By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Bloomberg: Microsoft to expand software development, looking into opening/aquiring studios. Also streaming

Tagged games:

Microsoft should acquire studios like Psyonix or blue hole. Games as a service is the future and they make a shit load of money.

Around the Network

Phil is now VP has has more power to do things. He worked his way up to where he can make actual change and looks like its happening. This has been his plan all along.

Well that's always good to hear Microsoft increasing investment in the amazing Xbox division...

Only fear I have... Hopefully they won't buy this PUGS shit.. For real, I don't understand the hype around this game and really believe it is overrated but well, not my decision. I mean, I love shooters and the game is okayish but that's it, not big deal there :)

Maybe they can spend the money on making a nice follow to ReCore, buy Epic, maybe start new franchise (but I think it is just better and simplier to buy a studio who is already working on something new and make it 10x times better like they did with Bungie), new Jade Empire game, etc... Lot of options.

Hum, they should make a deal with EA to develop a new KOTOR for Xbox and Windows 10. This would be lovely too :)

Xbox is really looking better than ever, if only this UPS dood would deliver my Xbox One X ASAP :)

Last edited by Imaginedvl - on 07 November 2017

Microsoft bought Rare. And we saw what happened to them. Microsoft needs to create something with creativity from the ground up. They need an identity that sets them apart and speaks to gamers. They need a vision that caters to the consumer and the stockholders simultaneously. They need to allow developers under their wing have and use the freedom given to them to follow their own vision as well. But this is not Microsoft, and they've attempted to use that gaming facade Phil Spencer to convince us otherwise. Given Microsoft's track record in recent years, who actually sanely believes them?

Last edited by LivingMetal - on 07 November 2017

LivingMetal said:
Microsoft bought Rare. And we saw what happened to them. Microsoft needs to create something with creativity from the ground up. They need an identity that sets them apart and speaks to gamers. They need a vision that caters to the consumer and the stockholders simultaneously. They need to allow developers under their wing have and use freedom given to them to follow their own vision as well. But this is not Microsoft, and they attempted to use that gaming facade Phil Spencer to convince us otherwise. Given Microsoft's track record in recent years, who actually sanely believes them?

I agree completely. This was never, ever, Microsoft at least in the Xbox space.

Sure by the time the OG Xbox was around they were the newbies trying to make a name for themselves, but 3 generations in, what are the creative hallmarks they can point out to?

A yearly racing game and a few ips that were outright bought from Bungie, Mojang and Epic Games?

Just take all that windows money and create something for once.

Around the Network
malistix1985 said:
This is ofcource to sell consoles, since pretty much every review I read said the Xbox One X is the best console from a hardware perspective in noise, power consumption, size and performance but the games are where it hurts.

If they want to sell this console they need to convince people that the future is bright, when it looks much brighter for Sony Owners.

I personally believe Xbox will turn it around and I am a fan of what Spencer has done, but I can completely agree if people wait before opening their wallet.

Lets hope they do invest more in gaming, its good for everyone.

The Xbox One X is the most power useing console on the market.

Supposedly it in the 170-180w range when playing.

Thats higher than the PS4pro(~140w),PS4slim,Xbox One S, ect.

Noise meh basically a wash with most of them, the xbox one x is small & powerfull though.

Xbox cant turn it around, when it comes to first party games, its basically too late at this point because of developement times.

Unless they had alot of secrete projects going on, its too late for them.

I hope they'll found new studios rather than aqcuire existing studios. Buying Bluehole/PUBG would be like their 2.5 billion Mojang purchase - a good business move (probably), but it doesn't add much to the gaming industry.

Frank_kc said:
We heard the same statement in 2013 from Spencer, but nothing happened..on the contrary, MS closed more studios and canceled more games... I doubt that it will happen.

+

V-r0cK said:
I feel its a little too late for this gen, but going forward into next gen could help.

Yep thats basically how I feel about it too.

Pemalite said:

Well. They are bringing Age of Empires back from the ashes, so I am happy about that.

They need exclusives though... Buying out other games/developers/franchises isn't the right way to go about it in my opinion... Build up something fresh, new and original.

Cancelling Scalebound was a big mistake.
Where is Microsoft's competitor to StarCitizen? They have the Freelancer I.P.
Do something with the Fable I.P.
Stop wasting Kameo.
Do something with Perfect Dark.
Bring back Viva Pinata.
Banjo Kazooi could be rebooted.
What about Black and White?
Mechwarrior and MechCommander?

Microsoft has the potential to make some truly great games... And they don't even need to be graphics powerhouses as Minecraft is a testament to.

Buying out existing studios is not a good way to go about securing exclusives on their side. The last thing I ever want to see them do, is buy a beloved studio and having them milk a single IP or two dry, before taking them out back and ending them. I especially do not want them buying studios that are known for making good games on PC, and then having them make games exclusively for Xbox. We had Ensemble suffer that fate and I'd rather it not happen to anyone else. 

What they should put more focus on doing, is crafting their own studios, based entirely on what they need in their lineup for both PC and Xbox.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

I don't care about PUBG but Bluehole has mmo games and me being a mmo player I would love to see that.

Last edited by Vasto - on 07 November 2017