By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2017 - FINISH YOUR LISTS

mZuzek said:
Farsala said:

First thing that came to mind was Smash bros Melee, but you said its a decade old so Smash bros Brawl.

Neither. I didn't say it's a decade old, I said it's current decade, as in, it was released in the 2010's.

Edit: also whose hands hurt playing Brawl? Nah, when I say the game was criticized for this, I mean for real, like actual critics mentioning it as a real problem in the game.

I don't know I just figured it did with GC controller like mine did with Melee.

Around the Network

#24 Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

The definitive Fire Emblem game, a great story with memorable characters, great level design, no padding, no pace brakers, not too long or too short, just one consistent, challenging and fun adventure that I can find time to replay every now and then.

It was also the one that introduced me to the franchise and have plenty of fond memories from my childhood, which from what I remember the most is the fight against the Black Knight, one of the best build ups to any fight. 

StarDoor said:
mZuzek said:

Probably.

I'm gonna go ahead and move into the top 20 now. I'm not sure I can do it elegantly as I promised (oh no), but eh, whatever, let's go.

This is the moment where I wanna say something like "these next 20 games are the real shit" and stuff, but the reality this year is that the "real shit" level games have already started at #22 (sorry Ocarina of Time, you're just missing out... again). Sadly, as it is, the top 20 is what gets all the glory, so Gold & Silver and Hyper Light Drifter will just have to miss out on that status - well if anything, at least Gold & Silver have already been there in the past, and I wouldn't doubt HLD moving up and breaking into it next year.
Either way, top 20 time!

#20 - A game actually criticized for making the player's hands hurt. I'm not sure if it's the game's fault or the console's, but it's true.
(edit: oh and just so no one starts thinking about weird control schemes, no, this game uses traditional controls.)

Kid Icarus: Uprising?

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!

#23 Pokémon Black/ White Version

Still my favorite Pokémon adventure (you got close Sun/Moon), games with a lot of small details that makes them my favorite, the pinch theme and the last Pokémon theme for the leaders, some differences in city designs depending on the version, increasing instruments in certain town, especially something memorable in the Bridge Village, the fact that only new Pokémon show up for the main game, the great storyline with memorable characters, either be N or your friends Cheren and Bianca, the incredible OST and lovely sprite work, just an amazing title overall.

And all dem Pokéships it spawned

A Trio of Tales

#22 Tales of Vesperia (Xbox 360) / #21 Tales of the Abyss (3DS)  / #20 Tales of Eternia (PS)

Not my absolute favorites of the series, but I find these 3 pretty much on par in terms of quality.

The Tales of series is pretty special to me, my favorite RPG series with its trademark fast paced real time combat system, they are an absolute joy to play, it has had its bumps, but overall they are games I can enjoy multiple times, even at their worst like Graces, only talking about the main titles.

Tales of Eternia is one I got to experience pretty recently and it was worth the investment, it reminds me of another title with a great development of atmosphere and setting, establishes two worlds pretty well and fleshes out their charm and personality, a pretty personal journey between the main characters, brought out by the plentiful character interaction with or without skits, has its frustrating moments (freaking Aifread) but is one of the most charming Tales of out there, 11/10 PS1 english dub ftw too.

Tales of Vesperia, still the prettiest Tales of game, with one stellar soundtrack and a cast of memorable characters that drive the plot forward through their ambitions and goals rather than the plot moving their characters forward, is a pretty set in stone cast, that while not as much development as other entries, manages to make for a pretty engaging storyline regardless, it has some pacing issues in the combat regarding skills unlocks, but once it gets going is great.

Tales of the Abyss, a title that can be pretty divisive due to its characters, if you are in for the ride, it becomes one of the darkest, most emotional and memorable entry in the series yet, Luke fon Fabre, the main character, has one of the best character arcs I have had the pleasure to experience and the whole personal stories that each main character has to settle with one of the villians makes some of the fights even more engaging.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
mZuzek said:

#20 - A game actually criticized for making the player's hands hurt. I'm not sure if it's the game's fault or the console's, but it's true. (edit: oh and just so no one starts thinking about weird control schemes, no, this game uses traditional controls.)

