By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Assassination Classroom

monocle_layton said:
Vini256 said:
I still haven't seen the anime since I collect the manga (Only one more volume to go!), but I'm pretty interested in seeing how the anime compares to the manga when I finish reading it.

What are your thoughts on the series? Curious to know honestly. Perhaps once you're done watching it you can make a final judgement on the series

Well, I really like it. It's not my favorite series, but it's still pretty charming and it's why I decided to collect it (No point in collecting if I wasn't enjoying reading it). I've been saving the last 2 volumes I bought until I get the final one this month so I can read the 3 of them at once, so I'm really curious to see how it's going to end.

Even though I'm way more into anime than manga, I still think I'm going to prefer the manga over the anime for this one because I read it first (I did watch a bunch of the episodes, but then it caught up with the latest volume I had at the time, so I stopped watching). Also because for some reason the anime felt a little bit off to me. It's probably the colors though, since the manga is black-and-white and that gives it a more "serious" look than the anime even though the plot and humor is exactly the same =P

Around the Network

Thread moved to Movies...just so people get a better idea what the thread is about. I’ll leave the name alone though.

I mostly agree though. Season 1 was fun, and I enjoyed the comedy and the main cast, but Season 2 absolutely floored me. The backstory arc was incredible, and the pentultimate episode had me bawling my eyes out. That whole scene was so well done...probably one of the most emotional anime I’ve ever watched.

Season 2 was definitely my AOTY last year, so I can definitely recommend it to anyone. Glad you enjoyed it. If you’re still craving more, there’s actually a pretty fun comedy spin-off called Koro-sensei Quest out there. It’s mostly gags, and the characters are drawn chibi style, but if you liked the characters and comedy I’d say it’s worth a watch.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Well the first season was interesting, the second season was not so good though.

But since you saw the anime I would like to point out something that makes no sense, perhaps you'll have an opinion on it.

Why would that alien teacher bother teaching and OBVIOUSLY caring for his students when he plans to destroy the world the next year? At this point one could argue that something will happen later on and there will be a revelation about him not actually wishing to destroy earth but why none of the students asked him about that?

Also the government could kill that alien if they wanted. All it would take is a high powered laser for the simple reason that no matter how fast the alien is, nothing goes faster than light. At some point in the show he says how fast he can go (I forgot how much that was, I saw the show a while back) But I remember it's way WAY slower than the speed of light...

Or maybe this is just an anime and I'm overthinking the issues

CrazyGamer2017 said:

Well the first season was interesting, the second season was not so good though.

But since you saw the anime I would like to point out something that makes no sense, perhaps you'll have an opinion on it.

Why would that alien teacher bother teaching and OBVIOUSLY caring for his students when he plans to destroy the world the next year? At this point one could argue that something will happen later on and there will be a revelation about him not actually wishing to destroy earth but why none of the students asked him about that?

Also the government could kill that alien if they wanted. All it would take is a high powered laser for the simple reason that no matter how fast the alien is, nothing goes faster than light. At some point in the show he says how fast he can go (I forgot how much that was, I saw the show a while back) But I remember it's way WAY slower than the speed of light...

Or maybe this is just an anime and I'm overthinking the issues

Why did he work with the people trying to kill him? Why did he admit his weaknesses? Heck, why does a supercreature have crippling anxiety and lack of resistance to nudes?

He's a weird enough person as it is, but the plot of him destroying the earth always seemed odd enough as it is. In the second season it explains the truth behind this (which I won't say here).

The second season took itself more seriously, which is why I enjoyed it. The plot holes with him destroying the moon were exposed, and we don't see some peachy ending.

They planned for the laser at the end because of the day he'd 'destroy' the Earth. If you go back and see his backstory you'll understand why they waited so long.

monocle_layton said:
vivster said:

See, it was the complete opposite for me. I was having fun and then decided to watch a few episodes of AC. Which bored me to tears, so I decided to go back and watch good animes again.

Like AOTY Houseki no Kuni.

Suppose AC isn't everyone's taste then. The anime you listed on the bottom seems interesting - I may gave it a go.

It's less about taste and more about quality, really. I know that people who don't watch a lot of anime tend to gravitate towards the most popular animes because those are the ones that are most often recommended. Sadly, as with everything, popular doesn't equal good or even quality. Cannot blame the people though because true quality will you only see when you watch a lot of anime and have found not only the popular ones but the ones that are just really really good in all aspects but never reach mainstream appeal usually due to their main premise or topic.

I have to warn you with Houseki no Kuni though. While it is a very high quality production, the CG and the premise might not be everyone's taste. I have more recommendations though. Everything 9 or above I can highly recommend.

https://myanimelist.net/animelist/vivster?status=2&order=4&order2=0

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
monocle_layton said:

Suppose AC isn't everyone's taste then. The anime you listed on the bottom seems interesting - I may gave it a go.

