By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 VS Switch lifetime sales, which console will sell the most?

What do you expect?

NSW will win by a huge margin 53 16.06%

NSW will win by a small margin 75 22.73%

PS4 will win by a small margin 75 22.73%

PS4 will win by a huge margin 117 35.45%

Sorry, no troll XB1 option. :P Oh wait... 10 3.03%

Total:330
zorg1000 said:
bluedawgs said:
Nintendo fans conceding that it makes sense that the argument that Switch's launch in March is no different than PS4's November launch due to the amount a company can actually produce to meet demand would mean that they give up the only argument they have in regards to explaining how the Switch will somehow outsell PS4 despite being way behind launch aligned. That will not be given up easily.

Just watch, in a few months when Switch holidays sales come into play and it passes PS4 launches aligned, you and others will all of a sudden be using the same arguement.

"Thats not a fair comparison, Switch had a post launch holiday but PS4 hasnt yet!!!"

Im willing to bet at least a half dozen people will say this.

smh......

I am not making an argument if the NS will sell better than the PS4 launch aligned. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it does. I am of the few that felt the switch wouldn't be as successful as the wii.... while its still too early to call, I am firmly in the camp now that it will surpass the wii sales. Because its doing what I argued it wouldn't be able to do. Sell as both a handheld and a home console. Nothing wrong with making predictions if you have the integrity enough to at least admit you are wrong.

What we are talking about here is simple. The benefits of launching in holiday period as opposed to not. My argument is simple, and I think I have provided enough information to prove it.

It doesn't matter if you are still limited by stock either way.

I just showed the PS4 literally doubling the launch window sales two, three and probably this year making 4 years later during that same holidayt period. The constant here being the holiday period. Things sell better regardless. Difference is that a year after launch, due to an accumulation of stock in the channels there are more units to meet demand during the holiday period. That all goes out of the window with launch consoles because they don't have a stockpile hanging out on shelves to tap into.

Of course launch aligned the  the switch should pass the PS4 after it has its own holiday period. But then the arguument for sony would be that it was stock limited anyways evn when it launched and still sold about the same amount of units the switch sold during its own launch....regardless of when they launched. But this is a story for another day.

launch aligned, after this holiday I at the very least expect the switch to match or pass the PS4. thing though is that the PS4 will then see its own first post launch holiday period and it will pass the switch again. That will keep happening for a while. I expect you of all people on this site to know that.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:

Lol, you are that spew nonsense. Fact that is they are selling better during holiday season in any case, and that also goes when consoles are launched during holiday season also, console thats launching during holiday season will sell better and much easier compared to same console would launch outside holiday season.

Ok... now I really have nothing to say to you. I never thought it would be possible for anyone to just somehow ignore all the facts presented to them even with explanations until now. You are at that sad place where you aren't refuting anything with facts of your own.... you  are just dismissing them cause you can.

zorg1000 said:
bluedawgs said:
Nintendo fans conceding that it makes sense that the argument that Switch's launch in March is no different than PS4's November launch due to the amount a company can actually produce to meet demand would mean that they give up the only argument they have in regards to explaining how the Switch will somehow outsell PS4 despite being way behind launch aligned. That will not be given up easily.

Just watch, in a few months when Switch holidays sales come into play and it passes PS4 launches aligned, you and others will all of a sudden be using the same arguement.

"Thats not a fair comparison, Switch had a post launch holiday but PS4 hasnt yet!!!"

This kind of shit is why arguing with people like you fucking sucks. You're being either intentionally or unintentionally obtuse.

No one in this thread is arguing that holiday sales aren't monstrous in comparison to non holiday sales, people in this thread are arguing, and I'm gonna bold and capitalize this so there's no misunderstanding (but i'm sure there still will be somehow), HOLIDAY LAUNCHES, SUCH AS THE PS4's, HAVE NO ADVANTAGE OVER A MARCH LAUNCH BECAUSE DUE TO HOW POPULAR CONSOLES ARE, IT ISN'T POSSIBLE TO SUPPLY ENOUGH CONSOLES TO MEET DEMAND  IN THE LAUNCH PERIOD. THERE ARE ENOUGH PEOPLE WILLING TO BUY A CONSOLE DAY ONE THAT THERE JUST WILL NOT BE ENOUGH AVAILABLE, WHETHER THAT IS IN MARCH OR NOVEMBER. 

user moderated for this post - Axum

Last edited by axumblade - on 16 November 2017

bluedawgs said:
zorg1000 said:

This kind of shit is why arguing with people like you fucking sucks. You're being either intentionally or unintentionally obtuse.

No one in this thread is arguing that holiday sales aren't monstrous in comparison to non holiday sales, people in this thread are arguing, and I'm gonna bold and capitalize this so there's no misunderstanding (but i'm sure there still will be somehow), HOLIDAY LAUNCHES, SUCH AS THE PS4's, HAVE NO ADVANTAGE OVER A MARCH LAUNCH BECAUSE DUE TO HOW POPULAR CONSOLES ARE, IT ISN'T POSSIBLE TO SUPPLY ENOUGH CONSOLES TO MEET DEMAND  IN THE LAUNCH PERIOD. THERE ARE ENOUGH PEOPLE WILLING TO BUY A CONSOLE DAY ONE THAT THERE JUST WILL NOT BE ENOUGH AVAILABLE, WHETHER THAT IS IN MARCH OR NOVEMBER. 

