By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Bloomberg: Microsoft to expand software development, looking into opening/aquiring studios. Also streaming

Tagged games:

think-man said:
Hopefully opening new studios gather than aquiring. I'd like to see something Japanese.

Hell no.

99% of Japanese games suck monkey balls.

User was banned for trolling - Aura7541

Last edited by Aura7541 - on 08 November 2017

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
setsunatenshi said:
Nymeria said:

They also have an asset in owning Minecraft.  They could possibly sell the IP later on.  Maybe for 2.5 billion, maybe more, maybe less.

From their perspective such a massive buy may have been a safer bet than backing ten major game projects.  

#1 they are not going to sell it to anyone for anywhere close to that amount because no one else is stupid enough to pay it

#2 how exactly did it benefit consumers/gamers to have MS hand a 2.5B cheque to Notch?

#3 perhaps if they used this money to do what the other competitors are doing (funding own studios, making new ips, investing in new experiences) then people would actually want their products and be excited for their brand.

As I said before, they have been in the business for nearly 2 decades and still don't have the 1st party content that both Sony and Nintendo give their consumers

#1 - Did you think anyone would pay what Microsoft did before they paid it?  Neither of us have any idea how it will pan out.  Minecraft may be around for two years or twenty years, it all depends on IP management as to its value in 2037.  Who would have imagined in the 80s that Mario would still be relevant in 2010s?

#2 - I never said it did.  It benefited Notch and possibly Microsoft. It was a business decision, not one done out of charity.

#3 - Possible, but Microsoft as a whole seem to have a philosophy of going for larger bets they deem safer.  They made a push in early 360 days for example with Japanese content such as Lost Odyssey and given they stopped I'm guessing that didn't have the immediate ROI they wanted.  They stick with trusted IPs such as Halo and Forza and they bought Gears.

As a gamer I'm not even arguing with you. I think the Xbox One is their weakest effort in terms of appealing to my taste in games. I want Bloodborne, Nioh, Nier: Automata, Horizon: Zero Dawn as these are great and fresh experiences that have made PlayStation my preferred place to play this generation.  All I was saying was they made business decision they felt wa sin their best interest. Time will tell how it plays out, but I'm not sold in and of itself was a terrible decision or if they didn't do it would have pursued the course of action you suggested. The money may have just sat their accumulating interest instead. Hard to know without talking to people behind the decision.

lol @ “how have gamers benefitted”? You can now play the game with friends and family across pretty much any device sans PlayStation and share worlds. That’s a pretty awesome evolution for the franchise. They’ve also continued to release the game on pretty much every platform. There has been zero negatives and nothing but positives about MS buying Mojang. Remember, they bought Mojang, not Minecraft. So they also get other games they make.

This again? Is this like a yearly statement by MS? At least it cant be a let down as is just interest, unlike "greatest line up in xbox history" wich for 2 years straight was shown to be bulls*t.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Chazore said:

Buying out existing studios is not a good way to go about securing exclusives on their side. The last thing I ever want to see them do, is buy a beloved studio and having them milk a single IP or two dry, before taking them out back and ending them. I especially do not want them buying studios that are known for making good games on PC, and then having them make games exclusively for Xbox. We had Ensemble suffer that fate and I'd rather it not happen to anyone else. 

What they should put more focus on doing, is crafting their own studios, based entirely on what they need in their lineup for both PC and Xbox.

I concur.

And that goes for any publisher. EA, Activision... Both renowned for buying, milking and then closing.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
NawaiNey said:
Nymeria said:

They also have an asset in owning Minecraft.  They could possibly sell the IP later on.  Maybe for 2.5 billion, maybe more, maybe less.

From their perspective such a massive buy may have been a safer bet than backing ten major game projects.  

Minecraft was a good purchase for MS for sure. It didn't do anything for us gamers though, we already had Minecraft before MS threw 2.5 billion at it.

I would suggest that you would get more than a 1% return on $2.5 billion .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Am I the only one who doesn't want this to happen?

Microsoft doesn't let their studios have the freedom that Sony and Nintendo does, so whichever one they purchase could end up being another Rare.

There's also rumors that Xbox might bite the dust if it doesn't become profitable soon, so again, any purchased studio could just be boarding a sinking ship.

withdreday said:

Microsoft doesn't let their studios have the freedom that Sony and Nintendo does, so whichever one they purchase could end up being another Rare.

There's also rumors that Xbox might bite the dust if it doesn't become profitable soon, so again, any purchased studio could just be boarding a sinking ship.

Xbox is wildly profitable since about halfway though last gen.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

DirtyP2002 said:
think-man said:
Hopefully opening new studios gather than aquiring. I'd like to see something Japanese.

Hell no.

99% of Japanese games suck monkey balls.

I disagree, I'd say 99% of western games suck monkey balls. Plus the main reason I bought a 360 was for the Exclusive Japanese games, I have zero intention of buying a X1 without something Japanese that isn't available elsewhere.

withdreday said:

Micrsoft acquiring a studio or franchise is boarding a sinking ship. Xbox profitable or not. This is not even an exaggeration.

Hunting Season is done...