By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top Selling Black Friday Deals - GameStop

pastro243 said:
So ir wasn't confirmed after all?

no one knows, seems like all the articles say the same thing, the x console was ONE of the top sellers, not THE top seller.

Around the Network

So it seems like early indicators have the Ps4 BF bundle dominating brick and morter stores, while Switch seems to have done very well online (and apparently at target). This is probably going to be a close one.

Sorry guys. Forget my earlier post. I went to GS and was informed that the salesman misinformed me about the deal. I bought the bundle anyway and am now a proud PSVR owner. Couldn't be happier and I haven't even tried RE7 yet. If you dont have a vr yet...do yourself a favor and get one. Best experience in gaming....possibly ever. Cant say enough...

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?

Insidb said:
Kai_Mao said:

It’s not my intention to undermine the PS4. I have a PS4 along with a Switch so I have no incentive to talk crap about it. I even said in a previous comment in another thread that I’m glad that all of the big three are doing well. Just saying the PS4 had the head start this year compared to the Switch. Whether you interpret it as undermining or not, the fact is it had a two month start. We were all singing praises of the console when it outshined the Wii U completely despite its one year head start. I personally don’t care if the PS4 ends up selling better than the Switch all year next year or the next. As long as they all are doing well then I’m a happy camper, even as mainly a Nintendo fan.

I haven’t said anything in my opinion and argued them as fact. I said the first year lineup is really debatable, there’s nothing really fact about it unless you want to compare meta scores or sales or whatever. If you don’t think it’s debatable then that’s fine. All I was saying in the comment earlier that the PS4 at $199 with the library it has is a great deal and should do well. Where is it that I undermined the PS4 that time?

Selection bias, whether conscious or unconscious, is evidenced by confirmation of the narrative through unsolicited data points.

Things like "two month lead, best of all-time lineup, overcoming expectations," and framing the console race being all about power can be parsed out with contradictory evidence. In this narrative and so many others, for instance, the 3DS has become the forgotten soldier: it's outsold the PS4, shown the robust strength of the portable market, and that Nintendo never left. As I've long said, nothing absolute exists to define expectations: Switch is bridging markets, the WiiU tapered off and was scuttled, the Wii curb-stomped a generation, the mobile market is swallowing up portable gaming, the new console-sellers are 3rd party, etc. There's just too much data to make any meaningful predictions. Even the lineup isn't console exclusive, as they are also WiiU games. I would call it great, but even that must be tempered by that fact. 

In summation, after being hounded with the "consoles are dead mantra," 2017 has shown that to be anything but true. Not only did BF light up the sales charts, but it did 2016 one better: 3 consoles, as opposed to 2. The sales have been so impressive that we're all still debating who led the charge, and that's the great story of 2017.

I agree to a certain extent. Narrative does come into play. It’s always hard to tell on how things will play out. Which is why I kinda chuckle at times when people mention that the Switch will go downhill from here due to not having much left despite the fact that there are unknown projects to be announced so we can’t assume anything. Same with whatever Sony and Microsoft are going through.

and yea I mentioned I agree that having more competitoon thriving in the gaming industry is great.

Kai_Mao said:
Insidb said:

Selection bias, whether conscious or unconscious, is evidenced by confirmation of the narrative through unsolicited data points.

Things like "two month lead, best of all-time lineup, overcoming expectations," and framing the console race being all about power can be parsed out with contradictory evidence. In this narrative and so many others, for instance, the 3DS has become the forgotten soldier: it's outsold the PS4, shown the robust strength of the portable market, and that Nintendo never left. As I've long said, nothing absolute exists to define expectations: Switch is bridging markets, the WiiU tapered off and was scuttled, the Wii curb-stomped a generation, the mobile market is swallowing up portable gaming, the new console-sellers are 3rd party, etc. There's just too much data to make any meaningful predictions. Even the lineup isn't console exclusive, as they are also WiiU games. I would call it great, but even that must be tempered by that fact. 

In summation, after being hounded with the "consoles are dead mantra," 2017 has shown that to be anything but true. Not only did BF light up the sales charts, but it did 2016 one better: 3 consoles, as opposed to 2. The sales have been so impressive that we're all still debating who led the charge, and that's the great story of 2017.

I agree to a certain extent. Narrative does come into play. It’s always hard to tell on how things will play out. Which is why I kinda chuckle at times when people mention that the Switch will go downhill from here due to not having much left despite the fact that there are unknown projects to be announced so we can’t assume anything. Same with whatever Sony and Microsoft are going through.

and yea I mentioned I agree that having more competitoon thriving in the gaming industry is great.

