By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's the furthest lengths you've gone to play one game?

Tagged games:

Slightly different scenario. But during the Gamecube era at one point I was right into Metroid Prime half way through up to one of the next Boss fights. I was at the Sydney airport ready to board for a flight to catch up with my brother and parents in Brisbane. At the waiting lounge, I was seriously wishing I could cancel the flight so I could get a train back home to complete the boss level. That was during my hard core days of gaming on the Gamecube!

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Gamertag:  GamertagOz70

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
RJ_Sizzle said:
I drove through an ice storm once to pick up a game. I can't quite remember what it was, but it sure wasn't worth it. I made it though.

was at hotel in a trip to Iowa.

Left to have lunch.

Elevators not working... so I used the emergency exit... it gone to the outside of the hotel... I found it strange, but entered the car.

As soon as I turned the radio on, there was a tornado alert, and when I arrived at Pizza Hut they were saying how close it was to hit Cedar Rapids... but it never got near me, but I was tense as fuck... we don't have this in Brazil.

Man you are brazilian so why go to Iowa? I enjoy living here but I don't see too many brazilians lol.

OT: Not much.

1: When I was a kid I wanted a rare game called Romance of the Three Kingdoms IX or X. This was in only physical era, but I eventually found one 6 hours away from my hometown.

2. I bought a PS3 solely to play Final Fantasy Versus XIII. Worth

3. When I first wanted to play WoW, we didn't have internet. Eventually we got Dial up internet and I played WoW on my old PC. The experience was terrible, but it was worth. When we got better internet, the difference was amazing, but I was still held back by my terrible PC. I ended up buying a new PC in 2009 just to play WoW without lag. The end result was glorious and I was happy to play at least one of the better expansions without and problems.

Bought a WiiU just to play super Mario 3D World and Bayonetta.

Prior to that, when I was a teenager, I joined a youth group because they had a Dreamcast. I convinced all the other kids the console is shit so I could take it home myself and play Sonic Adventure. I actually bought the game myself since the games the youth group had were just demos.

SvennoJ said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
I paid about $1000 for a new computer just to play Ultima Online (plus the cost of the game and monthly subscription). I had tried it out at a friend's house, and the whole experience just blew me away. To give context, not only was this the first real MMO, but at the time I and most other people had very little experience with the Internet in general.

On top of that I mostly played the game at night, because my roommates were getting mad whenever my internet use would tie up the phone line during the day.

For me it was Everquest, I already mentioned paying $150 a month on phone bills for that, however I forgot to mention I got my own phone line just for playing Everquest. I was still living in student housing at the time with a shared phone. And yeah, pc wasn't cheap in those days and EQ was a pretty demanding game. I mostly played at night because of the cheaper phone rates. Dial up internet, 800 ms ping times, those were the days!

Yeah, I went to EQ shortly after it came out.  The funny thing about Ultima Online is that I stopped playing it a month or so after shelling out all of that money.  I loved the game, but the PVP was horribly broken.  

Looking back I am still impressed that we were able to play these massive games with just a 56k dialup (or worse) connection.

Well the PRIMARY reason I bought a Wii U was to play Bayonetta 2.

But I also wanted to play other games like Splatoon, Mario games, and a few other exclusives. Quite frankly, Bayonetta 2 was the most satisfying game I played on it. I haven't played BotW though.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
I went to my friends house.

How far away did that friend live, kinda important for the thread :p

It wasn't for a game yet I flew to New York (was still living in Europe at the time) for the premiere of The Phantom Menace, what a mistake that was. Luckily NY was pretty cool, as well as The Matrix that was still playing. I've never really liked SW anymore afterwards.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
SvennoJ said:

For me it was Everquest, I already mentioned paying $150 a month on phone bills for that, however I forgot to mention I got my own phone line just for playing Everquest. I was still living in student housing at the time with a shared phone. And yeah, pc wasn't cheap in those days and EQ was a pretty demanding game. I mostly played at night because of the cheaper phone rates. Dial up internet, 800 ms ping times, those were the days!

Yeah, I went to EQ shortly after it came out.  The funny thing about Ultima Online is that I stopped playing it a month or so after shelling out all of that money.  I loved the game, but the PVP was horribly broken.  

Looking back I am still impressed that we were able to play these massive games with just a 56k dialup (or worse) connection.

Lower standards I guess. I played on Bristlebane, or Bristlebroke, as it crashed multiple times a night for at least a month every time a new expansion came out. Link Death was by far the most common way to die, if not by the resulting trains when the rest of another party's members fled to zone out when their tank lost connection. It kept things interesting :) Raids on dial-up, how did that even work at all.

