By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2017 - FINISH YOUR LISTS

game #15

Hint 1: Combine materials gained from slaying monsters to get magical stones.

Hint 2: It's a spinoff of a long-running series (that started in the 80s).

Hint 3: As you fulfill quests the tavern gets emptied.

Hint 4: Deep in the labyrinth is a ... waterfall?

Hint 5: What the hell happened in this Forsaken Land?

game #14

Hint 1: Poisoning the environment is setting the events in this game into action.

Hint 2: A time-traveling toilet.

Correctly guessed by The_Liquid_Laser: Day of the Tentacle.

game #13

Hint 1: You die in the tutorial.

Correctly guessed by The_Liquid_Laser: Demon's Souls.

game #12

Hint 1: Play as a goddess and fight an old beast.

Correctly guessed by mZuzek: Okami.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 17 December 2017

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
mZuzek said:

Keyword: sequel.

Edit: oh my god dude it's right there.

Okay, is someone seriously not going to guess this? I mean, the hint was

#15 - This sequel finally came out 8 years after its predecessor, and it shatters a lot of expectations.

...and it isn't Metroid Prime, because Metroid Prime isn't a sequel. (Thought-process: what is a sequel, then?) How much more obvious could it be?

Metroid Fusion.

mZuzek said:
StarDoor said:

Metroid Fusion.

I thought maybe you'd left or something, and that was why you didn't answer earlier. Now I'm just confused.

I thought Fusion released way later than 2002, but your post made me look it up.

mZuzek said:

The_Liquid_Laser said:
#13 This mobile game is a sequel to tower defense game where you have to grow your defenses to repel an undead horde.

Know nothing about these but I assume that could be Plants Vs. Zombies 2?

That is correct!

Farsala said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Time for more hints

#16 This 80's arcade game could be described as Minecraft with a bicycle pump.
Hint 2: This game was in Stranger Things 2.
Hint 3: The title of this game is two verbs. One of the verbs is the past tense of the other.
Hint 4: In this arcade game you dig through the ground while defeating enemies by dropping rocks on them You can also inflate them with a bicycle pump until they blow up.

#13 This mobile game is a sequel to tower defense game where you have to grow your defenses to repel an undead horde.

#12 This is the spiritual successor to a PS3 game, This game also has 2 sequels and a spin-off game.

16: Namco's Dig Dug, ah the memories.

13: Kingdom Rush 2?

12: Dark Souls

16 and 12 are correct!

Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Time for more hints

#16 This 80's arcade game could be described as Minecraft with a bicycle pump.
Hint 2: This game was in Stranger Things 2.
Hint 3: The title of this game is two verbs. One of the verbs is the past tense of the other.
Hint 4: In this arcade game you dig through the ground while defeating enemies by dropping rocks on them You can also inflate them with a bicycle pump until they blow up.

#12 This is the spiritual successor to a PS3 game, This game also has 2 sequels and a spin-off game.

Oh, I get it now: #16 is Dig Dug.

#13 is Plants vs. Zombies 2, but I think someone already guessed that.

And #12 is probably Dark Souls.

All 3 are correct, although the others beat you to the answers.

mZuzek said:
So after that couple of very blue posts, I'm gonna go and hint the next two games, because well, weekends and stuff.

#14 - Just like Metroid Fusion this sequel also shattered expectations, though it released quite quickly after its predecessor.
#13 - Trés bien!

13 is Pokemon X/Y.

Around the Network

You play as the best doggo in Japan

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

#16 The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds / 3DS

After Minish Cap and Wind Waker, none of the Zelda games that followed grabbed me or captivated me as much, until this game came out, I finished it and 100% it in like 3 days, just because I was so addicted, it was a tight and magical game, from its soundtrack and little touches, like intensifying the overworld theme after getting the Master Sword, the dungeons, the item rental system, the upgrades, searching for the cute Maimais, the story (freaking Ravio) the game hit the right notes with me every time, an excellent Zelda game and one of the best 3DS games out there, absolute must play.

#15 Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island / SNES - GBA

Is Yoshi’s Island, the fantastic level design, the art style, the great mechanics, the absolute perfect soundtrack, it doesn’t have that many tracks, but the ones it has are nothing short of perfection, culminating in one of the best final bosses of all time, it earned its title of one of the best 2D platformers ever made, if not the best.

Farsala said:
Mnementh said:

game #18

Hint 1: You have three days.

18 is LOZ Majora's Mask?

As guessed by Farsala, my game #18 is The Legend of Zelda Majoras Mask.

Majoras Mask is a lot darker than the other Zelda titles. Which in itself makes it interesting. And although the basic gameplay is the same, because of you reliving the same three days, timing your actions and gathering masks makes it feel quite different.

As I never owned a N64 I played that game on the 3DS in the remake. Possibly this enhances the experience a bit, I wouldn't know. But it was just a great game. The masks add gameplay depth. In a way they are like items: you need the right mask for some puzzles. But it feels different, especially as you start out fused into one role.

Also, please do not forget that this game introduced Tingle.

Where would the Zelda-series be without him.

Wikipedia, MobyGames, OGDB, IGDB

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Come on guys, it can't be that difficult.

game #15

Hint 1: Combine materials gained from slaying monsters to get magical stones.

Hint 2: It's a spinoff of a long-running series (that started in the 80s).

Hint 3: As you fulfill quests the tavern gets emptied.

Hint 4: Deep in the labyrinth is a ... waterfall?

Hint 5: What the hell happened in this Forsaken Land?

Hint 6: What Wizardry did you put in this tale by taking away your memory?

S.Peelman said:

The player character is a legend in this land for his supposed great deeds in a war a long time ago. In reality however, he died on a battlefield by the first arrow shot without ever facing a single enemy.

#15 - Hint 2

So now, after a long time, when your old nemesis, an evil sorcerer has returned, your character's revived to finally live up to his legendary status.