Well I guess it's time for another hint, but I'm worried anything more will make it too easy. Let me think this through, hm...

Hint 2 - This game features some extras for 100% completion that have made fans of this franchise wildly speculate about the next entry. (edit: also, this wasn't an "official" hint but I did say it's a game from the current decade, so there's that.)

Oh, is it Metroid: Samus Returns?

Farsala said:
Mnementh said:

game #18

Hint 1: You have three days.

18 is LOZ Majora's Mask?

Yes.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

ARamdomGamer said:

#24 Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

The definitive Fire Emblem game, a great story with memorable characters, great level design, no padding, no pace brakers, not too long or too short, just one consistent, challenging and fun adventure that I can find time to replay every now and then.

It was also the one that introduced me to the franchise and have plenty of fond memories from my childhood, which from what I remember the most is the fight against the Black Knight, one of the best build ups to any fight. 

Hmm, I never played that, but probably should try it out, as I liked Radiant Dawn.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Ka-pi96 said:
Mnementh said:

game #22

Hint 1: Tactical turn-based RPG on a hexgrid.

Hint 2: Level-up into an advanced class.

Hint 3: Fight with knights, mages, elves, thieves or ... merfolk?

Hint 4: Sprites for the units on the map and comic-graphics for overlayed people in conversations.

Hint 5: Currently way more than 10 official single-player campaigns and much more as user-generated content.

Hint 6: Heir to the Throne, A Tale of Two Brothers, The Hammer of Thursagan or Under Burning Suns? Which do you want to play?

That's Battle for Wesnoth! Almost guessed it earlier, but that last hint really gives it away!

Finally Ka-Pi guessed it. Yes, Battle for Wesnoth. I had to make a more specific hint, because it is time to unveil (already a few days late, but I'm catching up).

Battle for Wesnoth is a tactical round-based strategy with strong RPG-elements (not unlike Fire Emblem games). The fights happen on a hex-grid. While in Fire Emblem all fighters are given to you through the story, in Wesnoth you hire units of certain types additionally to the heroes you get with the story. Hiring units or recalling some you used in the last scenario costs you gold, so that limits the troops you can bring. Gold is earned by capturing villages, so if you do that cleverly, you can have a bigger army.

The setting is a medieval magical fantasy world. Many of the factions you can play are typical: humans with knights, mages or sometimes thieves, dwarfes, elves, orcs and so on. Merfolk on the other hand was something I don't see happen that often. Or undeads.

The game has currently 16 main campaigns. I say currently, because the game is constantly developed on. That is not all. The game has a thriving community, that develops tons of user-generated campaigns, maps or add-ons. Each campaign has it's own story, although they may be connected as all happens in the same setting.

If playing the single-player campaigns isn't enough for you, you can play online matches.

Something that is special is, that the game is an open-source game. Usually I see that OSS-games suck. While the open-source community excels at technical stuff, it often is missing artists or a general concise direction. I think the art here is good (although you could argue it is only 2D, but many of the games in my list are, so that shocks me not), the music is pretty great and the concept of the main campaigns is great.

The game can be downloaded for free from the website: http://wesnoth.org/

Wikipedia, MobyGames, OGDB, IGDB

game #20

Hint 1: If I would've played this game, this should be not lower on the list than #20.

Hint 2: Sword-fighting obviously is won by best banter.

Guessed by Liquid_Laser: The Secret of Monkey Island.

game #19

Hint 1: The rebels of the dawn brigade are lead by the silver-haired girl.

Guessed by Liquid_Laser: Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.

game #18

Hint 1: You have three days.

Guessed by Farsala: The Legend of Zelda Majoras Mask.

game #17

Hint 1: She fights enemies now on the Wii.

Guessed by mZuzek: Metroid Prime 3 Corruption

Last edited by Mnementh - on 12 December 2017