By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Has Embraced DLC, But Must Resist The Worst Industry Norms

Faelco said:
bananaking21 said:

i did not. im not talking about the quality of the DLC, but the method of how its sold and what not. starwars battlefron 2 is just atrocious in its DLC and progression method. 

Fire Emblem Awakening combine both. The DLCs are additional maps sold individually, pretty expensive, with a really low quality (empty maps without any originality or scenario), and give you huge bonus for the rest of the game, like infinite XP or Gold, the most powerful abilities or objects, things like that. The definition of shameless money grabbing sh*tty DLC. 

Did that stop you from enjoying the game? Because in my perspective it was just extra stuff to make the game have more content and "easier". 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
Random_Matt said:
Amiibo is the worst possible DLC.

I kinda agree with this, Amiibo are a horrible concept from a consumer standpoint. Certainly up there with other poor industry norms and trends.

Curious. Can you explain why?

Jranation said:
Faelco said:

Fire Emblem Awakening combine both. The DLCs are additional maps sold individually, pretty expensive, with a really low quality (empty maps without any originality or scenario), and give you huge bonus for the rest of the game, like infinite XP or Gold, the most powerful abilities or objects, things like that. The definition of shameless money grabbing sh*tty DLC. 

Did that stop you from enjoying the game? Because in my perspective it was just extra stuff to make the game have more content and "easier". 

Just like all DLC and even lootboxes in that case. Lootboxes for singleplayer games are just extra stuff to make the game easier, right? Nothing wrong with that then ;) 

ihatefatkatz said:
Mummelmann said:

I kinda agree with this, Amiibo are a horrible concept from a consumer standpoint. Certainly up there with other poor industry norms and trends.

They can be limited, and are rather expensive.

Bigger problem is if they offer too much, they're taking out content from the game. If they offer too little, they're worthless.

Another problem is that they don't offer the amiibo content as normal DLC. So if you want some stupid costume or amiibo-exclusive mode, but you don't want the amiibo... well, tough luck.

I've never felt personally offended by any amiibos, but it's easy to see why people don't like them.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Nintendo has done some questionable things in the past, for sure, but it's still away from the worst the gaming world is offering. Which are called lootboxes. Or gambling. Which are pretty much the same.

Around the Network
Slarvax said:
ihatefatkatz said:

They can be limited, and are rather expensive.

Bigger problem is if they offer too much, they're taking out content from the game. If they offer too little, they're worthless.

Another problem is that they don't offer the amiibo content as normal DLC. So if you want some stupid costume or amiibo-exclusive mode, but you don't want the amiibo... well, tough luck.

I've never felt personally offended by any amiibos, but it's easy to see why people don't like them.

I agree the amiibo model isn't perfect (it has it's fair share of drawbacks and there are a few shady implementations), but i'd argue Nintendo has justified the value proposition  of the figurines in most cases (being able to use them across multiple games to get small rewards and you get a nifty figurine).

It's not even close to being the "worst possible DLC"... well in my opinion.

ihatefatkatz said:
I don't understand the animosity towards amiibo's. Aside from a few exception (ahem samus returns), generally Amiibo provide good value. A vast majority work across multiple titles, unlock small rewards (mainly aesthetics) and you get a tangible product as well. Much better value and less anti-consumer than the other toys-2-life products.

In my view, Amiibo's are not nearly as bad as some pay 2 win transactions and the obtrusive loot boxes we see nowadays

If the person cares about the physical statue in the first place. I've only wanted one Amiibo, Urabosa. And I know that one will be only used for BOTW. Plus, they can easily restrict usage. Like what they did with Metroid Returns. ALL Metroid related Amiibo should unlock ALL current and ALL future Metroid mini DLC. The goal of the Amiibo should be you wanting the statue. The data should be fluff or acquirable in a DLC pack for 5$. How many Amiibo does it take to unlock all of Metroid's material. Something like 3 or 4. That's $50 DLC right there. With no grantee that future DLC will be compatible.

Faelco said:
bananaking21 said:

i did not. im not talking about the quality of the DLC, but the method of how its sold and what not. starwars battlefron 2 is just atrocious in its DLC and progression method. 

Not the same. Battlefront 2, the whole progression and entire game revolves around loot boxes. You are forced to open loot boxes. Sure you can get them with in-game money, but it takes forever.

Awakening and other FE games I have played the DLC is completely optional. Heck, the game is more fun if you don't use DLC. DLC basically turns on cheat/god mode. You can as you said get infinite gold, xp, ect very easily and thus make the challenging maps a cake walk.

Fire Emblems DLC I agree is a ripoff. It's overpriced and you get jack. There are a couple of annoying things locked behind it, such as some cool classes, but you can easily just spend like $3.00 to just unlock the only meaningful couple. Annoying paying a few dollars for some say Dread class, especially since the DLC missions are so so so bad. Just a boring map with some random zombie type enemy.

I don't get why people keep buying so much DLC and microtransactions stuff. 95% of these isn't worth the price.

It was inevitable for Nintendo, just like how they now embrace remasters.