By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - The Russian Empire vs. the Soviet Union - a geographic/territorial comparison

RolStoppable said:
VGPolyglot said:

I highly doubt that. Even if they don't constitute a majority, they'd still be a plurality, not a minority. Even if that was true, why would it matter? Most of them would have assimilated into Austrian culture by then.

He's refering to me and he really doesn't know how things are in Austria. We have a political party that is pretty much exclusively built around xenophobia and said party has had consistently good results in elections for decades. Any Austrian who tells you that Austrians don't have a tendency to be xenophobes is simply lying. And because xenophobia is so widespread, it could happen that a law like the recent burqa ban could be passed. A law that has much bigger consequences for Austrians than muslim immigrants, so I called it out for its stupidity.

We have the same political atmosphere in Sweden. The left is describing the Swedish people as xenophobic because we have a similar party to FPÖ with 20% votes (The Sweden Democrats).

But I just think it's bizarre how such supposedly  "xenophobic" and small countries like Austria and Sweden still manages to take in 100,000 thirld world migrants year after year to the point that their own natives now are ónly a decade or two away from ending up in minority.

It's bizarre. To me, a xenephobic people would close its borders and keep its populace homogenous.

But that's not what we are seeing. Austria and Sweden are the two most multicultural countries in the world and increasingly so at a record pace.

So it's unfair to just decribe them "xenophobic". At least nuance the analysis a little and perhaps say that the media, cultural and political elite is out of sync with the will of the common people, forcefully dragging in these masses of migrants against their will by using classic guilt tactics.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
RolStoppable said:

He's refering to me and he really doesn't know how things are in Austria. We have a political party that is pretty much exclusively built around xenophobia and said party has had consistently good results in elections for decades. Any Austrian who tells you that Austrians don't have a tendency to be xenophobes is simply lying. And because xenophobia is so widespread, it could happen that a law like the recent burqa ban could be passed. A law that has much bigger consequences for Austrians than muslim immigrants, so I called it out for its stupidity.

We have the same political atmosphere in Sweden. The left is describing the Swedish people as xenophobic because we have a similar party to FPÖ with 20% votes (The Sweden Democrats).

But I just think it's bizarre how such supposedly  "xenophobic" and small countries like Austria and Sweden still manages to take in 100,000 thirld world migrants year after year to the point that their own natives now are ónly a decade or two away from ending up in minority.

It's bizarre. To me, a xenephobic people would close its borders and keep its populace homogenous.

But that's not what we are seeing. Austria and Sweden are the two most multicultural countries in the world and increasingly so at a record pace.

So it's unfair to just decribe them "xenophobic". At least nuance the analysis a little and perhaps say that the media, cultural and political elite is out of sync with the will of the common people, forcefully dragging in these masses of migrants against their will by using classic guilt tactics.

If you had your way, that's exactly what would happen. And based on your post history, you are xenophobic.

Slimebeast said:
Miguel_Zorro said:

You just said it, didn't you?

You got moderated before for saying you wished "The Fuhrer" won because of minorities. I know you understand how that's different from the post above. 

I just said it because I have to test the limits since it's hard to determine beforehand what is and what isn't allowed to say here.

And you aren't entire correct in how you interpreted my previous statement about the Führer winning WW2 in regards to the current situation in Austria. It was about the native Germanics in Austria who will end up in minority in just a couple of decades, and yet we're observing this bizarre sitation where these same natives are still whipping themselves on the back out of self-guilt, describing themselves as xenophobes.

And thats why you have to be pro Nazi because you oppose immigration? I dont see how the Nazis winning WW2 would have made things any different, most of the casualties killed by the Nazis were white people if i recall history.

Ruler said:
Slimebeast said:
Sadly there's no freedom on this site to have a serious historical discussion.

If I as a Finn express that I wish our German allies with the Führer in charge would have won WW2 to fend off the attacking Soviets, I'll get moderated.

Rightfully so if you advocate nazism, the fins did fend off the Soviets so what is really your point?

I don't necessarily advocate "nazism" and the Holocaust if I wish that Germany had won WW2, just like someone doesn't necessarily advocate communism and the Gulags just because they think the Soviet Army beating Hitler's Germany was important for the outcome of the WW2.

