By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Where is Microsoft headed from here on out?

Where do you think Microsoft will focus on?

PC 62 54.87%

Xbox 14 12.39%

Equal focus on both 37 32.74%

Total:113
NATO said:
flashfire926 said:

It is well on its way. It will do another 15M very easily.

Weekly sales of 100k, Inc holiday bump you're looking at 2+ years, how many switches do you think will have been sold in 2 years time? (clue: they're apparently manufacturing 25-30m for 2018 alone)

Xbox one will end this gen in last place. 

Less than the Wii U?

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:

i think MS in gaming is a sad story of unmet potential and an extreme case of nearsightedness. They just went about so many things wrong.

To begin with, they already always had windows. If they took the initiative and were innovative, there is no reason why steam would exist today. Instead of a steam store for the PC it would have been a windows store. They would never have needed to get into consoles.

This reasoning is validated when you consider how much they are trying to get into the PC gaming space. Sad when you consider that they pretty much always owned that space to begin with.

Then when competing as a console manufacturer..... they just were stupid about it. Like they never quite got it. Games sells hardware. sold hardware Garner's more games. This is the most prominent rule in gaming. And somehow MS just never seemed to get it.

Three console generations on and they have just 3 major franchises or IPs under their belt. Once they had like 4 (if we include fable) but now it's just 3. it's almost sad when you think of it.

saddest part is that they lost the console gaming space at the worst possible time they could have lost it. at a time when digital distribution started taking a strong foothold. When BC in future consoles is almost a guarantee. I mean, just try telling someone that has like 50 digital  games either bought or downloaded via PS+ tied to their PSN account to not buy a PS5.

I feel MS will keep doing what they are doing now. focus as much as possible on both and reap their rewards from wherever they come.

This is a fundamental truth. That being said, most of their revenue comes from services provided, even if they trail far behind in units shipped (or sold, or whatever). They do know how to turn a profit, though.

Errorist76 said:
flashfire926 said:
So a system that is well on its way to outsell the snes isn't successful? Okkaayyy......

They don't need to beat PS to be successful, you know...

By that logic the Dodge Neon was successful, just because it outsold the Ford Model T.

Ouch! That's what you think of the SNES?

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
flashfire926 said:
So a system that is well on its way to outsell the snes isn't successful? Okkaayyy......

What was the industry like back then? 

The industry is bigger now...

BUT a userbase the size of SNES is still viable. X1 has many million sellers and its a growing list.

Last edited by Mr Puggsly - on 27 November 2017

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Stay the course and fund more games is my assumption.

If they simply fund more notable projects it will change the tone. I cant imagine they created the X1X without plans to put out more games and new IPs.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
NATO said:

Weekly sales of 100k, Inc holiday bump you're looking at 2+ years, how many switches do you think will have been sold in 2 years time? (clue: they're apparently manufacturing 25-30m for 2018 alone)

Xbox one will end this gen in last place. 

Less than the Wii U?

The current race is clearly Switch, XBO, PS4.

Is "But it beat the WiiU" really what you want on the Xbox One's gravestone?

NATO said:
jason1637 said:

Less than the Wii U?

The current race is clearly Switch, XBO, PS4.

Is "But it beat the WiiU" really what you want on the Xbox One's gravestone?

No im just pointing out that the Wii U is part of the 8th gen.

nvm

Shadow1980 said:

Xbox can still do well. If they can launch the Xbox v4 at the same price as the PS5 and avoid any PR debacles or pushing some idiotic scheme sure to piss off millions of gamers (like, say, digital-only), they ought to run at least neck-and-neck with the PS5 in the U.S. and UK. They could even increase their market share in continental Europe a bit, though the PS5 will dominate there. They need to just give up on Japan, though.

i couldn't disagree more. like if you really think about it, the fate of the XBox brand right now is no longer in the hands of MS if they plan on still selling dedicated gaming hardware.

As I said in my initial post, this is flat out the worst gen for MS to drop the ball. off the top of my head here are a few reasons. 

1. next gen we won't see remasters of current gen games. What we will have is hardware that are so much more powerful that they can brute Force everything (current gen games) to 4k Rez with better frame rates. instantly extending the value of any preexisting library. Hell.... being able to play all ur current gen games at higher Rez and framerates will be enough to make a some people upgrade just as we see now with the pro and X.
  2. if they launch day and date with the PS5 (or at least in the same window) then both consoles will be similar on the performance front. more on this in (3)
  3. the games. MS simply doesn't have them. Sony has spent the past 3 console generations acquiring studios. acquiring talent to make games. And Sony allows this talent artistic freedom to make whatever they want. this ain't something MS can just muster up in 3yrs. it took Sony almost 20yrs to get there. 
so if the consoles are priced the same, have the same hardware... the only thing that can differentiate them are the games. and that's something Sony has in spades. but even worse..... what reason would anyone have to leave the PS brand when all their games are playable and look better on the PS5. When all their favorite games will be getting new "exclusive" entries on the PS5. 
Take me for instance. and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I went all digital this gen. and even if you didn't, why leave the PS library and switch to the XB? why would anyone do that right now? what is the Xbox's Trump card gonna be? 
This was the gen for MS to build on what they did with the 360. They didn't. And now I fear the race isn't theirs to win anymore. it's Sony's to lose. And make no mistake, with how successful the PS4 has been for Sony, they will push to make as powerful a console as they can make... especially when considering the PS4pro and XB1X embarrassment, and even if it means them selling it at a $100 loss just to provenance the Next Xbox. that's what they will do. 

Xbox only came into being to stop Sony.

Sony is on top right now, therefore it is a failure. It will continue to exist as long as it makes money(other than Live, which isn't Xbox dependent), so if for one reason or another it goes back to bleeding, can't keep it around. They almost ditched it some years ago.