By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Should I buy Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon?"

Are you buying ultra sun/moon?

Yes 7 53.85%

No 6 46.15%

Total:13

This is a question asked by a lot of people, and I think I deserve to answer it. I played the game (won't state how for obvious reasons), and comfortably beat the game in the span of several days. That being said, here are my thoughts.

The game itself feels like a B2W2-ish sequel. Unless you are anticipating a dramatic rehaul, it's difficult to feel disappointed in any way. It fixes some of the annoying issues from SM such as handholding and lengthy tutorials, which are definitely welcomed by me.

Playing Ultra Sun wasn't revolutionary, but my playthrough felt pleasant enough to never make it a borefest. I had around 29 hours when I finally beat the main game, so I chose to play at a comfortable pace. 

As I already said, the entry simply improved the generation. The improvements aren't bad by any means, but to me they weren't enough to potentially justify me paying $40 for it. As solid as the entries are, their value heavily lies on how much more you wanted to explore Alola. 

I gave Sun an 8.1/10, while I placed Ultra Sun at around 8.6. I believe they're both phenomenal games, but they may have worked better merged together. The story aspect from both entries were solid, but in terms of actual gameplay I think it's clear that Nintendo has hit the sky when it comes to using weak hardware with Pokemon.

There's a lot of untapped potential still lurking in Pokemon, and the 3ds' miserable specs don't help with that. Finishing Ultra Sun had me thinking about what Nintendo may do next. Perhaps the Switch will be the stepping stone needed to jump over the limit set on this franchise.

Conclusion:

Unless you never played Sun/Moon or want to see more of this generation, Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon are fine games that can be skipped over without much consequence

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
I can guess how you played it :P

Anyways, question though, is day/night reversed in Ultra Sun like in Pokemon Moon or is it day during the day time and night during the night time like in Pokemon Sun?

If you already played it, I wouldnt buy it again to play it again.

I already beat Pokemon Sun earlier this year but I dont mind getting Ultra Sun.

Planning to get it tomorrow.

I don't recall day/night being reversed for SM so I don't know the answer to that unfortunately.

It's the first Nintendo game I've played that I don't plan on purchasing. I may get a copy for a family member who's getting into Pokemon. They'll probably enjoy it

You dirty pirate, your opinion is invalid!

Lonely_Dolphin said:
You dirty pirate, your opinion is invalid!

Can't wait to be called an immoral scumbag and have the thread derail to another conversation about piracy ;)

Just delete an older Pokémon games save file and replay it. You’ll hardly notice the difference. :D

Lube Me Up

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

Short answer: No.

Pokémon has become a pathetic excuse of a former shadow of its former self, and as long as people keep buying and even praising these games, they'll only get worse and worse. Don't expect anything grandiose on the Switch, because we're far more likely to just get more unambitious games with loads of ULTRAS and MEGAS and all-new HYPERS everywhere. That's how you sell a game to 7-year-olds, I guess... it's clearly working.

That'll work until a big dog comes along and challenges it. 

Yo-Kai came along and got Gamefreak shook.  It's why they genuinely tried with Sun/Moon.  If Yo-Kai can duplicate it's success on the Switch, GF will respond, guaranteed.  

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

IkePoR said:
mZuzek said:

Pokémon has become a pathetic excuse of a former shadow of its former self, and as long as people keep buying and even praising these games, they'll only get worse and worse. Don't expect anything grandiose on the Switch, because we're far more likely to just get more unambitious games with loads of ULTRAS and MEGAS and all-new HYPERS everywhere. That's how you sell a game to 7-year-olds, I guess... it's clearly working.

That'll work until a big dog comes along and challenges it. 

Yo-Kai came along and got Gamefreak shook.  It's why they genuinely tried with Sun/Moon.  If Yo-Kai can duplicate it's success on the Switch, GF will respond, guaranteed.  

Well Yo-Kai Watch is over-saturating itself faster than Pokemon, but I agree that Pokemon is getting real competition. If Yo-Kai Watch starts selling better worlwide then GameFreak will really step up. Also hopefully MH Stories gets traction : D 

mZuzek said:

I agree with you, but unfortunately we're the minority.  

IkePoR said: 

Yo-Kai came along and got Gamefreak shook.   

Shook how? Yo-Kai has had no effect whatsoever on Pokemon. The series is pretty niche outside of Japan, whereas Pokemon is a worldwide hit.

Well, this might end up being the best Pokemon game for me, ever. If these games can solve some of the problems with sun/moon, it could very well end up being better than platinum.

I'm thankful the series has returned to form, after seeing how half-assed and lackluster x/y were.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.