By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Modernized Their Genre?

JamesGarret said:

Thanks for the explanation.Did you get to try RE7 in VR?....I´ve heard it´s currently the best VR experience on the PS4.

Oh yes, I have 56 hours clocked in VR on RE7, completed madhouse difficulty twice, platinum trophy and all. It was the best gaming experience since Oot in 1998. Then BotW took that crown just months later, however Skyrim VR is almost matching BotW thanks to VR. Normally I wouldn't even compare the two.

I'll be back to RE7 in December when the new content comes out. As for what is the best atm, I'm wondering how it will feel to go back to DS4 in RE7 after getting used to having hands in Skyrim. RE7 definitely looks more polished, character presence is very real in RE7, and those boss fights, amazing in VR and that comes from someone that despises boss fights. (looking at you Thunderblight Ganon)

RE7 definitely modernized the horror genre as well. Playing it in VR turns the genre from watching it happen to someone else to happening you. Being able to naturally do simple stuff like this is already mindblowing

Around the Network

Half-Life 2
Portal
BotW
Odyssey
Left 4 Dead

Last edited by caffeinade - on 27 November 2017

I don't think Mario Odyssey or Zelda really modernised their genres. I think Mario was just a good game in a genre that as long been dormant so it kind of brought it into the modern age but as far as I can see it is just a good collectathon, nothing new to the genre.

Maybe BotW is new for its series but open world games have been pretty popular for a while, I suppose Zelda at least feels a little different from those though, not sure it modernised anything though.

I'm drawing a blank on games that have really made a big change except for one area of gaming, I think probably the most obvious revolutionary changes are coming from VR right now. In one year I've already been impressed by how different VR makes almost any game. I think it has its best times ahead even though I prefer traditional gaming, at least for now.

Shadow1980 said:
Halo CE either introduced, popularized, or perfected certain mechanics that are now mainstays of the FPS genre:

● The “Golden Tripod,” as Bungie called it. Being able to melee opponents or throw grenades without having to cycle through your inventory and formally equip a melee weapon (fists, chainsaw, or whatever) or grenades was something I had yet to experience in an FPS.

● The first truly effective integration of vehicular combat in the genre. In previous shooters I played you either didn’t have vehicles, or they were poorly implemented and tacked-on affairs.

● Massive outdoor single-player levels. Earlier games in the genre were typically limited to geographically small levels, which were frequently corridor crawls. Levels like Assault on the Control Room set the bar for big, open, spacious single-player levels, and in many ways hasn't been surpassed by non-open-world shooters (the original Crysis being an exception).

● The two weapon limit, something that was as far as I know a first in the genre. Most older games allowed you carry an entire arsenal with you, often six or more weapons, stored in a "magic backpack." The two-gun limit was interesting in that it forced you to make tough tactical decisions on the fly (“Do I go pistol and rockets, or shotgun and sniper, or maybe something else?”), especially with powerful weapons that often had limited ammo and likely had to be discarded, instead of a BFG equivalent that you could carry around all the time.

Wasn't Halo CE also the game that popularized grenades being it's own button? A lot of older games require you to switch to grenades instead of throw them naturally

I agree that BoTW modernized the genre. (Mentioned by others so I won't elaborate.)

Puyo Puyo Tetris is a great modern take on Tetris. I was never a huge Tetris fan when it first came out, but I love Puyo Puyo Tetris. The various ways that they combine the two games adds so much content to the game.

The Dark Souls series feels like a modern take on a roguelike to me. "See if you can make you can make your way through the dungeon of death" type of idea. Of course that makes Dark Souls actually easier than an old school roguelike, but I think that is an improvement since those old roguelikes were too punishing IMO.

Super Mario Maker. Do I have to explain this one?

Hyrule Warriors. Not sure if this a modern take on Zelda or a modern take on Dynasty Warriors, but I liked the results.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Wasn't Halo CE also the game that popularized grenades being it's own button? A lot of older games require you to switch to grenades instead of throw them naturally

Yeah. As far as I'm aware. That was actually part of my first bullet point: "Being able to ... throw grenades without having to cycle through your inventory and formally equip ... grenades."

Oops. Sorry! I swear I read every line ... EXCEPT that one lol!

Agree with BotW, definitely not the first for an open world action-adventure game, but it definitely modernized the Zelda series

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

RL has certainly modernized its genre of Soccar. It's been quite stale since SARPBC came out in 2008 and while the core gameplay hasn't changed much it was optimized to perfection and set the new standard for all Soccar games.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

CaptainExplosion said:
vivster said:
RL has certainly modernized its genre of Soccar. It's been quite stale since SARPBC came out in 2008 and while the core gameplay hasn't changed much it was optimized to perfection and set the new standard for all Soccar games.

So more new soccer games will use cars?

The Genre is Soccar and only loosely related to Soccer sports games. I won't hold my breath for new games in the genre as the competition is quite tough.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

CaptainExplosion said:
vivster said:

The Genre is Soccar and only loosely related to Soccer sports games. I won't hold my breath for new games in the genre as the competition is quite tough.

I didn't know of other games in the genre.

No wonder, with that kind of competition.