By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Modernized Their Genre?

Breath of the Wild showed those janky Western AAA open world games how it's done.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
I think you could make a plausible case that Skyrim modernized RPGs in the sense that it really brought about the open world revolution in RPGs. Ofcourse Skyrim wasn't the first open world RPG, but I don't think I'm exagerating when I say that Skyrim is the reason we have sooooo many open world games now.

Are you kidding? There are N64 games that feel more modern than Skyrim (aside from visuals of course). 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Alkibiádēs said:
Teeqoz said:
I think you could make a plausible case that Skyrim modernized RPGs in the sense that it really brought about the open world revolution in RPGs. Ofcourse Skyrim wasn't the first open world RPG, but I don't think I'm exagerating when I say that Skyrim is the reason we have sooooo many open world games now.

Are you kidding? There are N64 games that feel more modern than Skyrim (aside from visuals of course). 

The OP asked for games that modernized their genre. For me that entails bringing about a broad change in its genre. It's not enough to be a lone standout game - there has to be effects seen throughout the rest of the genre. There were smartphones before the iPhone, but the iPhone modernized the phone industry, not the Nokia N95 or whatever.

pizzanuggs said:

Okay, but what exactly did it do differently from the likes of Skyrim or Dark Souls?

Love all three of those games.

For me Breathe of The Wild's revolution in massive open world design is all about the flow.

Been replaying Skyrim on the Switch now and the "get quest. go to marker on map. kill bad guys. grab items" feels more check list like than whats offered in BOTW, where I'll climb up a  mountain, visually spot a shrine in the distance, glide over to it, discover a korok, wack about baddies with the satisfying physics. 

Also compared to Skyrim BOTW over arching goal feels more dire as I was constantly reminded of how far I've come just from the visuals (i.e. laser beams aiming at Ganons Castle).

Really is all the tiny details that make exploration fun in BOTW.

Of course, all three of these games do approach open world through 3 very different lenses and they all got things to learn from each other.

They could all learn bout making the Menu UI less  thick though!

I don't really understand this.  Isn't that just the way you play?  I explored every corner of Skyrim while mostly ignoring quests and I know a lot of other people play that way, as well.

As for "revolution", I hope not.  I hope Zelda continues to do its own thing and games like Skyrim continue to their own thing.  They have a lot of inherent differences.  I don't want to lose the freedom I love in Elder Scrolls games.

JamesGarret said:
^What pizzanuggs said.In short, it makes exploring the world actually fun.You can go anywhere and climb anything, even the tallest mountain.It also works in a way that doesn´t really feel like a checklist to do, with a huge number of icons/question marks cluttering the map.

I'm replaying Skyrim in VR atm and going the same way about it as BotW. I'm roaming around exploring every thing that pops up on the map. Both have a main quest that's largely forgettable. BotW's world is more interesting due to Zelda canon, yet you can also climb the tallest mountains in Skyrim, just don't jump of or splat! Skyrim's physics engine works quite well, nothing like shattering a skeleton with a fireball and watch all the secondary destruction as the shrapnel flies into fully loaded shelves etc. Botw however uses cartoony physics for gameplay, which is very cool, but wouldn't fit in an rpg like Skyrim.

What I found missing in BotW is exploring undergound, which Skyrim provides in droves. Skyrim does a great job at luring you on long journeys across the map by popping up some distant destination for a quest. BotW takes it one step further by simply pointing you in the direction and letting you place the marker on the map yourself. However BotW kinda ruins it with the towers to unlock and spoil the map, I choose not to unlock any towers anymore until having explored the entire section. Skyrim uses a fog of war style uncovering of the map which I prefer. Plus the growing icons on your radar for what is near while exploring work very well to find that hidden cave entrance. BotW ofcourse doesn't need that as it doesn't have caves. It does have puzzle shrines while the puzzles in Skyrim are a bit lacking. (Damn easy to spot the giant clues and levers in VR lol, must hide things better in VR)

Anyway BotW and SMO did modernize their genre in the sense that the gameplay is all split up into bite sized chunks, more suitable for handheld play. Skyrim was just a continuation of Oblivion, no drastic changes. Witcher 3 was drastic change from the mostly linear Witcher 2, but also a step back that choice didn't really make much of a difference this time. Witcher 2 had two almost entirely different campaigns based on choice which was very cool to see the other side of all the quests.

GT Sport certainly modernized their genre to plenty complaints.

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
eva01beserk said:
I hate myself for what Im about to say but destiny changed the way expansions and dlc should be made.
While I do detest the type of game destiny is is, them actually adding story content twice a year for like $20 if im correct is just awsome.

That stuff has literally been done many times.

Ka-pi96 said:
eva01beserk said:
I hate myself for what Im about to say but destiny changed the way expansions and dlc should be made.
While I do detest the type of game destiny is is, them actually adding story content twice a year for like $20 if im correct is just awsome.

Main reason is cuz I belive yearly iteration of games makes games worse. games like sport sim and racers and the like are basicly the same year after year, hopefuffy they embrace that in the future. Forza would not be doing so poorly if they embraced this.

How is that new or modern? Tonnes of games have added big chunks of story content in DLCs before, that's kind of what season passes were originally before. Even before DLCs were a thing that's what the point of expansion packs was.