It's less about taste and more about quality, really. I know that people who don't watch a lot of anime tend to gravitate towards the most popular animes because those are the ones that are most often recommended. Sadly, as with everything, popular doesn't equal good or even quality. Cannot blame the people though because true quality will you only see when you watch a lot of anime and have found not only the popular ones but the ones that are just really really good in all aspects but never reach mainstream appeal usually due to their main premise or topic.

I have to warn you with Houseki no Kuni though. While it is a very high quality production, the CG and the premise might not be everyone's taste. I have more recommendations though. Everything 9 or above I can highly recommend.

At the same time, i may not watch a lot of anime, I still realize that some popular shows are indeed bad.

Re:Zero? Eh, not really.

Attack on Titan? Talk about disappointment.

Dragonball? Original is fine. Z is meh, but Super is garbage.

Naruto? I'd say the anime is horrendous (manga was fine). As for Shippuden, it peaked at the end of the Pain invasion and went really inconsistent.

I don't want to use this post to criticize you, but I truly believe AC should be considered a decent show at the least. It's a concept that strays away from the character with superpowers who saves his friends and turns into Jesus. As much as I dislike the anime tropes in it, it's much weaker compared to a lot of other animes I've seen (though that isn't exactly a lengthy list compared to yours). The character development is also consistently strong, and I thought it did a good job building up towards the final season.

Personally I don't pay a lot of attention to hype - hell, would AC even be considered a popular show? as I said, I only watched it because I thought its rating on myanimelist was meant to be a joke. For now however, I might look ahead to Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. A lot of people put it as one of their favorites, so I'll give it a go.

monocle_layton said:
vivster said:

At the same time, i may not watch a lot of anime, I still realize that some popular shows are indeed bad.

Naruto? I'd say the anime is horrendous (manga was fine). As for Shippuden, it peaked at the end of the Pain invasion and went really inconsistent.

I don't want to use this post to criticize you, but I truly believe AC should be considered a decent show at the least. It's a concept that strays away from the character with superpowers who saves his friends and turns into Jesus. As much as I dislike the anime tropes in it, it's much weaker compared to a lot of other animes I've seen (though that isn't exactly a lengthy list compared to yours). The character development is also consistently strong, and I thought it did a good job building up towards the final season.

Personally I don't pay a lot of attention to hype - hell, would AC even be considered a popular show? as I said, I only watched it because I thought its rating on myanimelist was meant to be a joke. For now however, I might look ahead to Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. A lot of people put it as one of their favorites, so I'll give it a go.

Your examples show that you only scratched the surface. While shounen animes are basically exemplary for anime, because those are basically the only ones that get localized, they aren't even close to the defining ones let alone the most produced. AC still falls very much into the same hero category as your general shounen.

And then there is of course the execution part. One Punch Man and MHA are very well executed despite using the very same tropes and premises as any other shounen. BTW the same goes for Re:Zero which deserves its great ratings.

There are a lot of great animes out there and the hero animes don't do justice to anime as a medium and as an art form. There are good ones among those but the really great animes are outside of that narrow genre.

For example check out Made in Abyss. This year's surprise smash hit. An example of what is possible in anime with extremely high production value. And don't let the character design fool you. This is one of the most brutal animes that has ever been created.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
monocle_layton said:

Your examples show that you only scratched the surface. While shounen animes are basically exemplary for anime, because those are basically the only ones that get localized, they aren't even close to the defining ones let alone the most produced. AC still falls very much into the same hero category as your general shounen.

And then there is of course the execution part. One Punch Man and MHA are very well executed despite using the very same tropes and premises as any other shounen. BTW the same goes for Re:Zero which deserves its great ratings.

There are a lot of great animes out there and the hero animes don't do justice to anime as a medium and as an art form. There are good ones among those but the really great animes are outside of that narrow genre.

For example check out Made in Abyss. This year's surprise smash hit. An example of what is possible in anime with extremely high production value. And don't let the character design fool you. This is one of the most brutal animes that has ever been created.

I've looked at some other shows that aren't shounen - Death Note, Death parade, Berserk (both the good and bad ones), Black lagoon, Ajin, and a few others.

I suppose each genre will have its tropes, but personally I'll happily watch a Shounen or a slice-of-life if they're good. Unlike the saturation in Western shows/movies, we can see things such as MHA come out of nowhere and break the boundaries that were set.  

I personally don't have a preference for any genre. All I know however is that the 'darker' and more mature anime series are generally more consistent if you ask me. I enjoy Seinen quite a bit, and might look at your recommendation and list (though it's rather long if you ask me lmao). 

I still think I'll enjoy AC for multiple reasons, but for now I'll probably start looking at other genres and niche series. I'll definitely trust you since you've finished hundreds of shows and see what I may overlook