By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Bloomberg: Microsoft to expand software development, looking into opening/aquiring studios. Also streaming

Tagged games:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-06/microsoft-boosts-video-game-investment-as-focus-shifts-to-software

I know people complain about their software a lot, as someone who loves Xbox but doesn't really care for most MS games it's never bothered me much but I can see where those people are coming from. Now that they've tackled the hardware issues Xbone had, seems they're moving on to software.Also they plan to roll out some sort of streaming service sometime in the near future, apparently they built it up internally years ago but the tech wasn't ready. Thanks to Azure, it's now viable.

They apparently already tried to buy Bluehole (PUBG). Maybe if PUBG explodes on Xbone they'll revisit that discussion. The PUBG team was recently split off into it's own thing, they could buy that instead of buying Bluehole. Obsidian is another logical choice. Playground Games, Moon Studios, Undead Labs. These three have long partnerships making great games with Microsoft already, would make sense for MS to scoop them up. Of course, MS tried this already to start this gen. Three of the studios IIRC were closed and one is now working solely on Gears.

Also this video showed me I have been pronouncing Azure wrong this whole time. What an idiot.

Lock if old.

Around the Network

Lets see how much of that is PR talk and actual intentions in the comming years.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

I'll believe it when I see it.

$2.5 Billion later on Minecraft does not inspire a ton of confidence on their next purchase.

but hey... good for the industry in general if they finally decided to opening new studios

This is ofcource to sell consoles, since pretty much every review I read said the Xbox One X is the best console from a hardware perspective in noise, power consumption, size and performance but the games are where it hurts.

If they want to sell this console they need to convince people that the future is bright, when it looks much brighter for Sony Owners.

I personally believe Xbox will turn it around and I am a fan of what Spencer has done, but I can completely agree if people wait before opening their wallet.

Lets hope they do invest more in gaming, its good for everyone.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Around the Network
setsunatenshi said:
$2.5 Billion later on Minecraft does not inspire a ton of confidence on their next purchase.

but hey... good for the industry in general if they finally decided to opening new studios

They’re making more money off Minecraft than that 2.5B would have accrued in interest sitting in the bank, which was their goal. Seems like it was a good business move.

I feel we've heard this many times already, still waiting for the evidence.

LudicrousSpeed said:
setsunatenshi said:

They’re making more money off Minecraft than that 2.5B would have accrued in interest sitting in the bank, which was their goal. Seems like it was a good business move.

are they though? because those 2.5B are gone now

Well, after about 4 years of promises it will be good if it finally happens.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Well. They are bringing Age of Empires back from the ashes, so I am happy about that.

They need exclusives though... Buying out other games/developers/franchises isn't the right way to go about it in my opinion... Build up something fresh, new and original.

Cancelling Scalebound was a big mistake.
Where is Microsoft's competitor to StarCitizen? They have the Freelancer I.P.
Do something with the Fable I.P.
Stop wasting Kameo.
Do something with Perfect Dark.
Bring back Viva Pinata.
Banjo Kazooi could be rebooted.
What about Black and White?
Mechwarrior and MechCommander?

Microsoft has the potential to make some truly great games... And they don't even need to be graphics powerhouses as Minecraft is a testament to.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--