By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Organising A New GameDB Admin Team

Mark me as "interested."

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network

I'm interested to join. I'm kind of a freak with these things so this would probably be the most fitting thing for me to contribute on this site. Besides, then there would finally be someone that needlessly added Odyssey2 games .

Though I couldn't promise to dedicate x hours or whatever, and neither do I know what Discord is, let alone have it. I'd also won't have any sources about anything whatsoever, besides Wikipedia... I don't paint a good picture of myself do I?

mZuzek said:
Machina said:

Contributing to the database involves, for example, adding box art images, creating banners for game pages, creating summaries for games, updating release dates, adding critic reviews, adding cheats, updating the publisher and developers for titles, and so on. Lots of different things and you can pick one to focus on or all of them; up to you.

The Admin side of being on the GameDB Admin team involves checking submissions from regulars users and approving or rejecting them, offering people advice on how to do things correctly if they're making mistakes, and banning those who are actively griefing the site.

And yes we only use it for text.

Hm. Well, I didn't know I could contribute normally, but then again I feel like if I won't if I don't feel the responsibility of a role. I'm unsure now.

Haha you're same as me. I would like to contribute but on my own terms and not feel contrived to do it all the time. Just have the access and update what I want whenever I want.

Machina said:
mZuzek said:

Hm. Well, I didn't know I could contribute normally, but then again I feel like if I won't if I don't feel the responsibility of a role. I'm unsure now.

GuyDuke said:

Haha you're same as me. I would like to contribute but on my own terms and not feel contrived to do it all the time. Just have the access and update what I want whenever I want.

Yes any user can add things to the database, though unless you're a GameDB Admin then most of your changes will go into a job queue for approval/rejection by Admins before they show up on the game pages.

You can always wait for the GameDB to go live and try your hands at making some contributions - if you take to it then we'll no doubt need more GameDB Admins further down the line (and the most active contributors tend to be invited to join the team anyway). If not, then at least you didn't go through the process of signing up only to not do anything.

Perfect, I'll wait 'til the GameDB is up. 

Just for the sake of clarification - I have a few quick questions

1) Is the GameDB somewhat linked to GameWise? I don't understand yet the role of Gamewise with this site. Is this like a Wiki?

2) How do I submit suggestions for changes in the database? Directly to GameDB admins?

3) Does the Database only include the main page of the game? (e.g. if I click on Wii Sports, it brings me to the Wii Sports game page with sales, the game overview which includes a banner and a short description). Do I submit changes only for this page?

4) What do you intend (all admins) to fix with the new GameDB? Format? Adjustments? New display?

Maybe they're not so quick questions after all lol

Machina said: 

1) Right now it is. This change will end the link, which has stifled the GameDB on VGC in a kind of straight-jacket, so everything will be available on the game pages here once more.

2) You'll be able to make them yourself if it's changing something about the stuff on the game page. If it's a suggestion for improving the site I expect there'll be a thread for that at some stage after the DB goes live.

3) Right now it does yes, but you're looking at the current, old pages. The new ones will have a lot more data and things to alter. And yes the changes you submit are for single game pages.

4) I mean there are a bunch of reasons all of the older users want the old GameDB brought back - from fixing the game collections on our profiles and being to add new releases again, to the fact the old pages included so much more information and more features, to being able to link articles and reviews published on the site to the relevant game(s), and so on. There was just so much more functionality and it'll finally fix a lot of the issues caused by the database being split off into another site (it left behind a bunch of broken stuff on VGC).

Wow! Thank you Machina, you're kind. And congratulations to everyone who is working on the new GameDB.

I can update all banners with my mad Photoshop skills Joke aside, I do make banners for my own official thread, perhaps they'd be of use for the new DB? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=232348&page=1# I can make more for almost every game out there.

Around the Network

Good luck to whom ever applies

Machina said:
GuyDuke said:

Wow! Thank you Machina, you're kind. And congratulations to everyone who is working on the new GameDB.

I can update all banners with my mad Photoshop skills Joke aside, I do make banners for my own official thread, perhaps they'd be of use for the new DB? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=232348&page=1# I can make more for almost every game out there.

Oooh they're very good. Yes that sort of thing would be awesome.

Great. I'll help you in that regard and also, summaries, updating info and boxarts.

TalonMan said:

This is NOWHERE near complete - there will be a lot of changes to the .css and coloring scheme before anything goes live, but I just want to give an example of the level of detail that's missing and what everybody in the community will hopefully be able to contribute:

Here's how Wii Sports looks - the level of detail is SPOT-ON!! Boxart (you can't tell from the screenshot, but there is the allowance for front, back and multiple regions of boxarts), banner, game information (game ratings, alternate names like Japanese writing, critic review scores, developer, publisher, genre, screenshots, on and on and on!!!!). This is how MOST PS3, Wii, and X360 (and even some older and vintage consoles) games look in the system:

And here we have GTA:V on the XOne - it has almost NONE of that detail! No boxart, no banners, and barely even any game information, and that's because the majority of that information simply isn't here. It may exist over at Gamewise, but it definitely doesn't live here on this website:

You'll note there are tools available in that column, and so long as you're logged in, any regular user of the site will be able to add these things to our game pages and begin fleshing things out. BUT, none of those submissions will actually post to the game page until they have been approved by a DBAdmin - and that is the key role of the DBAdmin (they are a check on the community to make sure people aren't submitting garbage).

Most DBAdmins are actively submitting this information themselves, which is how the role originally came to be in the first place! Guys like Oliist were sending across so many updates, it made more sense to just give them the DBAdmin role and have them simply accept all of their updates in one go - rather than have somebody else parse through everything he was submitting (since he was a trusted user sending LOADS of information!!).

If you feel like you'll be contributing a great deal of (good!!!) information for the game database and want to ensure the stuff that's getting added to our database, doesn't get overwritten by garbage submissions from other users - the DBAdmin role is what you want! If you feel you're most likely only going to submit a few things here and there, then this role is likely not necessary for you - you can still submit is much (or as little) information as you want, but you'll just have to wait until a DBAdmin has had a chance to review and accept or deny your submission...

WOW! Can't wait !

And thanks for the specifics here. Helps me understand better the role we can play in the new DB.

I'm interested.

I'm interested too .