By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top Selling Black Friday Deals - GameStop

Lawlight said:
Kai_Mao said:

Not sure if I get your logic considering a price cut to $199 is a more tempting deal regardless of console. Sure the Switch is the hottest thing this year but $199 is a helluva deal for a console with a 4 year old library and more Black Friday deals. I’m sure both will do really well even despite no discount for the Switch.

Imagine the PS4 releasing at $299. Do you think a 4 year old system at $199 would have outsold it? I don’t think so.

I actually think so. Black Friday moves people because of the deals, so no deals is a huge disadvantage. I'll honestly be pleasantly surprised if the Switch wins the BF. Everything points out that every console did pretty well, so that's good new for everyone.

EDIT: Well, I think so if the console is actually popular. I mean, a 4 years old WiiU wouldn't stand a chance xD.

Around the Network
WebMasterFlex said:
Lawlight said:

Imagine the PS4 releasing at $299. Do you think a 4 year old system at $199 would have outsold it? I don’t think so.

Man if you read some people here, PlayStation only sell great thanks to Fifa and price.

It’s nice that you assume that’s what I, and others, was talking about. I didn’t say PlayStation only sold due to price so let’s not twist anything here. I’m saying that it’s potentially more attractive than a non-discounted, hot new item like the Switch due to the price and the 4-year old established library. Now where did I say that’s the only way it would sell? And even then I said both will really do well. PS4 has done well this year despite the Switch being the great story of 2017.

Kai_Mao said:
WebMasterFlex said:

Man if you read some people here, PlayStation only sell great thanks to Fifa and price.

It’s nice that you assume that’s what I, and others, was talking about. I didn’t say PlayStation only sold due to price so let’s not twist anything here. I’m saying that it’s potentially more attractive than a non-discounted, hot new item like the Switch due to the price and the 4-year old established library. Now where did I say that’s the only way it would sell? And even then I said both will really do well. PS4 has done well this year despite the Switch being the great story of 2017.

If PS4 is in it's 4th year and outselling the new Switch this year, wouldn't that make the PS4 the great story of 2017?

Asking for a friend who is desperately trying to hide their bias with backhanded "compliments."

See Flex' image above...

jlauro said:
Lawlight said:

You mean $100? I think it would terrible if the new system didn’t win.

This is GameStop thread, and you are forgetting that gamestop also gave a $50 gift card with the purchase of the $100 off PS4...  so that is basically a $150 price cut.

That's not how this works, you can't say the console has a $150 price cut unless you can walk in and buy the console for $150 under retail.

If you could use that $50 gift card against the console while you buy it then sure, but you can't, and it gets spent in games/accessories instead, you'll still have only gotten $100 off on the actual console. 

Insidb said:
Kai_Mao said:

If PS4 is in it's 4th year and outselling the new Switch this year, wouldn't that make the PS4 the great story of 2017?

Asking for a friend who is desperately trying to hide their bias with backhanded "compliments."

See Flex' image above...

Even if the PS4 is outselling the Switch with a two month head start, the Switch is still the big story of 2017. Not only because of it being its launch year, but it’s ability to overcome expectations and thrive in a console race where it’s all about power, AAA, 4K, and the like. Plus there were as many doubters, probably more back then, than optimists prior to the launch and even throughout the year. Now, it’s really debatable that the Switch’s first year lineup is among the best of all-time when it comes to launch years (or at least the first 12 months or so of a console’s life). You got a lineup of Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, ARMS, Pokken DX, Fire Emblem Warriors, and soon Xenoblade Chronicles 2, along with a great lineup of indies and surprising third party support of multiplats, ports, and even new games like Mario + Rabbids. Plus it has raised Nintendo’s value to its highest in years and now the expectations are raised with hopes for great years to come for the console that has even gained some attention in the mainstream media and outside of gaming.

im not sure who you’re addressing the second sentence to so I’m not gonna comment on that. Forgive me it’s the internet and I’m not sure if that’s what you meant by.

Around the Network
Kai_Mao said:
Insidb said:

See Flex' image above...

Even if the PS4 is outselling the Switch with a two month head start, the Switch is still the big story of 2017. Not only because of it being its launch year, but it’s ability to overcome expectations and thrive in a console race where it’s all about power, AAA, 4K, and the like. Plus there were as many doubters, probably more back then, than optimists prior to the launch and even throughout the year. Now, it’s really debatable that the Switch’s first year lineup is among the best of all-time when it comes to launch years (or at least the first 12 months or so of a console’s life). You got a lineup of Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, ARMS, Pokken DX, Fire Emblem Warriors, and soon Xenoblade Chronicles 2, along with a great lineup of indies and surprising third party support of multiplats, ports, and even new games like Mario + Rabbids. Plus it has raised Nintendo’s value to its highest in years and now the expectations are raised with hopes for great years to come for the console that has even gained some attention in the mainstream media and outside of gaming.

im not sure who you’re addressing the second sentence to so I’m not gonna comment on that. Forgive me it’s the internet and I’m not sure if that’s what you meant by.