I tried to steal some kid's gameboy out of his backpack to play Pokemon Yellow when I was 6.. I am not proud of it.

Bought a ps2 just to play Rygar. It was glorious. Never been a PlayStation fan but I’m so glad I did it.

Left my NES on overnight twice to finish the original Rygar.

morenoingrato said:
Well, haven't gotten a console, but Amazon messed up my BoTW pre-order and it was not going to arrive for the weekend.
I called a bunch of stores asking if they had stock (they didn't have the WiiU version available) and only one did.
I jogged there.

I have bought GT5 on UK to ship to Brazil. But it took a long time, and there were official premiere in Brazil with simulators boot, and some racer signing off the games... I ended up buying another one there to have it signed and being able to play... My UK copy is still sealed up to today.

Farsala said:
DonFerrari said:

was at hotel in a trip to Iowa.

Left to have lunch.

Elevators not working... so I used the emergency exit... it gone to the outside of the hotel... I found it strange, but entered the car.

As soon as I turned the radio on, there was a tornado alert, and when I arrived at Pizza Hut they were saying how close it was to hit Cedar Rapids... but it never got near me, but I was tense as fuck... we don't have this in Brazil.

Man you are brazilian so why go to Iowa? I enjoy living here but I don't see too many brazilians lol.

OT: Not much.

1: When I was a kid I wanted a rare game called Romance of the Three Kingdoms IX or X. This was in only physical era, but I eventually found one 6 hours away from my hometown.

2. I bought a PS3 solely to play Final Fantasy Versus XIII. Worth

3. When I first wanted to play WoW, we didn't have internet. Eventually we got Dial up internet and I played WoW on my old PC. The experience was terrible, but it was worth. When we got better internet, the difference was amazing, but I was still held back by my terrible PC. I ended up buying a new PC in 2009 just to play WoW without lag. The end result was glorious and I was happy to play at least one of the better expansions without and problems.

Gone to a convention on the mother company... yes, not the place for tourism.

2. Well you got to play it on PS4 =p

The_Liquid_Laser said:
SvennoJ said:

But today with 100MBps we have connectivity issues and high lags =p

Zach808 said:
I tried to steal some kid's gameboy out of his backpack to play Pokemon Yellow when I was 6.. I am not proud of it.

This young you didn't even had the concept of steal properly set =]

Shadow1980 said:
DonFerrari said:

First time I saw a PSX was at a friend house and I tought it was strange to have O, triangle and square on the controller... but the tekken that was being played was fantastic.

Also some friends played FF VII in Japanese without any guide... me loving FF story can't understand the point of playing without being able to understand anything.

I honestly didn't know anyone in school that had a PS1, at least not prior to me getting one. It was released in my freshman year of high school, though that school year nobody really cared for the PS1 in the U.S. The PS1 had an install base of only about 1255k at the end of August 1996, and my home town represents about 0.006% of the total U.S. population, so assuming we also represented the same share of PS1-owning households, at the start of my sophomore year there might have been 75 households here with a PS1, and not all those would be households with a kid of high school age. It was hard to find anyone who actually had a PlayStation, and there wasn't a ton of talk about it. But you didn't have to look far to find someone who had either an SNES or Genesis, or who still had an NES. By time the PS1 really started to take off, I was in my junior year, and by that time I was already hanging out with a friend who had an N64, a system I actually knew about and was interested in. I did see some increased interest in the PS1 by that time, but nobody I actually hung out with after school had one. When I finally bought a PS1 in 1998, the year my senior year started, I still had yet to experience the system first-hand. I still knew it as "that new system that has Final Fantasy on it."

Cool history. From what we see over here, before FF VII PS1 wasn't even a thing in USA. That was a true system seller and a game changer (even though I'll only play it after the new release).

In Brazil everything took a lot longer to come, so I believe it was 98 or 99 when those guys were talking about FF VII and I experience PS1 for the first time. And I'm not sure if I got to play N64 on a friends house before or after I bought my PS1 in Jan 2000. But I remember playing Sega Saturn a year before or so when RE came out and was thrilled with it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

SvennoJ said: 
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Lower standards I guess. I played on Bristlebane, or Bristlebroke, as it crashed multiple times a night for at least a month every time a new expansion came out. Link Death was by far the most common way to die, if not by the resulting trains when the rest of another party's members fled to zone out when their tank lost connection. It kept things interesting :) Raids on dial-up, how did that even work at all.

Yeah, I was so hooked on MMO's back in the day that I forgot all of the connection probelms.  Although even after I switched to broadband I still had some connection problems, just less frequently.  I played Final Fantasy XI the most, and I definitely started it after I got broadband and remember still disconnecting semi-frequently.  I think the problem was on the server side more often than my own.