By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 VS Switch lifetime sales, which console will sell the most?

What do you expect?

NSW will win by a huge margin 53 16.06%

NSW will win by a small margin 75 22.73%

PS4 will win by a small margin 75 22.73%

PS4 will win by a huge margin 117 35.45%

Sorry, no troll XB1 option. :P Oh wait... 10 3.03%

Total:330
zorg1000 said:
Intrinsic said:

I would have thought this was blatantly obvious. Like I can't even believe this discussion has gotten this far and that now its being misconstrued to encompass things that weren't even the point of the discussion to begin with.

Like how can you sell what you can't make?

Which console in 30 years has launched with stock of more than 2.5M units in its launch week?

If you sell outta all your available stock in 2 days in march. It means you would have sold out of all said stock in November just the same all other things being equal (price and that game).

If you are selling as much stock as you make, which is dictated by you manufacturing prowess... then it doesn't matter what time of the year you are selling them. you are still limited by your manufacturing capacity.

Somehow, in this thread... these concepts that I would have thought were obvious are suddenly so complicated.

A console manufacturer will plan things differently when it comes to the holiday shopping season vs the slower spring months.

Somehow, in this thread.....these concepts that i would have thought were obvious are suddenly so complicated.

and how many examples do you want, showing you this is not always true? sometimes they can only ship a certain amount no matter what period. wii, ps2, and 360 back up this fact 100%. they had little to no stock. ps4 couldn't even launch in japan during the holidays because of limited stock.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:

A console manufacturer will plan things differently when it comes to the holiday shopping season vs the slower spring months.

Somehow, in this thread.....these concepts that i would have thought were obvious are suddenly so complicated.

Oooohhh.... so you are now in the camp that since nintendo was releasing in march thats why they didn't plan to make more consoles? How do you know this? what evidence is there to show that nintendo (especially) in the case of teh switch could have just whipped up more consoles if they wanted? Weren't they even originally to launch in 2016? I mean... the console had been hinted by nintendo themselves since 2014 i think or was it sooner. But somehow, they just ended up releasing as many consoles as every other manufacturer that is doing well tends to release in the same time period..... even while they were downplaying their expectations?

So we are no longer dealing with facts but instead with conjecture?

Ok... can you tell me a time when nintendo (or any other console manufacturer for that matter) had shipped more than 3/4M consoles in the launch week?

quickrick said:
zorg1000 said:

and how many examples do you want, showing you this is not always true? sometimes they can only ship a certain amount no matter what period. wii, ps2, and 360 back up this fact 100%. they had little to no stock. ps4 couldn't even launch in japan during the holidays because of limited stock.

I have honestly given up on this topic. I am in shock.

Apparently the only way to make this march launch window argument relevant now is to assume that nintendop could have made more consoles if they knew they were launching in november. When no console in history has ever done something like that. 

Yup... i quit... can't argue with that kinda reasoning.

zorg1000 said:
Intrinsic said:

I would have thought this was blatantly obvious. Like I can't even believe this discussion has gotten this far and that now its being misconstrued to encompass things that weren't even the point of the discussion to begin with.

Like how can you sell what you can't make?

Which console in 30 years has launched with stock of more than 2.5M units in its launch week?

If you sell outta all your available stock in 2 days in march. It means you would have sold out of all said stock in November just the same all other things being equal (price and that game).

If you are selling as much stock as you make, which is dictated by you manufacturing prowess... then it doesn't matter what time of the year you are selling them. you are still limited by your manufacturing capacity.

Somehow, in this thread... these concepts that I would have thought were obvious are suddenly so complicated.

Yeah thing is despite your assertion that they "plan differently based on when they launch" (tales from your ass) they both had major stock issues within the first 2 months and they both broke records 

bluedawgs said:
zorg1000 said:

Yeah thing is despite your assertion that they "plan differently based on when they launch" (tales from your ass) they both had major stock issues within the first 2 months and they both broke records 

another fun fact ps3 which had crazy hype, couldn't launch in europe, its strongest market for the holidays because of limited stock, tales from his ass indeed.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
zorg1000 said:

Again, its been proven with actual data that basically every console that launched in Nov had a relatively stable 2nd month while every console launched outside of Q4 had a massive 2nd month drop.

I understand that many of these consoles had shortages but every console manufacturer will provide more stock in Dec compared to April, that is how holiday launch is an advantage.