This sounds like an ad campaign, written by Donald Trump: "all the haters said that we would fail, but showed them with the best lineup of all-time!"

You even threw in the "two month head start," explicitly undermining the fact that the PS4 is still the 2017 sales leader.

Ask a Sony/MS fan about that lineup, and they don't care. Your choir is the Nintendo fanbase. Nintendo fans feel the same way about "stupid," shiny CoDs.

I just wish I could come on here and not have to read console warz fans spouting subjective opinions as facts, in an attempt to undermine competitors.

The fact of the matter is that this has been a great year for videogaming with no console being the "story of 2017." The industry's growth is the real story.

Insidb said:
Kai_Mao said:

This sounds like an ad campaign, written by Donald Trump: "all the haters said that we would fail, but showed them with the best lineup of all-time!"

You even threw in the "two month head start," explicitly undermining the fact that the PS4 is still the 2017 sales leader.

Ask a Sony/MS fan about that lineup, and they don't care. Your choir is the Nintendo fanbase. Nintendo fans feel the same way about "stupid," shiny CoDs.

I just wish I could come on here and not have to read console warz fans spouting subjective opinions as facts, in an attempt to undermine competitors.

The fact of the matter is that this has been a great year for videogaming with no console being the "story of 2017." The industry's growth is the real story.

It’s not my intention to undermine the PS4. I have a PS4 along with a Switch so I have no incentive to talk crap about it. I even said in a previous comment in another thread that I’m glad that all of the big three are doing well. Just saying the PS4 had the head start this year compared to the Switch. Whether you interpret it as undermining or not, the fact is it had a two month start. We were all singing praises of the console when it outshined the Wii U completely despite its one year head start. I personally don’t care if the PS4 ends up selling better than the Switch all year next year or the next. As long as they all are doing well then I’m a happy camper, even as mainly a Nintendo fan.

I haven’t said anything in my opinion and argued them as fact. I said the first year lineup is really debatable, there’s nothing really fact about it unless you want to compare meta scores or sales or whatever. If you don’t think it’s debatable then that’s fine. All I was saying in the comment earlier that the PS4 at $199 with the library it has is a great deal and should do well. Where is it that I undermined the PS4 that time?

Kai_Mao said:
Insidb said:

It’s not my intention to undermine the PS4. I have a PS4 along with a Switch so I have no incentive to talk crap about it. I even said in a previous comment in another thread that I’m glad that all of the big three are doing well. Just saying the PS4 had the head start this year compared to the Switch. Whether you interpret it as undermining or not, the fact is it had a two month start. We were all singing praises of the console when it outshined the Wii U completely despite its one year head start. I personally don’t care if the PS4 ends up selling better than the Switch all year next year or the next. As long as they all are doing well then I’m a happy camper, even as mainly a Nintendo fan.

I haven’t said anything in my opinion and argued them as fact. I said the first year lineup is really debatable, there’s nothing really fact about it unless you want to compare meta scores or sales or whatever. If you don’t think it’s debatable then that’s fine. All I was saying in the comment earlier that the PS4 at $199 with the library it has is a great deal and should do well. Where is it that I undermined the PS4 that time?

Selection bias, whether conscious or unconscious, is evidenced by confirmation of the narrative through unsolicited data points.

Things like "two month lead, best of all-time lineup, overcoming expectations," and framing the console race being all about power can be parsed out with contradictory evidence. In this narrative and so many others, for instance, the 3DS has become the forgotten soldier: it's outsold the PS4, shown the robust strength of the portable market, and that Nintendo never left. As I've long said, nothing absolute exists to define expectations: Switch is bridging markets, the WiiU tapered off and was scuttled, the Wii curb-stomped a generation, the mobile market is swallowing up portable gaming, the new console-sellers are 3rd party, etc. There's just too much data to make any meaningful predictions. Even the lineup isn't console exclusive, as they are also WiiU games. I would call it great, but even that must be tempered by that fact. 

In summation, after being hounded with the "consoles are dead mantra," 2017 has shown that to be anything but true. Not only did BF light up the sales charts, but it did 2016 one better: 3 consoles, as opposed to 2. The sales have been so impressive that we're all still debating who led the charge, and that's the great story of 2017.

Insidb said:
Kai_Mao said:

See Flex' image above...

Savage

Surprised with the Pro, guess people enjoy specs after all

So ir wasn't confirmed after all?