By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What does MS need to do?

X-mote.

Around the Network

Highly doubt you will see a new console in 2010. You guys really need to stop getting high :P

The move from last gen to this gen worked well because some aspects the PS2 and the Xbox games felt limited by the technology.

To name a few :
- Graphics ( move to HD).
- Number of opponents in racing car ( who didn't get bored with racing against only one opponent in GT4 for rallyes and only 5 for regular races).
- AI and limited number of opponents in action games ( never fight more than 3-4 opponents at a time in Ninja Gaiden).
I could go on...

Most of those have been solved this gen and a lot of games are at a point where adding more doesn't make so much sense anymore.
Personally I feel any HD console coming out in 2010 woudn't be able to successfully differentiate themselves from the this gen consoles and I woudn't want to be Microsoft launching an Xbox720 to compete with a still going strong PS3 with a huge catalog by that time....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ail said:
Highly doubt you will see a new console in 2010. You guys really need to stop getting high :P

The move from last gen to this gen worked well because some aspects the PS2 and the Xbox games felt limited by the technology.

To name a few :
- Number of opponents in racing car ( who didn't get bored with racing against only one opponent in GT4 for rallyes and only 5 for regular races).
- AI and limited number of opponents in action games ( never fight more than 3-4 opponents at a time in Ninja Gaiden).
I could go on...

Most of those have been solved this gen and a lot of games are at a point where adding more doesn't make so much sense anymore.
Personally I feel any HD console coming out in 2010 woudn't be able to successfully differentiate themselves from the this gen consoles and I woudn't want to be Microsoft launching an Xbox720 to compete with a still going strong PS3 with a huge catalog by that time....

Unless backward compatibility is 100%. But yea I agree that 2010 is way too early, the most that will happen is an Xbox 360 Lite SKU.

Ail said:

To name a few :
I could go on...

2010 is a 5 year cycle... Pretty much the standard in consoles. MS might push for 2011, though. No later than that.

As for differentiating itself graphically, that won't be a problem. PCs are already leaps and bounds past anything the 360 or PS3 are capable of doing; by 2010 or 2011, the gap will be enormous.

1GB video cards, 8 core processors, 4GB RAM standard... Blah blah blah. The difference will be HUGE. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
__XBrawlX__ said:
There's not much they can do, 2007 was the high point of 360 games... 2008 is looking okay, but not as stellar as last year..

Which is why 2008's sales are way higher than 2007.

I think he was strictly referring to games but yes it is selling better this year than the last. Although I would have to say it's mainly due to the European price cut. Think about it, since when has that been their strongest territory. It's been America up to this point.

Around the Network

That and to release a new console in 2010 you would need to have gaming studios starting developement on games for that console sometime this year and right now I don't see them queuing at the door to do so...
They are barely going to start to reap the benefits of this gen this year, investing in the next gen is far from their main concern.

The best third party support a next gen console would get would be the port of titles that would on the PS3 and Xbox360 too.....

The huge increase in the development cost of games for this gen alone is going to make it last longer as it will take companies longer to recoup their investment.....

LongLiveTheBeatles said:
rocketpig said:
__XBrawlX__ said:
There's not much they can do, 2007 was the high point of 360 games... 2008 is looking okay, but not as stellar as last year..

Which is why 2008's sales are way higher than 2007.

I think he was strictly referring to games but yes it is selling better this year than the last. Although I would have to say it's mainly due to the European price cut. Think about it, since when has that been their strongest territory. It's been America up to this point.

The 360 was eclipsing its 2007 numbers easily before the price cut.

rocketpig said:
Ail said:

To name a few :
I could go on...

2010 is a 5 year cycle... Pretty much the standard in consoles. MS might push for 2011, though. No later than that.

As for differentiating itself graphically, that won't be a problem. PCs are already leaps and bounds past anything the 360 or PS3 are capable of doing; by 2010 or 2011, the gap will be enormous.

1GB video cards, 8 core processors, 4GB RAM standard... Blah blah blah. The difference will be HUGE. 

Name one PC game aside Crysis that is leaps and bounds ahead of any console game ?????( you can even name a game that isn't released yet...)

Well right now, it's Crysis. Console gamers are also getting bastardized versions of games like BioShock and Call of Duty 4.

This year, we should see a few PC games that look and play much better on PC than anything on a console. In two more years, the gap will be huge. Shit, most console games can't even run at 1080p. That will be a serious limitation moving forward.

rocketpig said:
Well right now, it's Crysis. Console gamers are also getting bastardized versions of games like BioShock and Call of Duty 4.

This year, we should see a few PC games that look and play much better on PC than anything on a console. In two more years, the gap will be huge. Shit, most console games can't even run at 1080p. That will be a serious limitation moving forward.

Hmm has there really been serious complains of console owners complaining about how CoD4 or Bioshock play on their consoles compared to how they play on the PC ????? Because I haven't heard them...

Honestly I used to upgrade my PC every 2 years and the last one lasted 4 years and I still could play the majority of the games out there. Even in the PC world it is getting harder and harder for games to harness the full power of the PC and the rythm at which you have to replace your PC as a gamer has decreased....