didnt he instead back then put some aside for the wall?

#4 "goverment spending is never efficent",  Damn strait, we have people like Trump throwing money away, after being told by homeland security, that it wont work, on a wall, that wont serve any purpose and people like you advocateing for it.  When people behave such, you wont have a efficent government spending.

#5 "A reasonable number of americans want the wall."  Theres probably many more times, people that rather the shut down end, and we not waste money. Why should the few idoits get there way? The people that bought into Trump lies about how easy it would be to solve this issue with just a wall. These people dont even believe in facts, when the truth says something else they just ignore it

"We’re ready to lose as long as you fail too mutual assured destruction kinda thing."

and the one to blame is Trump and his followers.
Why arnt you guys willing to give? if your ready to accuse others of not just doing so.
Again double standards.

1. But they do. Governments waste money every freakin day. And the wall as a “waste” is subjective at best. Voters want it, so the government should do it. The efficient spending argument is a disingenuous reasoning and you know it. The most intelligent approach is to go via the route that fulfills the will of the ppl, because that is what democracy is supposed to be.

2. I’m not angry at anyone. I am presenting logic where all sides win because that is the intelligent thing to do.

3. And I’m saying THAT is the waste of money and THAT is actually a better position to go against. Crying over the wall thing is just silly especially since it can be leveraged to do good on both sides.

4. Yes, and the same waste happens in all governments led by just about all politicians. Wasteful spending is not a new thing or exclusive to Trump so you might want to maybe set aside your hate and HOPE for solutions that help the most ppl instead of just acting out of spite. And I am not “advocating the wall”, if you read my post a little carefully you might know that I am advocating leveraging the wall in order to get things like affordable health care for all or streamlining the immigration process.

5. I don’t think “it’s a few idiots”. Trump WON the presidency with the wall as one of his campaign commitments. It doesn’t matter what you think the smart thing to do is (because apparently, you yourself are acting less on logic and just simply lashing out if your posts are anything to go by).

FYI, I’m not with “them guys”. As I am not a Trump supporter.

This is the problem with partisan politics and those who are too invested in it. You can no longer see the nuances in arguments anymore. The second you feel that it leans on the other side, you assume that it’s balls in 100% with your enemy and you just go full attack mode. Dial down the anger a notch.

And to answer your question “Why aren’t you guys willing to give?”: Looks like you missed my point entirely. This is a HUGE opportunity for the Dems to get some of the most important legislation through a Republican controlled Executive Branch and Senate. If they were willing to compromise on a 6B wall (a pittance IMO), they can basically demand almost anything they want and if the Repubs refuse they look like complete assholes. The ball is in their court and my concern was that they are letting a golden opportunity pass them by because they refuse to let the “other side win”? FYI, I felt the same way when the Repubs were going full obstructionist with Obamacare.

Around the Network
DrDoomz said:

Personally, I have not seen a single convincing argument against the wall and why Democrats hate it so much.

Is it a $6B waste of money? Fine. Leverage it against programs you want passed. If it fails, not only did you get the programs you want, you also made the Repubs look dumb. Defund its maintenance costs once it is proven that a wall is completely ineffective in preventing illegal immigration.

If the large immoral expenditures of money is the problem, maybe fight against more military spending? The hundreds of billions spent on actual machines made to kill other ppl? The wall is a passive defensive structure, it is as about as unethical as the lock on your door.

Is it because it’ll work? Is stopping (edit. not completely of course) illegal immigration the actual problem? Wouldn’t streamlining the immigration process solve that? Isn’t that something that can be easily leveraged at this point? Build the wall but open the door.

I would love to hear actual simplified arguments at this point. So far, as far as I can see, the wall looks like it can be turned into a win-win for both sides if they only stop fighting and hating each other.

Trump can still have his wall.  The Dems are not rejecting his wall, what they are rejecting is funding the wall as a means to open the government.  They have stated that opening the government should not be part of border security and it should be a separate issue.  As far as the Dems see it, we have had 3 shutdowns in Trump presidency.  We continue to go through this with him every time he demands something without doing any work.  The Dems are tired of this tactic and probably will not budge unless he is willing to give up something significant.  The Dems has tried to worked with Trump and each time when right wing media went against what he said he would do, he has doublebacked.  I am sure there is no trust that he will ever agree to anything as long as right wing media continue to pull his strings.

Machiavellian said:
DrDoomz said:

Personally, I have not seen a single convincing argument against the wall and why Democrats hate it so much.

Is it a $6B waste of money? Fine. Leverage it against programs you want passed. If it fails, not only did you get the programs you want, you also made the Repubs look dumb. Defund its maintenance costs once it is proven that a wall is completely ineffective in preventing illegal immigration.

If the large immoral expenditures of money is the problem, maybe fight against more military spending? The hundreds of billions spent on actual machines made to kill other ppl? The wall is a passive defensive structure, it is as about as unethical as the lock on your door.