Do you also chuckle when people say that the Switch will outsell the PS4?

Around the Network
Kai_Mao said:
Insidb said:

I think that only happens if 1) they do not capitalize on the DS market and 2) their market doesn't end up being circumscribed by something close to the WiiU market.

COKTOE said:
LivingMetal said:
Wait a minute. What happened to all that Xbox One X selling so well?

It was all a dream. Then we woke up and ate some more pizza.

Don't fill yourself though; you might have to make space for some crow.

reviniente said:
COKTOE said:

It was all a dream. Then we woke up and ate some more pizza.

Don't fill yourself though; you might have to make space for some crow.

Selling well is a fairly nebulous term. Which falls in line with ALL info MS provides about it's sales from the time they started getting their tail kicked up until....what time is it now? I'm sure the X will do OK though, and aside from that, the $189 S could make some waves.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

UltimateGamer1982 said:
DonFerrari said:

No, we can't stop putting every single good news about Switch above the rest.

Well, it isn't name PS4 or Switch, so it didn't done as good in BF.

It's a solid system, and first official deal (PS4 at 350 done quite good at the time as well) but surely the ranking is crazy.

There is no need to mention consoles that have been doing good every single BF. And perhaps they just wanted to focus on the new guy (although forgeting X1X released this month isn't good)

The concept here is that we're talking about BF. So the fact that you can find Switch at the BF price in several stores (perhaps not all colors/bundles at every single store) so its sales wasn't impacted by stock, but you can't find PS4 199 "at all" so it certainly affected sales.

This year on USA PS4 have been doing much better than X1. But sure Nov and Dec NPD MS could give us a surprise. But so far from what we have, November won't be the month for it.

Was already left on the first page.

That article was already torn apart yesterday on resetera. Benji pointed out that’s PR from target and not to take anything seriously from it. “It means nothing”. ~ Benji” 

It also showed psvr selling better than base PS4. That’s obviously not true. Target might have been impressed with switch sales but the bigger picture shows PS4/X1 far outpacing It according to Benji and other insiders. 

Thanks about the info... and the article wasn't even that precise saying Switch won over there for anyone to make decisions on it.

ThisGuyFooks said:

Bu-but Nintendo Switch Supply issue!!11!!!

Pictures from Yesterday (Black Friday)

Those Switch boxes are all empty... PS4 boxes have 10 system each.

carlos3189 said:
DonFerrari said:

No, we can't stop putting every single good news about Switch above the rest.

Well, it isn't name PS4 or Switch, so it didn't done as good in BF.

It's a solid system, and first official deal (PS4 at 350 done quite good at the time as well) but surely the ranking is crazy.

There is no need to mention consoles that have been doing good every single BF. And perhaps they just wanted to focus on the new guy (although forgeting X1X released this month isn't good)

The concept here is that we're talking about BF. So the fact that you can find Switch at the BF price in several stores (perhaps not all colors/bundles at every single store) so its sales wasn't impacted by stock, but you can't find PS4 199 "at all" so it certainly affected sales.

This year on USA PS4 have been doing much better than X1. But sure Nov and Dec NPD MS could give us a surprise. But so far from what we have, November won't be the month for it.

Was already left on the first page.

Are you kidding me? Why would Target not mention anything about PS4 or any product when it's selling so well? That's straight up the worse excuse...

PR talking or not, Switch has made such buzz for them to put them on the list of hottest items when PS4 isn't (and again, if it's selling the way people is claiming it is, there's no way Target wouldn't mention it on the list).

Nope, unless you think PS4 done bad, do you?

They mentioned what was in their best interest. And you yourself proved our point... Switch made Buzz for Target, so making an article that will put them in a good light is good, so they will focus on Switch.

Again verified insider put that nowhere there is a information about Switch winning.

SuperRetroTurbo said:

Gamestop is selling the PSVR Gran Turismo bundle for $199 this weekend. I'm picking mine up on hold tomorrow.

Plus I'm new here. Whats up guys? I used to have an account on GamePro...about 5 or 6 years ago...if anyone remembers that site...

That deal is a steal... Enjoy GTS and PSVR, both are fantastic.

Rayban99 said:
Is nobody going to point out that the articles being linked don't actually say what people are claiming? The switch one literally just says it was one of many items that sold well lol.

Well for the guy that is discussing it, Since Switch was named and the others didn't they all flopped and Switch sold alone.

