By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will Pokemon Switch be?

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

StarOcean said: 

GF is a bit smarter than you give them credit for

You have a point...

Around the Network
caffeinade said:
Zach808 said:
Does this series even need microtransactions to be profitable? The budget for each game is probably not that high at all, yet the series still does almost COD-like numbers. I’m thinking the sky’s the limit for what they could do on the Switch, considering all the power the thing has compared to everything else they’ve worked with.

The budget of a Pokemon game is almost non existent when compared to big titles.
Pokemon does not need microtransactions to be wildly profitable.

So you said we should expect microtransactions in your OP even while knowing this?

It's gonna be an MMO like WoW but with the Kanto region and an entirely new region. 16 gyms.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

StarOcean said: 

GF is a bit smarter than you give them credit for

I fail to see the issue?

A bestseller.

You're welcome.

Around the Network

I'd say it'll be more of an RPG, like Pokemon White and Black were.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
caffeinade said:

The budget of a Pokemon game is almost non existent when compared to big titles.
Pokemon does not need microtransactions to be wildly profitable.

So you said we should expect microtransactions in your OP even while knowing this?

Pokemon could make insane profits, even if they were to sell the games in such a way that they do not directly profit from the game sales.
Pokemon is such a strong brand that the plushies and stuff, would still make them more money than most IP will ever make their owners.

Yet Game Freak and Nintendo seem to make money on the games, why would that be?
They are companies, designed to rake in as much cash as physically possible, and they will do what they must, to do so.

shikamaru317 said:
What I want it to be:
-A proper, big, 3rd person, open world Pokemon game with voice acting and a new engine offering a fairly substantial graphical improvement.

What it will probably be:
-A rushed out game that is using the same engine as gen 7 except using HD assets. Basically gen 7.5 instead of a proper gen 8.

How can it be using the same engine as Gen 7 when it is using HD assets? Magic?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

caffeinade said: 

Pokemon could make insane profits, even if they were to sell the games in such a way that they do not directly profit from the game sales.
Pokemon is such a strong brand that the plushies and stuff, would still make them more money than most IP will ever make their owners.

They are companies, designed to rake in as much cash as physically possible, and they will do what they must, to do so.

Thankfully Nintendo isn't 100% about maximizing profit without consideration for the consumer like some other major game companies. They've not even implemented standard dlc into mainline Pokemon, not even amiibos, despite those also being obviously profitable moves. Even if they do eventually use microtransactions and what have you, I'm sure they'll atleast be unintrusive and ignorable like most of their dlc.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
caffeinade said: 

Thankfully Nintendo isn't 100% about maximizing profit without consideration for the consumer like some other major game companies. They've not even implemented standard dlc into mainline Pokemon, not even amiibos, despite those also being obviously profitable moves. Even if they do eventually use microtransactions and what have you, I'm sure they'll atleast be unintrusive and ignorable like most of their dlc.

I don't want to be milked for all I am worth, that much should be obvious.
The 3DS did not come with much internal storage this makes DLC and Amiibo hard to do for Pokemon titles.
Were I Game Freak I would of just bided my time until I had a game on a console with a decent amount of storage; like the Switch.

As a consumer I would rather have expansion packs then have to buy a new title for a nominally different experience.
I think there is a way where Game Freak can improve upon their practices via the use of DLC and perhaps the odd microtransaction.

Personally I do welcome the addition of purchasable cosmetics, under the assumption that Game Freak are adding content to the game, and are not cutting content to squeeze more money out of me.