By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS Marketing Defends Use of Controversial Terms: «Sony Did It» (But they didn’t)

Thoughts?

I don’t see the problem 18 39.13%

I think this is «spin or damage control» 28 60.87%

Other 0 0%

Total:46

What are games that are specific to a consoles launch called?

Around the Network
Aura7541 said:
KLAMarine said:

What are my thoughts? I'm wondering why you don't post the entirety of what Panello is quoted as saying per dualshockers:

Panello is not lying when he says "the industry [used] the exact same term for the PS4 Pro launch"

https://www.mobipicker.com/ps4-pro-launch-titles-confirmed/

http://www.godisageek.com/2016/11/ps4-pro-launch-titles-list/

http://moviesgamesandtech.com/2016/11/04/playstation-4-pro-launch-titles-revealed/

Seeing a lot of users here with arms up. I have to wonder where the uproar was when media referred to PS4 Pro "launch titles".

Is that Sony saying "launch titles" or 3rd party sites saying "launch titles"?

Some 3rd party sites said "launch titles" as Microsoft's Penello pointed out. As far as I know, he never claimed Sony used the terms "launch titles", he claimed that "Sony themselves talked about 40 launch titles". I believe he was referring to "The following 40+ titles will be optimized for the new hardware on launch day" by Fred Dutton ( https://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/03/39-games-enhanced-for-ps4-pro-launch/ ).

Tmfwang said:
KLAMarine said:

Did anyone say to the contrary?

Yes, Albert Penello

«Sony themselves talked about 40 launch titles»

Nowhere do I see a claim that Sony referred to these titles as "launch titles". I see a claim that Sony talked about these 40 launch titles which they did, specifically Fred Dutton. See above.

Penello is the one referring to the 40 titles as launch titles. Seems his definition of launch title and others' definitions differ.

cmay227 said:
What are games that are specific to a consoles launch called?

Whatever makes Microsoft look bad.

KLAMarine said:
Aura7541 said:

Is that Sony saying "launch titles" or 3rd party sites saying "launch titles"?

Some 3rd party sites said "launch titles" as Microsoft's Penello pointed out. As far as I know, he never claimed Sony used the terms "launch titles", he claimed that "Sony themselves talked about 40 launch titles". I believe he was referring to "The following 40+ titles will be optimized for the new hardware on launch day" by Fred Dutton ( https://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/03/39-games-enhanced-for-ps4-pro-launc

But this is the entire quote:

"For this point, I disagree since I watched the industry use the exact same term for the PS4 Pro launch.

Sony themselves talked about 40 launch titles. So if I say 50 launch titles, why am I spinning?

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/03/39-games-enhanced-for-ps4-pro-launch/

I’m really trying to understand how anything we said was spin, damage control or PR. We used the same terms."

Why didn't Penello use the 3rd party site as examples? Instead, he followed up the "industry use the exact same term" statement by citing the PlayStation blog as if that adequately supported his argument. However, the blog never referred to the games as "launch games", but games that will be enhanced at launch. He concludes his comment with "we used the same terms". Because he never specifies who he is comparing to, one has to assume that he's comparing to Sony as that was his only example.

You're right that the "industry" can include 3rd party gaming sites. However, Penello never cited those as examples. In addition, he didn't make his comment during an on-the-spot interview. This was a forum post where he had all the time in the world to carefully piece together what he was about to say. Needless to say, Penello was unscrupulous.

Lol, Microsoft come on.

Around the Network
Aura7541 said:
KLAMarine said:

Some 3rd party sites said "launch titles" as Microsoft's Penello pointed out. As far as I know, he never claimed Sony used the terms "launch titles", he claimed that "Sony themselves talked about 40 launch titles". I believe he was referring to "The following 40+ titles will be optimized for the new hardware on launch day" by Fred Dutton ( https://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/03/39-games-enhanced-for-ps4-pro-launc

"For this point, I disagree since I watched the industry use the exact same term for the PS4 Pro launch.

Sony themselves talked about 40 launch titles. So if I say 50 launch titles, why am I spinning?

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/03/39-games-enhanced-for-ps4-pro-launch/

I’m really trying to understand how anything we said was spin, damage control or PR. We used the same terms."

Why didn't Penello use the 3rd party site as examples? Instead, he followed up the "industry use the exact same term" statement by citing the PlayStation blog as if that adequately supported his argument. However, the blog never referred to the games as "launch games", but games that will be enhanced at launch. He concludes his comment with "we used the same terms". Because he never specifies who he is comparing to, one has to assume that he's comparing to Sony as that was his only example.

No, the assumption is not mandatory. "We" is vague and could have either referred to "Sony and Microsoft" or "Sony, Microsoft, and the industry" or "Microsoft and the industry".

Also note the distinction in Penello's wording:

"I watched the industry use the exact same term for the PS4 Pro launch. Sony themselves talked about 40 launch titles".

Aura7541 said:

You're right that the "industry" can include 3rd party gaming sites. However, Penello never cited those as examples. In addition, he didn't make his comment during an on-the-spot interview. This was a forum post where he had all the time in the world to carefully piece together what he was about to say. Needless to say, Penello was unscrupulous.

I agree that Penello was not careful enough with his words. There was ambiguity in his post but that's not license to then fill in the gaps like some here seem to have done.

Follow-up questions should have followed but hey, why let that get in the way of swinging at everyone's favorite target?

semantics

KLAMarine said:
Aura7541 said:

No, the assumption is not mandatory. "We" is vague and could have either referred to "Sony and Microsoft" or "Sony, Microsoft, and the industry" or "Microsoft and the industry".

"I watched the industry use the exact same term for the PS4 Pro launch. Sony themselves talked about 40 launch titles".

Aura7541 said:

I agree that Penello was not careful enough with his words. There was ambiguity in his post but that's not license to then fill in the gaps like some here seem to have done.

Follow-up questions should have followed but hey, why let that get in the way of swinging at everyone's favorite target?

But you just contradicted your own refutation. Penello said that "Sony themselves talked about 40 launch titles". However in the blog, Sony did not use that term, but enhanced titles at the Pro's launch. Try as you may, when you CTRL + F "launch title" in the article, the search function does not register except for a comment below. It would be a different story altogether if Penello followed up with "look at these sites that referred to the titles as launch titles", but he didn't. He had all the time in the world to point that out, but failed to do so.

In addition, let's say that he did make that disctinction from the beginning. His argument is still flawed because it's a false equivalence. In the case of the XBX, it was Microsoft, the company that released the iteration, that referred to the titles as launch titles. However, that is not the same as 3rd party sites saying the Pro has 40 launch titles as those sites don't represent Sony. In addition, Sony never referred to those games as launch titles.

Aura7541 said:
KLAMarine said:

But you just contradicted your own refutation. Penello said that "Sony themselves talked about 40 launch titles". However in the blog, Sony did not use that term, but enhanced titles at the Pro's launch. It would be a different story altogether if Penello followed up with "look at this sites that referred to the titles as launch titles", but he didn't. He had all the time in the world to point that out, but failed to do so.

In addition, let's say that he did make that disctinction from the beginning. His argument is still flawed because it's a false equivalence. In the case of the XBX, it was Microsoft, the company that released the iteration, that referred to the titles as launch titles. However, that is not the same as 3rd party sites saying the Pro has 40 launch titles as those sites don't represent Sony. In addition, Sony never referred to those games as launch titles.

semantics

cmay227 said:

semantics

This is considered spamming, so I suggest that you refrain from doing that. Also, meanings can be significantly changed which is why it is important to be careful of what you say, especially when you're making a comment on a forum like what Penello was doing.