Is it because it’ll work? Is stopping (edit. not completely of course) illegal immigration the actual problem? Wouldn’t streamlining the immigration process solve that? Isn’t that something that can be easily leveraged at this point? Build the wall but open the door.

I would love to hear actual simplified arguments at this point. So far, as far as I can see, the wall looks like it can be turned into a win-win for both sides if they only stop fighting and hating each other.

Trump can still have his wall.  The Dems are not rejecting his wall, what they are rejecting is funding the wall as a means to open the government.  They have stated that opening the government should not be part of border security and it should be a separate issue.  As far as the Dems see it, we have had 3 shutdowns in Trump presidency.  We continue to go through this with him every time he demands something without doing any work.  The Dems are tired of this tactic and probably will not budge unless he is willing to give up something significant.  The Dems has tried to worked with Trump and each time when right wing media went against what he said he would do, he has doublebacked.  I am sure there is no trust that he will ever agree to anything as long as right wing media continue to pull his strings.

They are rejecting the wall all together. They said they won't negociate the wall after the shutdown.

Locknuts said:
With all these FBI and media investigations and turning up nothing, Donald Trump must be one of the cleanest people in history. I like him more and more each day now.

I believe you and I are reading totally different reports.  

jason1637 said:
Machiavellian said:

They are rejecting the wall all together. They said they won't negociate the wall after the shutdown.

Can you find a source for this claim because I have seen multiple source state differently.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/politics/democrats-reopen-the-government-before-negotiations-on-border-security

https://kbzk.com/cnn-us-politics/2019/01/20/democrats-reiterate-demand-reopen-the-government-before-negotiations-on-border-security/

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
JRPGfan said:

#1 money doesnt grow on trees, the people in power souldnt just waste, the tax pays contributions, it if they know it wont work.

#2 Trump is the jerk, wasteing money on this shut down. Why is it only the dems that should act to save the country from this waste? where is your anger towards trump? you seem to have double standards.

#3 Trump was the one to increase the military spending budget. They didnt even want or ask for it. Why didnt he instead back then put some aside for the wall?

#4 "goverment spending is never efficent",  Damn strait, we have people like Trump throwing money away, after being told by homeland security, that it wont work, on a wall, that wont serve any purpose and people like you advocateing for it.  When people behave such, you wont have a efficent government spending.

#5 "A reasonable number of americans want the wall."  Theres probably many more times, people that rather the shut down end, and we not waste money. Why should the few idoits get there way? The people that bought into Trump lies about how easy it would be to solve this issue with just a wall. These people dont even believe in facts, when the truth says something else they just ignore it

"We’re ready to lose as long as you fail too mutual assured destruction kinda thing."

and the one to blame is Trump and his followers.
Why arnt you guys willing to give? if your ready to accuse others of not just doing so.
Again double standards.

1. The wall would work.

2. Democrats are the ones not willing to make a deal.

3. The increase in Military spending was supported by most Democrats and Republicans.

4. The wall is not a waste of money because it would solve the issue on the border.

5. The fact is that with a wall illegal immigration fromt he southern border would decrease.

You do not make deals with someone who only makes demands.  You do not make deals with someone who has shutdown the government every time he could not get his way.  We are hear today because Trump only makes demands not deals.  He waited right before it was time to fund the government to make his demand.  At no point during his 2 years of presidency did he reach out to the Dems.  Actually in his 2 years of presidency the only thing Trump has done is criticize, demean, call names, blame Dems for anything and everything and reject the only big offer they gave him.  Even today he continues to negotiate by name calling and blaming.  I am not sure why the Dems would ever budge when the only thing he can do is play the blame game.  After 2 years and the flip of the house, now he needs the Dems.  He should have thought o that a long time ago.

Machiavellian said:
jason1637 said:

Can you find a source for this claim because I have seen multiple source state differently.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/politics/democrats-reopen-the-government-before-negotiations-on-border-security

https://kbzk.com/cnn-us-politics/2019/01/20/democrats-reiterate-demand-reopen-the-government-before-negotiations-on-border-security/

jason1637 said:
Machiavellian said:

Trump's questions was not "are we going to discuss it" it was "are you going to do it?" that's not the same thing. 

Torillian said:
jason1637 said:

Trump's questions was not "are we going to discuss it" it was "are you going to do it?" that's not the same thing. 

If they have no intention to consider building a wall they won't discuss it.

jason1637 said:
Torillian said:

If they have no intention to consider building a wall they won't discuss it.

And if Trump walks into a room and says "hey are you going to give me the wall if I let the government start up again" he isn't discussing it either. How is he trying to start a discussion if all he does is make the same demand he's been making for weeks without any counter offer? "Hey, if I allow DACA recipients to stay permanently will you approve the wall funding" simple as that.