By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - October 2017 NPD Thread! Switch #1

tbone51 said:
zorg1000 said:

Ya i got it, doing comparable numbers as PS4/XBO in Oct is bad.

And its switches first year too! Its only down hill from here lmao.

Only thing he is right about is alot of us predicted higher. I kno he didnt though lol

I predicted 360k. mario bundle, plus huge hype for a true mario 64 sequel, thats the highest rated game of all time now, ALONG with switch stock being available everywhere. these numbers caught me by surprise.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
zorg1000 said:

Ya i got it, doing comparable numbers as PS4/XBO in Oct is bad.

Only thing he is right about is alot of us predicted higher. I kno he didnt though lol

Wasn't ~300k pretty obvious based on previous npd results?

We have it slightly over 2.3m through sept and Nintendo reported 2.6m a few days after mario odyssey released.

To me that seemed pretty obvious that it did around 300k give or take.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
tbone51 said:

Wasn't ~300k pretty obvious based on previous npd results?

We have it slightly over 2.3m through sept and Nintendo reported 2.6m a few days after mario odyssey released.

To me that seemed pretty obvious that it did around 300k give or take.

sorry i meant to write it did near 290k.

not really. 300k was the lowest number, it could have did 380k and nintedo could still say it did only 2.6

globalisateur said:
UltimateGamer1982 said:
Like i said before, ps4’s time at the top is over. Nintendomination is in full effect. Ps4 had a good run but the switch has beat it most of this year. GtS even seems to have flopped and had no effect on hardware sales.

PS4 will continue selling well but it feels as if it’s days at the top are behind it. I’m genuinely shocked at the switch’s performance. I didn’t think anything could dethrone ps4.

You are comparing launch period of Switch (still hard to find) with its main games (Zelda, Mario Kart and now Mario) with the fourth period of PS4 and that only in US.

Exactly. A hard to find console 8 months after launch is beating a 4 year old console which some say could be its peak year with games such as gran turismo, horizon, uncharted, crash bandicoot and more. And no it’s not that hard to find lately. I’ve seen ample supply at target Best Buy and amazon in recent weeks. 

Awful month for PS4 if it can't get to 300K. Blame GT Sport and its terrible 1P mode.

Is #17 a good result for FE Warriors? How many copies would that be?

I don't understand how T2 can be satisfied of 2K18 at #9 in the Switch-centric chart. That doesn't seem like a lot of units...

Around the Network
ryuzaki57 said:
Awful month for PS4 if it can't get to 300K. Blame GT Sport and its terrible 1P mode.

I don't understand how T2 can be satisfied of 2K18 at #9 in the Switch-centric chart. That doesn't seem like a lot of units...

No clue if either of those are good results without actul numbers. A placement on a chart without any context for numbers means little.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

ryuzaki57 said:

Which should be fine considering previous NPD october:

PS4 Oct 2014-297k

PS4 Oct 2015-275k

PS4 Oct 2016-235k

DonFerrari said:
globalisateur said:

You are comparing launch period of Switch (still hard to find) with its main games (Zelda, Mario Kart and now Mario) with the fourth period of PS4 and that only in US.

The issue is that this is the best year of PS4 ever... so if he was comparing to PS4 first year this would make the difference more in favor of Switch.

Zekkyou said:

I think you've overestimated the PS4's position in the US. It's only a moderate amount ahead of the X1, and its victories have in large part been because of decline from its competition. It's sold well, but unless it has some amazing legs it's likley going to end up behind not only NA's 7th gen leader, but all the way at 4th (it's currently at 22m on VGC, and needs to hit 45m to hit 3rd place).

PS4 is doing good numbers, but comparing to last gen we have PS4 and X1 doing good instead of only X360 doing great. But you are right, it will be kinda hard for PS4 to cross the 40M on USA alone. And if switch keep doing these good numbers on the gen end we may have PS4, X1 and Switch closer than any 3 consoles have ever been in USA.

That's the thing, it wasn't just the 360. Everyone was pulling in relatively big numbers. The PS3 managed 29m, the 360 49m, the Wii 45m, the DS 57m, and the PSP 21m. It was a crazy time, and shows that there is a lot of room between what consoles are doing right now in NA and what's been repeatedly shown as possible.

Zekkyou said:
DonFerrari said:

The issue is that this is the best year of PS4 ever... so if he was comparing to PS4 first year this would make the difference more in favor of Switch.

PS4 is doing good numbers, but comparing to last gen we have PS4 and X1 doing good instead of only X360 doing great. But you are right, it will be kinda hard for PS4 to cross the 40M on USA alone. And if switch keep doing these good numbers on the gen end we may have PS4, X1 and Switch closer than any 3 consoles have ever been in USA.

That's the thing, it wasn't just the 360. Everyone was pulling in relatively big numbers. The PS3 managed 29m, the 360 49m, the Wii 45m, the DS 57m, and the PSP 21m. It was a crazy time, and shows that there is a lot of room between what consoles are doing right now in NA and what's been repeatedly shown as possible.

The market is shrinking for consoles, it's obvious, and for handhelds it will be much worse. i expect ps5 and xbone to struggle, especially the next xbox. switch sales will  start slowing down next year as well, the market is starting to stagnate.  

Shame we dont know PS4 numbers. How did it look in the amazon charts last month? If I recall PS4 was no where to be seen then, this would suggest that the gaps on amazon are not really equating to much difference right now, or am I reading the situation wrong.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!