Yes its been done before, but not like destiny has done. I still remember the days of diablo when we got lord of destruction a year later. It was great. Also games like path of exile wich have like 10 years improving the game and its a hell of a lot better now. But like someone said before, its not about doing it before the point of this thread. Destiny did it best and made that game relevant for 3 years after the launch was a disapointment. EA is even trying the same with Anthem.  You could say they brought it back.

While others did it before, they did not do it as well and i belive for as long as destiny did. Maybe world of warcraft but thats an mmo wich is comon. Path of exile is better but has the disavantage of being small and did not receive the spotlight and was free to play, pc only.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

SvennoJ said:
JamesGarret said:
^What pizzanuggs said.In short, it makes exploring the world actually fun.You can go anywhere and climb anything, even the tallest mountain.It also works in a way that doesn´t really feel like a checklist to do, with a huge number of icons/question marks cluttering the map.

I'm replaying Skyrim in VR atm and going the same way about it as BotW. I'm roaming around exploring every thing that pops up on the map. Both have a main quest that's largely forgettable. BotW's world is more interesting due to Zelda canon, yet you can also climb the tallest mountains in Skyrim, just don't jump of or splat! Skyrim's physics engine works quite well, nothing like shattering a skeleton with a fireball and watch all the secondary destruction as the shrapnel flies into fully loaded shelves etc. Botw however uses cartoony physics for gameplay, which is very cool, but wouldn't fit in an rpg like Skyrim.

What I found missing in BotW is exploring undergound, which Skyrim provides in droves. Skyrim does a great job at luring you on long journeys across the map by popping up some distant destination for a quest. BotW takes it one step further by simply pointing you in the direction and letting you place the marker on the map yourself. However BotW kinda ruins it with the towers to unlock and spoil the map, I choose not to unlock any towers anymore until having explored the entire section. Skyrim uses a fog of war style uncovering of the map which I prefer. Plus the growing icons on your radar for what is near while exploring work very well to find that hidden cave entrance. BotW ofcourse doesn't need that as it doesn't have caves. It does have puzzle shrines while the puzzles in Skyrim are a bit lacking. (Damn easy to spot the giant clues and levers in VR lol, must hide things better in VR)

Anyway BotW and SMO did modernize their genre in the sense that the gameplay is all split up into bite sized chunks, more suitable for handheld play. Skyrim was just a continuation of Oblivion, no drastic changes. Witcher 3 was drastic change from the mostly linear Witcher 2, but also a step back that choice didn't really make much of a difference this time. Witcher 2 had two almost entirely different campaigns based on choice which was very cool to see the other side of all the quests.

GT Sport certainly modernized their genre to plenty complaints.

Man I still haven´t had the chance to try out VR.What´s the experience like in the case of Skyrim?...does it really feel like you´re 'inside the game'?

JamesGarret said:

Man I still haven´t had the chance to try out VR.What´s the experience like in the case of Skyrim?...does it really feel like you´re 'inside the game'?

Well, first reaction is, wow this is ugly :) Yet after you get past the tutorial stage (BotW really did modernize that part) and are free to go anywhere you do feel like you're inside the game. The ability to freely look anywhere and use you hands independently to aim and pick up what you want brings it home.

It's far from perfect, it clearly was never designed with VR in mind which leads to some amusing side effects. (Like sticking your head through a wall and pulling the open door lever on the other side, or being able to fire 5 arrows per sec with a bit of practice leaving you wondering what the faster fire rate perk is going to do) Graphical glitches, low res textures and pop in stand out much more in VR, yet you get so much immersion back you don't want to go back to playing in 4K HDR with all the best mods in the world. That is, if it doesn't make you sick... Not a good game to start with in VR, but you could be among the lucky that have no issues at all with motion sickness.

It really does feel like you're entering the game. I still get that anticipation when a VR game is loading waiting for the world to appear all around me. Beam me up Scotty!

Splatoon in online shooters from the mechanics in how you move across the map to the goal The game is unique in concept and execution.
Astebreed in Shmups as they perfectly blended hack n slash with a shmup. It's a wonderful game.

SvennoJ said:
JamesGarret said:

Well, first reaction is, wow this is ugly :) Yet after you get past the tutorial stage (BotW really did modernize that part) and are free to go anywhere you do feel like you're inside the game. The ability to freely look anywhere and use you hands independently to aim and pick up what you want brings it home.

It's far from perfect, it clearly was never designed with VR in mind which leads to some amusing side effects. (Like sticking your head through a wall and pulling the open door lever on the other side, or being able to fire 5 arrows per sec with a bit of practice leaving you wondering what the faster fire rate perk is going to do) Graphical glitches, low res textures and pop in stand out much more in VR, yet you get so much immersion back you don't want to go back to playing in 4K HDR with all the best mods in the world. That is, if it doesn't make you sick... Not a good game to start with in VR, but you could be among the lucky that have no issues at all with motion sickness.

It really does feel like you're entering the game. I still get that anticipation when a VR game is loading waiting for the world to appear all around me. Beam me up Scotty!

Thanks for the explanation.Did you get to try RE7 in VR?....I´ve heard it´s currently the best VR experience on the PS4.