By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CD Projekt Red "we leave greed to others"

Birimbau said:
Will this game ever have online multiplyer?

yes it will have an online component

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Hmm. Well, when you think about the art vs. money debate in video games, you really have to separate all the branches that help make it possible. As a publisher, it's almost entirely based on profits. They want to maximize their dollar as much as possible. As developers? That is totally different.

Let's think about Super Mario Bros and use it as an example. Do you think Miyamoto was only motivated by profit? Do you think he was motivated by profits at all? If you listen to his interviews then and now, it's clear that all this guy ever cared about was art and how best to convey it in video game form. His boss, on the other hand, Mr. Yamauchi, funded the project with the confidence that it would make a return on his investment. It was all about business and profit for the people who financed the games Miyamoto and his team made. 

So, really, it's not black and white. Even games like COD and Madden have a lot of people working on them that bleed for their work and do it because they just love doing it. There's a lot of cogs in this video game industry and they don't all have the same motives.

Certainly profit is not the only reason that games are made.  But, you seem to have agreed with my point.  Profit is always involved.  

Cavestory?

They're greedy in a different way, like underpaying their staff and forcing them to do ridiculous crunch hours. And the combat system in their games still sucks donkey balls. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

AlfredoTurkey said:
VAMatt said:

Certainly profit is not the only reason that games are made.  But, you seem to have agreed with my point.  Profit is always involved.  

Cavestory?

Okay, I'll revert to a previous point.  Profit is always involved in the making of culturally significant games.  (where culturally significant means that nearly all gamers, and at least a handful of non-gamers have come into contact with it in some way)  

Alkibiádēs said:

They're greedy in a different way, like underpaying their staff and forcing them to do ridiculous crunch hours. And the combat system in their games still sucks donkey balls. 

Combat was good in the first game, but in sequels they switched to chaotic mashing and lost me.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network

I was holding out for The Witcher 3 until a few days ago, and I gotta say that so far, it is one of the best games I've played. No online required bull, no microtransactions, no tacked-on multiplayer mode... I feel so far they can deliver on their promise... for now.