It is true that Finland heroically managed to fend off the Russians in order to preserve our independence, but at a huge cost in loss of manpower, vital territory and enormous war reparations to the Soviet Union for decades to come.

If instead Operation Barbarossa would have been more successfull, Finland would have been able to not just re-conquer and keep the areas that the Soviets unjustly laid claim to in the Winter War of 1939, but we would also have been able to correct a hitorical injustice by liberating all the Finnish tribes living in the Soviet Union, which was about 1 million Finnish people who would have prefered to live in a Finnish state rather than Communist Russia.

Slimebeast said:
Ruler said:

Rightfully so if you advocate nazism, the fins did fend off the Soviets so what is really your point?

I don't necessarily advocate "nazism" and the Holocaust if I wish that Germany had won WW2, just like someone doesn't necessarily advocate communism and the Gulags just because they think the Soviet Army beating Hitler's Germany was important for the outcome of the WW2.

It is true that Finland heroically managed to fend off the Russians in order to preserve our independence, but at a huge cost in loss of manpower, vital territory and enormous war reparations to the Soviet Union for decades to come.

If instead Operation Barbarossa would have been more successfull, Finland would have been able to not just re-conquer and keep the areas that the Soviets unjustly laid claim to in the Winter War of 1939, but we would also have been able to correct a hitorical injustice by liberating all the Finnish tribes living in the Soviet Union, which was about 1 million Finnish people who would have prefered to live in a Finnish state rather than Communist Russia.

What do you think would have happened in Germany won WWII? Certainly Nazism and an even worse Holocaust. And you're saying "our independence" when you're referring to Finland? I thought you were from Sweden? If not, you're a migrant, which is ironic considering that you are against migrants coming. If you consider yourself Swedish, then that means that the Swedish people with foreign ancestry would also be considered Swedish.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Slimebeast said:

If you had your way, that's exactly what would happen. And based on your post history, you are xenophobic.

Yes I'm strongly xenophobic in the context of massive third world migration into Europe.

But that's not the same thing as ridiculous claims that xenophobic people run the immigration policies of Europe (except for in the excellent Visegrad countries: Poland, Hungary, Czech Rep, Slovakia).

Slimebeast said:
VGPolyglot said:

Yes I'm strongly xenophobic in the context of massive third world migration into Europe.

But that's not the same thing as ridiculous claims that xenophobic people run the immigration policies of Europe (except for in the excellent Visegrad countries: Poland, Hungary, Czech Rep, Slovakia).

So, why do you object to being called xenophobic if you're admittedly xenophobic?

RolStoppable said:
VGPolyglot said:

What do you think would have happened in Germany won WWII? Certainly Nazism and an even worse Holocaust. And you're saying "our independence" when you're referring to Finland? I thought you were from Sweden? If not, you're a migrant, which is ironic considering that you are against migrants coming. If you consider yourself Swedish, then that means that the Swedish people with foreign ancestry would also be considered Swedish.

Skin color matters.

I know it does for him, but I am just curious as to what his response will be.

RolStoppable said:
Slimebeast said:

Xenophobia doesn't only show in votes for far-right parties though. There are people who don't vote and there are also people who recognize that far-right parties are usually filled with irrational people, so they opt for a center-right party (that's ÖVP in Austria).

The EU has largely closed its borders for increased control over the migrants that can come here, so your claim that the politicians in charge are forcefully dragging in migrants has no basis in reality.

Last I checked Austria is still allowing roughly 100,000 migrants yearly. That's an enormous number considering you only have 85,000 babies born each year, out of which perhaps 60,000 are ethnic Germanic. You are very fast becoming a minority despite your supposed "strict border controls".

It's the same here in Sweden. "Oh but the fugee influx is reduced by 80-90% compared with the open flood gates situation of 2015, and yet +100,000 third wolrd migrants enter our country each year.

VGPolyglot said:
Slimebeast said:

My momma is a Finn, by grandfather was a Captain in the Finnish Army during WW2. But myself, I am born in Sweden to a Swedish father.

Finnish culture and Swedish culture are very similar. I'm a second gen migrant statistically, but Im from the same cultural heritage, a group which is very easily assimilated in Scandinavia, unlike people from the third world.