By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Should I buy Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon?"

Are you buying ultra sun/moon?

Yes 7 53.85%

No 6 46.15%

Total:13
mZuzek said:
pleaserecycle said:

I agree with you, but unfortunately we're the minority.  

I'm not sure you and I are in the same minority here.

Most people stopped caring about Pokémon after the 1st or 2nd generations, and I've also seen some that never moved beyond the 5th. I think Pokémon hit its absolute top form in the early 2010's, followed by an instant self-destruction after X & Y, when Junichi Masuda stopped directing the games and passed that on to Shigeru Ohmori. (Curiously, the most prominent exodus of Pokémon fans, which was after the 2nd generation, also had a director change, with Masuda taking over from Satoshi Tajiri.)

People who jumped off after 1st or 2nd gen, aren't real Pokemon fans. And you're narrative doesn't make sense when X/Y sold better black/white, and sun/moon is on track to outsell x/y. All this while Black/White was on a 150M selling console, while these games are only on a 70M userbase.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:
IkePoR said: 

Yo-Kai came along and got Gamefreak shook.   

Shook how? Yo-Kai has had no effect whatsoever on Pokemon. The series is pretty niche outside of Japan, whereas Pokemon is a worldwide hit.

The changes to formula in Sun/Moon weren't because GF gave a shit.  It was because Yo-Kai Watch blew up in Japan. Pokemon is a worldwide hit but GF and Nintendo still care most about the Japanese market.  They will be the most loyal the longest should Pokemon implode and die off elsewhere, or perhaps some other competition takes the world by storm with a monster friend RPG.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

IkePoR said:
mZuzek said:

Short answer: No.

Pokémon has become a pathetic excuse of a former shadow of its former self, and as long as people keep buying and even praising these games, they'll only get worse and worse. Don't expect anything grandiose on the Switch, because we're far more likely to just get more unambitious games with loads of ULTRAS and MEGAS and all-new HYPERS everywhere. That's how you sell a game to 7-year-olds, I guess... it's clearly working.

That'll work until a big dog comes along and challenges it. 

Yo-Kai came along and got Gamefreak shook.  It's why they genuinely tried with Sun/Moon.  If Yo-Kai can duplicate it's success on the Switch, GF will respond, guaranteed.  

The dude has a anti-Pokemon fetish. I wouldn't feed into it lest you give him more masturbation material 

StarOcean said:
IkePoR said:

That'll work until a big dog comes along and challenges it. 

Yo-Kai came along and got Gamefreak shook.  It's why they genuinely tried with Sun/Moon.  If Yo-Kai can duplicate it's success on the Switch, GF will respond, guaranteed.  

The dude has a anti-Pokemon fetish. I wouldn't feed into it lest you give him more masturbation material 

Judging from his last post in this thread... noted.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

mZuzek said:
flashfire926 said:

People who jumped off after 1st or 2nd gen, aren't real Pokemon fans. And you're narrative doesn't make sense when X/Y sold better black/white, and sun/moon is on track to outsell x/y. All this while Black/White was on a 150M selling console, while these games are only on a 70M userbase.

Except, this really doesn't apply to sales. Whoever gave up on Pokémon after gen 5 didn't just not buy X/Y, no, they bought X/Y and were disappointed (like you). Either way, fans leaving the franchise behind doesn't mean sales will reduce because Pokémon is continually bringing in new people. For example, I didn't buy Sun/Moon and I definitely don't want to buy US/UM, and I know plenty of people who have done the same, yet they're selling insanely well.

Edit: also, lol at Sun/Moon being a return to form after X/Y. I know it's stupid to be aggressive over an opinion, and I'm sorry for it, but it's because of people like you this franchise has ended up where it is today. I hope you're proud.

In response to the last part: I'm actually happy where the franchise has ended up today. 

The one thing I don't get, is that Sun/Moon were easily the most daring games in the series (alolan forms, ultra beasts, z-moves, removal of gyms, sos battles, removal of hm's, and a general shake-up in the story formula. Don't know how it's getting more "unambitious"

that being said, sorry to see the newer games don't click with you. Hopefully gen 8 on switch brings you back in.

edit: have you even tried the games? Or are you just judjing them based on assumptions?

Last edited by flashfire926 - on 17 November 2017

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network
IkePoR said:
StarOcean said:

Judging from his last post in this thread... noted.

He does this in every Pokemon thread. Causes him some weird mental meltdown. So next time, ignore him and disregard his "opinions" 

mZuzek said:
flashfire926 said:

Except, this really doesn't apply to sales. Whoever gave up on Pokémon after gen 5 didn't just not buy X/Y, no, they bought X/Y and were disappointed (like you). Either way, fans leaving the franchise behind doesn't mean sales will reduce because Pokémon is continually bringing in new people. For example, I didn't buy Sun/Moon and I definitely don't want to buy US/UM, and I know plenty of people who have done the same, yet they're selling insanely well.

