In the final developers diary for Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice, developers Ninja Theory went into detail on what made Hellblade such a successful game, and how their “independent AAA approach” experiment succeeded and might be turning into a model for future companies to use.
See vid here
The entire developer diary (which runs for about 11 minutes) is definitely worth a watch, but you can check out some key numbers for the games launch below, courtesy of Ninja Theory:
- Over 75k pre-orders across PC and PS4 before launch.
- 250K units sold in the first week at $29.99.
- Over $13m in revenue generated in 3 months.
- 500k units sold in 3 months, which puts the project beyond breakeven and into profit. Our prediction was to be at this point in 6 months from release.
- Development took 3 years and with an average team size of 20.
- Game sold as digital-only.
- About half the sales were on PC.