By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's the furthest lengths you've gone to play one game?

Tagged games:

Nothing special ,really, but I traveled 430 Km by bus in order to play a Dance Dance Revolution Supernova arcade. DDR machines are very, very rare in my country. There were two of them in my city, but one simply vanished and the other was broken at the time.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
I paid about $1000 for a new computer just to play Ultima Online (plus the cost of the game and monthly subscription). I had tried it out at a friend's house, and the whole experience just blew me away. To give context, not only was this the first real MMO, but at the time I and most other people had very little experience with the Internet in general.

On top of that I mostly played the game at night, because my roommates were getting mad whenever my internet use would tie up the phone line during the day.

I remember this game, and not having the money to play it.

SvennoJ said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
I paid about $1000 for a new computer just to play Ultima Online (plus the cost of the game and monthly subscription). I had tried it out at a friend's house, and the whole experience just blew me away. To give context, not only was this the first real MMO, but at the time I and most other people had very little experience with the Internet in general.

On top of that I mostly played the game at night, because my roommates were getting mad whenever my internet use would tie up the phone line during the day.

For me it was Everquest, I already mentioned paying $150 a month on phone bills for that, however I forgot to mention I got my own phone line just for playing Everquest. I was still living in student housing at the time with a shared phone. And yeah, pc wasn't cheap in those days and EQ was a pretty demanding game. I mostly played at night because of the cheaper phone rates. Dial up internet, 800 ms ping times, those were the days!

Those indeed were the days... we got pleased with a lot less.

TruckOSaurus said:
d21lewis said:

Never got caught. Kept renting from there until it went out of business. I remember my cousin saying he rented something like Double Dragon 3 and when he put the cartridge in, it was Kings of the Beach Volleyball or whatever. My brother and I just laughed at our handiwork.

We stopped in the SNES era, though.

I'm amazed you were able to remove those stickers without tearing them.

Recently, my cousin ordered a copy of Blast Corps online and while the cartridge did show Blast Corps on it when we booted it up we hear "EA SPORTS!" and it was some crappy basketball game. We weren't happy!

Well in here it was common to swap boards, so everything else would look pristine.

VGPolyglot said:
TruckOSaurus said:

I'm amazed you were able to remove those stickers without tearing them.

Recently, my cousin ordered a copy of Blast Corps online and while the cartridge did show Blast Corps on it when we booted it up we hear "EA SPORTS!" and it was some crappy basketball game. We weren't happy!

I think a lot of people, rather than switching the stickers, open up the cartridge and switch the boards.

that was done a lot in Brazil (I guess that is why a lot of rental stores used seals on the screws)... and on trade places a lot of people brought their HW to test the game and confirm it wasn't a dude.

V-r0cK said:
Pokemon Go.

I literally had to go out and walk great lengths to play it.

Ow the horror right.

Rogerioandrade said:

Nothing special ,really, but I traveled 430 Km by bus in order to play a Dance Dance Revolution Supernova arcade. DDR machines are very, very rare in my country. There were two of them in my city, but one simply vanished and the other was broken at the time.

I loved the idea of DDR, but I was shy to try (I only do things in public when I'm certain I'll be over average) so the few times I gone to the shopping I didn't try because there were a lot of people on the line for the machine...

And on my sister weeding I didn't play because I was busy doing other things...

So I bought the tap for my PS2, but it never worked fine (also had power gloves for fightning game). So I only played DDR in a machine for the first time this year (I done ok for the musics I practiced on PC, but on easy of course).

Remembered another crazy thing... I bought 7 additional PS1 controllers and 2 multitaps to play Fifa with friends... most controllers weren't durable and usually couldn't manage to get everyone together to play...

Also when I was 14 I received 300 (local currency) to do my elementary school graduation trip (transport, lodging and food was paid for), the money was for beverage and buy things for me... since I wanted PS1 so much at the time, I only spent money on a single coke per meal (like 1 at the time) and had to participate in gifts exchange... got back with 250. With all Xmas and Bday money gifts I was able to save 500 and buy it in 2000.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

i traded in my original xbox and like 15 games, to get a ps2 and grand theft auto san andreas, way before it was to come out on xbox. i had to have this game after playing it at a friends house.

meh used the money left over from my doctor check up that was about 50 bucks cheaper than I expect to buy The world ends with you on ds after hearing nonstop praise..turned out to be one of my worse and most regretted purchases as I hated the game

Hmm either Xenoblade Chronicles or Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2.

Xenoblade Chronicles I purchase a new unsealed version for like $100 online. Well worth it.

Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 I purchased a PS2 slim online and both games for IDK probably $150 or so. Played for maybe like 2 hours and haven't touched it since. Obviously not worth it.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Yerm said:
theres this one old PC game called UB Funkeys that was one of my favorite games as a kid. but then at some point in 2011 Windows stopped supporting the drivers for the peripheral you needed to play it, so the game was rendered unplayable. anyways, on and off again for the next six years i shuffled through Windows settings, worked on 3 PCs, and tried using multiple modded torrents of the game files just to try to get the game to work again. i ended up having to set up a virtual machine to run an older version of Windows to get the game to work again.

so yeah, long story short i spent 6 years of my life trying to get a game to work.

was it worth it?

it got to a point where i wanted to get it working more than i actually wanted to play the game. but regardless of that fact, it was well worth it. the game is just how i remember it and it feels good to have that part of my childhood back

Bought a PS Vita just to play Trails of Cold Steel...  Which was then released on PC.  

Actually I have a good example.

I bought a Wii U for Bayonetta 2. Before I bought it, I had never played Bayonetta, or any action game(Dark Souls don't count), or many of Nintendo's franchises like Zelda or Donkey Kong etc.

I bought a Wii U just for Bayonetta 2, and it was only because a Youtuber who did Nintendo news made the game sound really appealing and made me want to get into Bayonetta and Nintendo.

All things considered I didn't have much to play at the time and I was a bored teen, so even though it was a huge risk I don't regret it. Especially since I was introduced to stuff like Zelda, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter, Pokemon(kind of) because of it. Plus Bayonetta 2 is one of the greatest games I've ever played

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 27 November 2017

Yerm said:
DonFerrari said:

was it worth it?

it got to a point where i wanted to get it working more than i actually wanted to play the game. but regardless of that fact, it was well worth it. the game is just how i remember it and it feels good to have that part of my childhood back

Well so I'm glad it worked out.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I drove through an ice storm once to pick up a game. I can't quite remember what it was, but it sure wasn't worth it. I made it though.