Edit: also, lol at Sun/Moon being a return to form after X/Y. I know it's stupid to be aggressive over an opinion, and I'm sorry for it, but it's because of people like you this franchise has ended up where it is today. I hope you're proud.

Do you have a link to the post(s) where you explained exactly what you liked about X/Y and didn't like about ORAS or Sun/Moon? I think I need a refresher.

IkePoR said: 

The changes to formula in Sun/Moon weren't because GF gave a shit.  It was because Yo-Kai Watch blew up in Japan. Pokemon is a worldwide hit but GF and Nintendo still care most about the Japanese market.  They will be the most loyal the longest should Pokemon implode and die off elsewhere, or perhaps some other competition takes the world by storm with a monster friend RPG.

Is there proof the changes were because of Yo-kai? Seems like a stretch that they would make such changes just because a game with a similar concept sold really well.

StarOcean said: 

Damn son! Hard to believe you were a mod at one point! xD

mZuzek said:
flashfire926 said:

In response to the last part: I'm actually happy where the franchise has ended up today. 

The one thing I don't get, is that Sun/Moon were easily the most daring games in the series (alolan forms, ultra beasts, z-moves, removal of gyms, sos battles, removal of hm's, and a general shake-up in the story formula. Don't know how it's getting more "unambitious"

that being said, sorry to see the newer games don't click with you. Hopefully gen 8 on switch brings you back in.

Yeah, I know you're happy with it, that's why I said I hope you're proud.

I don't think I said Sun/Moon were unambitious, though? If I did, well, fuck me. I even admitted to X & Y being rather unambitious despite my love of it. The problem here isn't ambition, but rather where that ambition is directed towards, and I think Sun & Moon took it in absolutely all the wrong directions. Even the stuff they did right (like removing HMs), were still done in a crappy way that leads much to be desired (replacing HMs with silly "ride" Pokémon instead of your own).

I want to believe whatever comes out on the Switch will bring me back in, but it's pretty hard, because well, this is Pokémon. It's not the kind of franchise where they'll just start each game with a blank slate. Pokémon is always continually adding more and more content and not "deleting" anything from its past, so even if the games turn out to be good and don't introduce any more new crappy stuff, I know Alola Forms, Z-moves, Ultra Beasts and Ash-Greninja will still be there. By then, pretty much any "purity" the game might have had is already lost.

StarOcean said:

He does this in every Pokemon thread. Causes him some weird mental meltdown. So next time, ignore him and disregard his "opinions" 

Hey there. Did you know we're both members of the same forum, and are currently participating on the same thread? That being the case, it's actually possible for us to interact with one another directly instead of referring to each other distantly like this. I know it sounds crazy, but it's true.

That said, it's true I might be taking the Pokémon hate too far recently, but if that's the case I'm doing it because I genuinely care (or used to, at least) about this franchise, and am fucking disgusted at where it's gone, and moreso, at how no one seems to care about the absurdly drastic change in direction it's had. In recent days, I've been constantly thinking about my dream Pokémon game, and have thought of several really cool ideas and things that could be done with it, so whenever I go back to real life and see people talking about Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon (god that's such a stupid name...), and remember not only it but also how disappointing I already expect the next games to be, well, that makes me pretty sad.

It's maybe particularly sad because of how things have been lately with Nintendo. Being a Nintendo fan this year has been quite amazing, with loads of franchises getting stellar games left right and center, so when you remember what used to be one of your favorites and see it in this awful state amidst such awesomeness, it's quite the depressing sight.

S/M were already the best games since Gen 3. And that dream Pokemon game will never happen so give it and the series up. The series itself changes extremely slow so if youre impatient find a different series. SMT is a better monster catching series anyway. That being said, just stop playing Pokemon. You dont like the games anymore. It happens. I dont like Kirby games anymore, so I stopped playing them. The series wasnt doing it for me anymore and Pokemon definitely aint doing it for you anymore. If it gets to the point where you are debating your dislike of it like its a political thread you have to stop and wonder if the series is worth the anger. 

Key takeaway: You'll never get that dream game. Sucks but its true. Any sweeping changes to the forumla wont happen. Pokemon doesnt change, but you as a person do. Like I said, Pokemon isnt even the best in its genre. Try Yokai Watch, SMT, Devil Survivor, or Persona.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
IkePoR said: 

Is there proof the changes were because of Yo-kai? Seems like a stretch that they would make such changes just because a game with a similar concept sold really well.

StarOcean said: 

Damn son! Hard to believe you were a mod at one point! xD

I said worse as a mod