Again... as I have said before. You are RIGHT. But that ONLY applies to consoles that aren't limited by stock to begin with.

It doesn't matter how much more consoles a manufacturer wants to provide for december if they simply can't. They all try and meet demand as quickly as possible and as cost effectively as possible. Thats why shortly after launch you see things like air freighting hardware.

Explain this though, did the NS sales drop the nxt month compared to the first month? If it did, can we call that a drop if it was still out of stock everywhere for the next 4 months that followed said drop? Is it safe to say that its drop wasn't tied to the launch window but instead to the availability of stock?

No its true for consoles with limited stock as well. Here is NPD data.

PS4 Nov 2013-1.14m

PS4 Dec 2013-860k

Wii Nov 2006-470k

Wii Dec 2006-600k

360 Nov 2005-320k

360 Dec 2005-280k

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Intrinsic said:

Again... as I have said before. You are RIGHT. But that ONLY applies to consoles that aren't limited by stock to begin with.

It doesn't matter how much more consoles a manufacturer wants to provide for december if they simply can't. They all try and meet demand as quickly as possible and as cost effectively as possible. Thats why shortly after launch you see things like air freighting hardware.

Explain this though, did the NS sales drop the nxt month compared to the first month? If it did, can we call that a drop if it was still out of stock everywhere for the next 4 months that followed said drop? Is it safe to say that its drop wasn't tied to the launch window but instead to the availability of stock?

No its true for consoles with limited stock as well. Here is NPD data.

PS4 Nov 2013-1.14m

PS4 Dec 2013-860k

Wii Nov 2006-470k

Wii Dec 2006-600k

360 Nov 2005-320k

360 Dec 2005-280k

I'm lost..... so all that data suggest what exactly? 

The consoles had limited stock? Cause  what I am seeing is a drop in all those consoles second month. I don't see how that refutes my claim.... they still sold all the stock they had available. They just had less stock the following month than the month prior. With exception to the Wii (and there is a reason why things like that happens too). They sold what they made..... so the drop in those cases are related to the availability of stock. Not because of a launch window.

It only applies to consoles that aren't limited by stock. Here's an example. Take the XB1 for instance. In december 2013 it wasn't stock starved like the PS4. It still sold well, but in its case only cause it was released in the holiday window. Lots of presents being bought. If it was just as successful as the PS4, then it would have ben stock starved too. And it wouldn't have mattered if it was in the holidays or not.

Lets just leave this alone though. At this point theer is no need to continue. I believe we have all put our cards on the table, everyone will believe what they wanna believe.

Its possible though that you didn't quite understand what I was saying. Especially if you are referring to the part I bolded.

Last edited by Intrinsic - on 16 November 2017

Intrinsic said:
zorg1000 said:

Oooohhh.... so you are now in the camp that since nintendo was releasing in march thats why they didn't plan to make more consoles? How do you know this? what evidence is there to show that nintendo (especially) in the case of teh switch could have just whipped up more consoles if they wanted? Weren't they even originally to launch in 2016? I mean... the console had been hinted by nintendo themselves since 2014 i think or was it sooner. But somehow, they just ended up releasing as many consoles as every other manufacturer that is doing well tends to release in the same time period..... even while they were downplaying their expectations?

So we are no longer dealing with facts but instead with conjecture?

Ok... can you tell me a time when nintendo (or any other console manufacturer for that matter) had shipped more than 3/4M consoles in the launch week?

None of this is making any sense, when did i say Nintendo would magically of whipped up more consoles if launched in Nov?

When the fuck did anybody say a console manufacturer has shipped 3/4M launch week and what does that have to do with anything?

Youre trying to get me to defend things i have never said.

Everybody knows people are WAAAAYYYYYY more willing to spend hundreds of dollars on gaming in Dec compared to April hence why a console manufacturer will plan accordingly and have more units available with a holiday launch compared to a spring launch.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

For fuck sake, it isn't all that hard. Every popular console will know supply issues. The PS4 had them till June 2014 in my country (Netherlands). If anything it's profitable to launch your console in March since the holidays are closer. Now PS4 and Xbox One launched during the holidays because third party developers want them to launch during the holiday season. So that they can release their blockbuster games on them. Since Nintendo usually doesn't get those Nintendo can release their home console whenever they please. Point remains Nintendo didn't make enough Switches and failed to make enough till long after launch. That has little to do with the holiday season.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

The last few pages feels more like a battlefield than an actual conversation.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you.