By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will Pokemon Switch be?

caffeinade said: 

I don't want to be milked for all I am worth, that much should be obvious.
The 3DS did not come with much internal storage this makes DLC and Amiibo hard to do for Pokemon titles.
Were I Game Freak I would of just bided my time until I had a game on a console with a decent amount of storage; like the Switch.

As a consumer I would rather have expansion packs then have to buy a new title for a nominally different experience.
I think there is a way where Game Freak can improve upon their practices via the use of DLC and perhaps the odd microtransaction.

Personally I do welcome the addition of purchasable cosmetics, under the assumption that Game Freak are adding content to the game, and are not cutting content to squeeze more money out of me.

Plenty of 3DS games had DLC and amiibo, and amiibo has nothing to do with storage, it unlocks content already on the cartridge (bar a few games that had amiibo support added after release like New Leaf).

Well their strategy has been uber successful for them so I wouldn't expect it to change. Don't think you need to buy every game, only get the ones you feel aren't just slightly different. I've yet to get any of the remakes, though Gen 4 will likely be the one exception.

Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:
caffeinade said: 

I don't want to be milked for all I am worth, that much should be obvious.
The 3DS did not come with much internal storage this makes DLC and Amiibo hard to do for Pokemon titles.
Were I Game Freak I would of just bided my time until I had a game on a console with a decent amount of storage; like the Switch.

As a consumer I would rather have expansion packs then have to buy a new title for a nominally different experience.
I think there is a way where Game Freak can improve upon their practices via the use of DLC and perhaps the odd microtransaction.

Personally I do welcome the addition of purchasable cosmetics, under the assumption that Game Freak are adding content to the game, and are not cutting content to squeeze more money out of me.

Plenty of 3DS games had DLC and amiibo, and amiibo has nothing to do with storage, it unlocks content already on the cartridge (bar a few games that had amiibo support added after release like New Leaf).

Well their strategy has been uber successful for them so I wouldn't expect it to change. Don't think you need to buy every game, only get the ones you feel aren't just slightly different. I've yet to get any of the remakes, though Gen 4 will likely be the one exception.

Having DLC and Amiibo unlock after purchase, requires Game Freak to make the content before release.
Sun and Moon was about 3.2GB each, with a 3DS' packed in SD card going up to a max of 4GB (Pretty sure about this).
Early 3DS models with their bundled SD cards, would not even be able to hold the entirety of game if bought digitally, let alone substantial DLC content.

Game Freak was left with two options:
Make a new game for stuff that should, otherwise be DLC.
Try to sell DLC to a user base that may not even be able to store it on their systems.

We don't know how Game Freak's engine handles additional content, it may be true that their engines are hard to add content to post release.
Most of these limitations go away, or are at least mitigated on a system with a massive 32GB of inbuilt storage, and Micro SD expandability.

Get your microtransactions out of here. No mainline Pokemon game should ever have microtransactions, save that mechanic for spinoff mobile phone titles.

Microtransactions negatively impact the games that they are in. Unless the game is free to play, there is no reason a game should feature such a terrible method that devalues the game that it is in.

caffeinade said:
Green098 said:

A main series Pokémon game just like any other... that's what I think at least, I don't see any reason to think anything else to be honest.

I hope it's based on like Italy or the UK.

Game Freak can only do so much in a year or two though, and the allure of infinite profits is surely tempting.

I do hope it is a complete, fulfilling experience.
If there are microtransactions, I would want them to add to the game.

Theyve done fine so far. None of the recent games have suffered from being released only a year or two apart.

And microtransactions adding to the game? Since when have they ever done that in any game? Clothing customisations? They may be a nice little extra but its not worth paying extra for.