By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS Marketing Defends Use of Controversial Terms: «Sony Did It» (But they didn’t)

Thoughts?

I don’t see the problem 18 39.13%

I think this is «spin or damage control» 28 60.87%

Other 0 0%

Total:46

I'm not trying to troll or piss anyone off but why is this such a big deal?

People are spending their Sunday crying on the internet about how an executive for a software company said "Launch Titles" instead of "Titles Enhanced for the Launch"?

Who gives a shit?

Sony said "Enhanced at Launch" while Microsoft said "Launch Titles"...

95% of the people in this thread don't own an X1(X) and/or HATE Microsoft.

Confirmation bias maybe?

Something tells me this whole thread has much more to do with anger surrounding the successful launch of the X1X than it does with some guy at Microsoft saying "launch titles" rather than "Titles enhanced for the the launch".

Around the Network
Aura7541 said:
cmay227 said:

semantics

This is considered spamming, so I suggest that you refrain from doing that. Also, meanings can be significantly changed which is why it is important to be careful of what you say, especially when you're making a comment on a forum like what Penello was doing.

Look up the definition of the word. Gimmie a break. Jeez don't wanna offend sony supporters. God forbid someone uses common sense when reading.

User was moderated for flaming - Aura7541

Last edited by Aura7541 - on 12 November 2017

Aura7541 said:
KLAMarine said:

No, the assumption is not mandatory. "We" is vague and could have either referred to "Sony and Microsoft" or "Sony, Microsoft, and the industry" or "Microsoft and the industry".

Also note the distinction in Penello's wording:

"I watched the industry use the exact same term for the PS4 Pro launch. Sony themselves talked about 40 launch titles".

I agree that Penello was not careful enough with his words. There was ambiguity in his post but that's not license to then fill in the gaps like some here seem to have done.

Follow-up questions should have followed but hey, why let that get in the way of swinging at everyone's favorite target?

But you just contradicted your own refutation. Penello said that "Sony themselves talked about 40 launch titles". However in the blog, Sony did not use that term, but enhanced titles at the Pro's launch. Try as you may, when you CTRL + F "launch title" in the article, the search function does not register except for a comment below. It would be a different story altogether if Penello followed up with "look at these sites that referred to the titles as launch titles", but he didn't. He had all the time in the world to point that out, but failed to do so.

In addition, let's say that he did make that disctinction from the beginning. His argument is still flawed because it's a false equivalence. In the case of the XBX, it was Microsoft, the company that released the iteration, that referred to the titles as launch titles. However, that is not the same as 3rd party sites saying the Pro has 40 launch titles as those sites don't represent Sony. In addition, Sony never referred to those games as launch titles.

You're correct that Sony (by Sony I mean Fred Dutton) did not use the terms "launch titles" in the blog but nowhere in "Sony themselves talked about 40 launch titles" does Penello imply that Fred Dutton used the terms either.

cmay227 said:
Aura7541 said:

This is considered spamming, so I suggest that you refrain from doing that. Also, meanings can be significantly changed which is why it is important to be careful of what you say, especially when you're making a comment on a forum like what Penello was doing.

Look up the definition of the word. Gimmie a break. Jeez don't wanna offend sony supporters. God forbid someone uses common sense when reading.

Seriously.

You're being warned about saying "Semantics" because every moderator here is a die hard Sony fan.

Meanwhile, take a look at this thread from this morning: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=232834&page=7

That Errorist76 guy is writing post after post about how much he hates Xbox and spewing nothing but lies yet the moderators do nothing.

I remember reading a thread a few months ago about how the site could bring in extra traffic. Here's an idea: Treat your members fairly and don't punish people just because they don't prefer the same console as you do.

I wish the moderators would help make this a fun place to talk about video games rather than just a place to freely come and shit on Xbox.

It really is pathetic.

Here's VGChartz in a nut shell:

Someone makes a positive thread about Xbox.  Within minutes LivingMetal, TFWANG, GribbleGobbler, Errorist, Bandorr and countless others swarm in an immediately spread hate and downplay the news.  Once they've completely ruined the thread they either move on to the next or they find a Pro-Sony thread and praise the PlayStation.  

Meanwhile, the moderators give Xbox fan shit about saying semantics and warn them for spamming...

This is not controversial, and its insane the thread made it to this length.

The Xbox One X launched. Any title available on the day of launch was a 'launch title' for the Xbox One X.

Is it PR? Sure. But its not in any way stretching the envelope, especially for PR.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
Aura7541 said:
KLAMarine said:

No, the assumption is not mandatory. "We" is vague and could have either referred to "Sony and Microsoft" or "Sony, Microsoft, and the industry" or "Microsoft and the industry".

Also note the distinction in Penello's wording:

"I watched the industry use the exact same term for the PS4 Pro launch. Sony themselves talked about 40 launch titles".

I agree that Penello was not careful enough with his words. There was ambiguity in his post but that's not license to then fill in the gaps like some here seem to have done.

Follow-up questions should have followed but hey, why let that get in the way of swinging at everyone's favorite target?

But you just contradicted your own refutation. Penello said that "Sony themselves talked about 40 launch titles". However in the blog, Sony did not use that term, but enhanced titles at the Pro's launch. Try as you may, when you CTRL + F "launch title" in the article, the search function does not register except for a comment below. It would be a different story altogether if Penello followed up with "look at these sites that referred to the titles as launch titles", but he didn't. He had all the time in the world to point that out, but failed to do so.

In addition, let's say that he did make that disctinction from the beginning. His argument is still flawed because it's a false equivalence. In the case of the XBX, it was Microsoft, the company that released the iteration, that referred to the titles as launch titles. However, that is not the same as 3rd party sites saying the Pro has 40 launch titles as those sites don't represent Sony. In addition, Sony never referred to those games as launch titles.

It's know what you mean. It's sad really. I feel sorry for those people. Pathetic really. 

The more I see if stuff like this, the more desperate Xbox seems to be becoming.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

DialgaMarine said:
The more I see if stuff like this, the more desperate Xbox seems to be becoming.

The more I see posts like this, the more desperate it seems PlayStation fans are becoming.  

GribbleGrunger said:
Why is it so difficult for some people to face reality? They're two different statements. One is honest and the other is deliberately misleading. And then the PR goes even further and tries to imply Sony said the same thing. A dishonest company for a dishonest fanbase. Sorry, that's the reality.

How does this not warrant moderation?  

RandyS86 said:
GribbleGrunger said:
Why is it so difficult for some people to face reality? They're two different statements. One is honest and the other is deliberately misleading. And then the PR goes even further and tries to imply Sony said the same thing. A dishonest company for a dishonest fanbase. Sorry, that's the reality.

How does this not warrant moderation?  

Obviously because a Xbox fan didn't say it.