Again, its been proven with actual data that basically every console that launched in Nov had a relatively stable 2nd month while every console launched outside of Q4 had a massive 2nd month drop.

I understand that many of these consoles had shortages but every console manufacturer will provide more stock in Dec compared to April, that is how holiday launch is an advantage.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Intrinsic said:
zorg1000 said:

smh......

I am not making an argument if the NS will sell better than the PS4 launch aligned. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it does. I am of the few that felt the switch wouldn't be as successful as the wii.... while its still too early to call, I am firmly in the camp now that it will surpass the wii sales. Because its doing what I argued it wouldn't be able to do. Sell as both a handheld and a home console. Nothing wrong with making predictions if you have the integrity enough to at least admit you are wrong.

What we are talking about here is simple. The benefits of launching in holiday period as opposed to not. My argument is simple, and I think I have provided enough information to prove it.

It doesn't matter if you are still limited by stock either way.

I just showed the PS4 literally doubling the launch window sales two, three and probably this year making 4 years later during that same holidayt period. The constant here being the holiday period. Things sell better regardless. Difference is that a year after launch, due to an accumulation of stock in the channels there are more units to meet demand during the holiday period. That all goes out of the window with launch consoles because they don't have a stockpile hanging out on shelves to tap into.

Of course launch aligned the  the switch should pass the PS4 after it has its own holiday period. But then the arguument for sony would be that it was stock limited anyways evn when it launched and still sold about the same amount of units the switch sold during its own launch....regardless of when they launched. But this is a story for another day.

launch aligned, after this holiday I at the very least expect the switch to match or pass the PS4. thing though is that the PS4 will then see its own first post launch holiday period and it will pass the switch again. That will keep happening for a while. I expect you of all people on this site to know that.

I never said otherwise.......

As for your last paragraph, yes i do know this hence why i said that exact thing a few posts back. The fact that PS4/Switch launched in different parts of the year will make their sales comparisons teeter totter for awhile.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
bluedawgs said:

I would have thought this was blatantly obvious. Like I can't even believe this discussion has gotten this far and that now its being misconstrued to encompass things that weren't even the point of the discussion to begin with.

Like how can you sell what you can't make?

Which console in 30 years has launched with stock of more than 2.5M units in its launch week?

If you sell outta all your available stock in 2 days in march. It means you would have sold out of all said stock in November just the same all other things being equal (price and that game).

If you are selling as much stock as you make, which is dictated by you manufacturing prowess... then it doesn't matter what time of the year you are selling them. you are still limited by your manufacturing capacity.

Somehow, in this thread... these concepts that I would have thought were obvious are suddenly so complicated.

zorg1000 said:
bluedawgs said:

Anyway you look at it, it's a stupid comparison, because ps4 will have its first real holiday launch(fully stocked}) shortly and we will have the same argument again  and will make a huge gap with switch again, best to judge yearly sales after this year to get a idea of how great its selling compared to ps4. i expect switch to overtake ps4 after the holiday.

Intrinsic said:
bluedawgs said:

I would have thought this was blatantly obvious. Like I can't even believe this discussion has gotten this far and that now its being misconstrued to encompass things that weren't even the point of the discussion to begin with.

Which console in 30 years has launched with stock of more than 2.5M units in its launch week?

If you sell outta all your available stock in 2 days in march. It means you would have sold out of all said stock in November just the same all other things being equal (price and that game).

If you are selling as much stock as you make, which is dictated by you manufacturing prowess... then it doesn't matter what time of the year you are selling them. you are still limited by your manufacturing capacity.

Somehow, in this thread... these concepts that I would have thought were obvious are suddenly so complicated.

A console manufacturer will plan things differently when it comes to the holiday shopping season vs the slower spring months.

Somehow, in this thread.....these concepts that i would have thought were obvious are suddenly so complicated.

Intrinsic said:
bluedawgs said:

people just  wanna push there obvious  bias, and ignore the facts to suit there agenda.

zorg1000 said:

Again, its been proven with actual data that basically every console that launched in Nov had a relatively stable 2nd month while every console launched outside of Q4 had a massive 2nd month drop.

I understand that many of these consoles had shortages but every console manufacturer will provide more stock in Dec compared to April, that is how holiday launch is an advantage.

Again... as I have said before. You are RIGHT. But that ONLY applies to consoles that aren't limited by stock to begin with.

It doesn't matter how much more consoles a manufacturer wants to provide for december if they simply can't. They all try and meet demand as quickly as possible and as cost effectively as possible. Thats why shortly after launch you see things like air freighting hardware.

Explain this though, did the NS sales drop the nxt month compared to the first month? If it did, can we call that a drop if it was still out of stock everywhere for the next 4 months that followed said drop? Is it safe to say that its drop wasn't tied to the launch window but instead to the availability of stock?