Volterra_90 said:
Lawlight said:

Imagine the PS4 releasing at $299. Do you think a 4 year old system at $199 would have outsold it? I don’t think so.

I actually think so. Black Friday moves people because of the deals, so no deals is a huge disadvantage. I'll honestly be pleasantly surprised if the Switch wins the BF. Everything points out that every console did pretty well, so that's good new for everyone.

EDIT: Well, I think so if the console is actually popular. I mean, a 4 years old WiiU wouldn't stand a chance xD.

Errr sorry about that... PS4 and X1 released and had no deal on 2013 BF and still sold plethora and had WiiU nowhere to be seen (even costing much more), and in 2014 PS4 hadn't any significant deal and wasn't that much outsold by a X1 with aggressive deals.

Kai_Mao said:
Insidb said:

This sounds like an ad campaign, written by Donald Trump: "all the haters said that we would fail, but showed them with the best lineup of all-time!"

You even threw in the "two month head start," explicitly undermining the fact that the PS4 is still the 2017 sales leader.

Ask a Sony/MS fan about that lineup, and they don't care. Your choir is the Nintendo fanbase. Nintendo fans feel the same way about "stupid," shiny CoDs.

I just wish I could come on here and not have to read console warz fans spouting subjective opinions as facts, in an attempt to undermine competitors.

The fact of the matter is that this has been a great year for videogaming with no console being the "story of 2017." The industry's growth is the real story.

It’s not my intention to undermine the PS4. I have a PS4 along with a Switch so I have no incentive to talk crap about it. I even said in a previous comment in another thread that I’m glad that all of the big three are doing well. Just saying the PS4 had the head start this year compared to the Switch. Whether you interpret it as undermining or not, the fact is it had a two month start. We were all singing praises of the console when it outshined the Wii U completely despite its one year head start. I personally don’t care if the PS4 ends up selling better than the Switch all year next year or the next. As long as they all are doing well then I’m a happy camper, even as mainly a Nintendo fan.

I haven’t said anything in my opinion and argued them as fact. I said the first year lineup is really debatable, there’s nothing really fact about it unless you want to compare meta scores or sales or whatever. If you don’t think it’s debatable then that’s fine. All I was saying in the comment earlier that the PS4 at $199 with the library it has is a great deal and should do well. Where is it that I undermined the PS4 that time?

There are a lot of multi plat owners that do talk smack about the one they like less (there was one user here that only posted about how much he hated his PS4... well there is still one that makes sure to say how his X1 is superior to his PS4 and the exclusives for X1 also are better in almost every opportunity)... and likely I'm said to hate MS and Nintendo even though I have all Nintendo consoles from NES to Wii (and will get WiiU and Switch at some point) and a X360.

About the head start... Switch was announced before this year begun and demand pent up, so the small headstart of PS4 for the year is meaningless compared to release sales. If you wanted to use the sold out issues that would be more relevant than headstart of couple months.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said: 
Volterra_90 said:

I actually think so. Black Friday moves people because of the deals, so no deals is a huge disadvantage. I'll honestly be pleasantly surprised if the Switch wins the BF. Everything points out that every console did pretty well, so that's good new for everyone.

EDIT: Well, I think so if the console is actually popular. I mean, a 4 years old WiiU wouldn't stand a chance xD.

Errr sorry about that... PS4 and X1 released and had no deal on 2013 BF and still sold plethora and had WiiU nowhere to be seen (even costing much more), and in 2014 PS4 hadn't any significant deal and wasn't that much outsold by a X1 with aggressive deals.

Yeah, I'm not saying that consoles without deals don't sell well in BF. But I'm pretty sure that the same console will sell even better with a strong deal. That's a given. I mean, do you think that this BF's 199$ PS4 would sell the same than a hypothetically 300$ PS4? Not a chance, unless the stock is really limited. The example you mentioned about 2013 is not surprising since PS4 and X1 were always more popular consoles than the WiiU, that's for certain. The WiiU could cost 1$ and it'll probably sell less XD. And I'm pretty sure that if Sony made some more aggresive deals on 2014, they'd have won BF easily.

I think that the PS4 and the Switch are somewhat similar in terms of popularity in the US, so a more aggresive deal on the PS4 will give it the win. If it's the contrary... Well, that'd be an amazing win for the Switch. I really don't think that'll happen. Despite some sources predicting that the Switch can win. I have a hard time believing that. But, well, all the fanbases can be certain that all the consoles did well, so in the end we'll be all happy .