By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - The Russian Empire vs. the Soviet Union - a geographic/territorial comparison

I want to point out Kaliningrad Oblast, for those out of the current loop, is in a way along with East Germany the region that amounted to the former nation previously known as Prussia. So yes, Russia seized Prussia, but don't confuse your Ussias...

Around the Network

Those maps are hot. But here is something even sexier.

fory77 said:

I'm not an irridentist myself, but I do know some Canadians that want Alaska and Greenland

VGPolyglot said:
fory77 said:

I'm not an irridentist myself, but I do know some Canadians that want Alaska and Greenland

after that you should go for new england

Last edited by fory77 - on 05 November 2017

fory77 said:
VGPolyglot said:

That map sure does look weird!! I am definitely not used to seeing Alaska and Greenland with Canada.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Yeah, though if I do make another thread like this, I guess I should provide an argument. However, when/if I do so, I'm not sure!

Yeah, there's not a whole lot to discuss/argue here

But still, interesting to see how Russia/USSR expanded and contracted over time.

I remember briefly seeing an article about the very early history of Russia (closest guess - around the time of the very first stage of the first map) with Peter the Great and Ivan the terrible. Apparently it was very nearly conquered and annexed itself by Swedish forces, before they were driven back.

Another weird fact/strange coincidence. Russia has suffered 3 major invasions in it's history. The aforementioned Swedish attack, France under Napoleon and Germany under Hitler. All three made gains into Russian territory but they were ill equipped to deal with the severe Russian winters which hit all 3 extremely hard, allowing the better prepared Russians to drive them back.

VGPolyglot said:
fory77 said:

That map sure does look weird!! I am definitely not used to seeing Alaska and Greenland with Canada.

oh but it gets better

SecondWar said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Yeah, there's not a whole lot to discuss/argue here

But still, interesting to see how Russia/USSR expanded and contracted over time.

I remember briefly seeing an article about the very early history of Russia (closest guess - around the time of the very first stage of the first map) with Peter the Great and Ivan the terrible. Apparently it was very nearly conquered and annexed itself by Swedish forces, before they were driven back.

Another weird fact/strange coincidence. Russia has suffered 3 major invasions in it's history. The aforementioned Swedish attack, France under Napoleon and Germany under Hitler. All three made gains into Russian territory but they were ill equipped to deal with the severe Russian winters which hit all 3 extremely hard, allowing the better prepared Russians to drive them back.

fory77 said:
VGPolyglot said:

oh but it gets better

Where did Florida and the other South East states go?

Flilix said:
fory77 said:

oh but it gets better

Where did Florida and the other South East states go?

im gonna guess Canada melted all of their Greenlandic colonies' ice in the ultimate grand strategy move in the history of warfare

idk this is some alternative history shit