By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Where is Microsoft headed from here on out?

Where do you think Microsoft will focus on?

PC 62 54.87%

Xbox 14 12.39%

Equal focus on both 37 32.74%

Total:113
Mr Puggsly said:

Xbox One is Windows lite, its essentially built on it. Not only does Windows and Xbox share games, but they share apps thanks to UWP.

For the 9th gen Xbox, I think they will reach the final phase of the direction they're going. Xbox would become a curated version of Windows PC. Hence, easy to use Xbox style interface running Windows PC software.

I agree with that, it seems the next logical step currently. It also feels like the current library of digital games will just be transferred to the next device. That is, if there is a true "9th" gen console, and they don't just keep uprgrading XOne without essentially renaming it.

Around the Network

They are still going to invest on Xbox, while investing on PC at the same time.

Proud to be a Californian.

Conina said:
Errorist76 said:

You’re just proving my point tbh. The console market grew to almost 300% the size. So 1/3 Of 40 Million is 13.3 Million. 13 Million 4th gen would have been slightly more than PC Engine. You call that a success?!

The problem in your logic is that you are comparing the total sales of one device versus 4 years of sales on the other device.

The console market grew to almost 300% the size. So 1/3 Of 70 Million PS4s is 23.3 Million. 23 Million 4th gen would have been in the middle of PC Engine + MegaDrive and not even half of the SNES sales. You call that a success?! ;)

You do understand, that the 40 million we hypothetically assumed for XBox are far from the actual numbers...it's more of a life-time prediction.

Errorist76 said:
Conina said:

The problem in your logic is that you are comparing the total sales of one device versus 4 years of sales on the other device.

The console market grew to almost 300% the size. So 1/3 Of 70 Million PS4s is 23.3 Million. 23 Million 4th gen would have been in the middle of PC Engine + MegaDrive and not even half of the SNES sales. You call that a success?! ;)

You do understand, that the 40 million we hypothetically assumed for XBox are far from the actual numbers...it's more of a life-time prediction.

That life-time prediction is stupid. Do you really believe that less than 10 million Xbox One units (including Xbox One X) will be sold in the next 3 - 4 years?

Kaneman! said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Xbox One is Windows lite, its essentially built on it. Not only does Windows and Xbox share games, but they share apps thanks to UWP.

For the 9th gen Xbox, I think they will reach the final phase of the direction they're going. Xbox would become a curated version of Windows PC. Hence, easy to use Xbox style interface running Windows PC software.

I agree with that, it seems the next logical step currently. It also feels like the current library of digital games will just be transferred to the next device. That is, if there is a true "9th" gen console, and they don't just keep uprgrading XOne without essentially renaming it.

I imagine they can do both. Stay in the X1 family and simplify support between Windows and Xbox. According to MS thats what UWP is doing.

Eitherway, making Xbox easier to support should be priority especially with so much content being developed for Windows but skipping Xbox. MS should meet them in the middle and make that same Windows content work on Xbox easily.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

The next xbox will probably be call xbox one something something. They want to keep the xbox one name not only because it will be part of the xbox family, but that way they can keep the backwards compatibility games without having to go through all that licensing nonsense again.

Kaneman! said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Microsoft doesn't seem to care about hardware, but only their applications and os spreading like wildfire.

I wouldn't say that. Even if they axed their Phone division, Surface seems to sell very well, and it isn't market leader either. Of course the difference is, that Surface helps with spreading the OS, while Xbox doesn't.

OK, but what does their endeavors with pc and consoles tell you about the Xbox brand? What it tells me is that Xbox is an application that will rely heavily on primarily on digital gaming.

Mr Puggsly said:
Kaneman! said:

I imagine they can do both. Stay in the X1 family and simplify support between Windows and Xbox. According to MS thats what UWP is doing.

Eitherway, making Xbox easier to support should be priority especially with so much content being developed for Windows but skipping Xbox. MS should meet them in the middle and make that same Windows content work on Xbox easily.

Unfortunately what you are talking about referring to games being developed for windows and not for Xbox are win32 games which is standard in current state. UWP won’t help there at all. It is still completely different version of the game. I think that at this point UWP helps only the other way around. It makes to port Xbox games to PC easier. Not PC games to Xbox. And Microsoft can’t force UWP to devs as well because they will risk to lose pc gamers crowd to other operating systems. PC gamers aren’t happy with uwp and I have a feeling that they will never be. Even if MS fixes all the shit they complain about. From what I read it looks like that the majority of PC gamers doesn’t like Microsoft as a company so they are not willing to support them at all. 

Conina said:
Errorist76 said:

That life-time prediction is stupid. Do you really believe that less than 10 million Xbox One units (including Xbox One X) will be sold in the next 3 - 4 years?

I think 10 million it a little low for a 4 year span, but I think 5-10million per year may be more realistic, with Sony continuing to outsell the Xbox by 2:1 and 3:1 by the 4th year (maybe more), which will be near the end of this gen anyway. Sony would have to mess up massively and Microsoft pull a rabbit out of hat at this point, to be able to put a dent into the current 2:1 sales trend. With prices of PS4 and PS4 Pro likely to fall by March next year, I think it will hit a clear 3:1 monthly difference, especially with quite a few 1st party releases due out then.

derpysquirtle64 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Unfortunately what you are talking about referring to games being developed for windows and not for Xbox are win32 games which is standard in current state. UWP won’t help there at all. It is still completely different version of the game. I think that at this point UWP helps only the other way around. It makes to port Xbox games to PC easier. Not PC games to Xbox. And Microsoft can’t force UWP to devs as well because they will risk to lose pc gamers crowd to other operating systems. PC gamers aren’t happy with uwp and I have a feeling that they will never be. Even if MS fixes all the shit they complain about. From what I read it looks like that the majority of PC gamers doesn’t like Microsoft as a company so they are not willing to support them at all. 

I think MS is gaining ground among PC gamers and their content has been doing well critically on Steam. I'm sure the Windows store has gone up in popularity as well. Hence, if they stay the course people will like MS more.

Eitherway, I still anticipate MS will close the gap on Windows software working on Xbox. In theory using software like virtual machine software could allow MS to curate PC games on Windows and its something they should take advantage of.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)