By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Has Embraced DLC, But Must Resist The Worst Industry Norms

I don't understand the animosity towards amiibo's. Aside from a few exception (ahem samus returns), generally Amiibo provide good value. A vast majority work across multiple titles, unlock small rewards (mainly aesthetics) and you get a tangible product as well. Much better value and less anti-consumer than the other toys-2-life products.

In my view, Amiibo's are not nearly as bad as some pay 2 win transactions and the obtrusive loot boxes we see nowadays

Around the Network

I love the Mercedes content in Mario Kart 8.
Mario Maker had some nice stuff like that too.

If we keep getting stuff like that I will be happy.
Stuff that adds content to the games, without costing the users directly.

Amiibos are nowhere near as bad as Microtransactions. Stop it guys, stop it. Hahahaha.

But they are terrible too and have the potential to be the worst dlc imaginable.

ihatefatkatz said:
I don't understand the animosity towards amiibo's. Aside from a few exception (ahem samus returns), generally Amiibo provide good value. A vast majority work across multiple titles, unlock small rewards (mainly aesthetics) and you get a tangible product as well. Much better value and less anti-consumer than the other toys-2-life products.

In my view, Amiibo's are not nearly as bad as some pay 2 win transactions and the obtrusive loot boxes we see nowadays

Amiibo are super easy to abuse too, and they are neat figures for people who like that kind of stuff.

At least with Amiibo, you can avoid paying Nintendo if you really want.

Amiibo's are figurines first, content second.

Some people here are so obvious. I'm even surprised that someone like Bananaking has the guts to post in Nintendo discussion after his infamous thread.

Around the Network

I don't mind Amiibos, because I always wanted to have figurines of my beloved game characters and they did offered the option to buy them. What I don't like is that certain content which is essential to the games experience is locked behind it. So far, none is to my knowledge. All the stuff is optional and doesn't do much to the game.
DLC is still open to certain people and they can decide if they want to spend their money on it or not.

What practice I don't personally like and would rather rate the whole game as 0/10 is the particular teasing of paid content inside the game which completely breaks the immersion. It is when you drive to the street and find a car, but this particular car cannot be accessed by you because you have to buy it additionally with real money. So long, it stays in your game and looks at you. Takes up your HDD space and performance resources to render it in the game.
Codemasters did that also in Dirt 3 where you finished your campaign, got everything gold and after an update it went all away, because there were new campaign tracks to finish which you havn't bought yet. No gold for you until you pay us.

This same practice did Nintendo already with Mario Kart 8 for WII U when they patch the DLC content which was not available into the game. So whenever you play, you get teased with the content you don't own. And I hate them for just that.

Don't tease with DLC and other bullshit. I don't want to be reminded by playing a game which I paid 60 € for to spend even more money on stupid stuff. A game design like this should not be tolerated in my opinion.

Just imagine playing Super Mario Bros on the NES and get a notification to buy power ups for 99cents every time you finished a level. Oh and, you have to press on "Cancel" to move on.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

I'm personally looking forward to Nintendo fully embracing lootboxes. Legend of Zelda will never be the same again!

forest-spirit said:
I'm personally looking forward to Nintendo fully embracing lootboxes. Legend of Zelda will never be the same again!

Amiibo summoned lootboxes from the sky in BotW.

At least you could lend your Amiibo to your friends to abuse the system.

caffeinade said:
forest-spirit said:

Amiibo summoned lootboxes from the sky in BotW.

At least you could lend your Amiibo to your friends to abuse the system.

Eh, you can use it only once a day per certain amiibo. And most of the stuff in the treasure box is just lying around anyways. It helps in the beginning of the game only a bit, but that's it. It can't be exploited, though.  

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Random_Matt said:
Amiibo is the worst possible DLC.

I kinda agree with this, Amiibo are a horrible concept from a consumer standpoint. Certainly up there with other poor industry norms and trends.