By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Xenoblade Chronicles Series Thread: Definitive Edition (All Spoilers in Tags)

Lonely_Dolphin said:
bigtakilla said:

Xenoblade 2 is exactly what I thought early on. You can tell the game was rushed (voice acting all over the place quality wise, more frame drops than there should be, game bugs and crashes, ect). It isn't as graphically updated as it should be, the characters look from a range of okay but generic, mediocre and generic, to down right hilariously bad looking waifu designs. Whoever quality controlled must have never bothered with the map, or the ui. It's an incredibly cliché story.

It's not bad, but does absolutely nothing to elevate it from X or the original. When you got a story not as good as the original, and a world not as big as X and instead go a middle ground between the two you never really feel like you've gained anything from this experience.

It easily deserves the metacritic score lowest in the series by both critics and users, as well as the lower opencritic score. It's not a bad game, but one that misses the mark of mastery the other games hit. This is a game of "this works, this doesn't" tradeoff moments that never really stays in the this works territory as long as it should at all.

But what about the gameplay? I agree that storywise it's pretty forgettable and I too am not a fan of the skimpy character designs or poor voice acting, but I can forgive everything else as long as the gameplay is there. Compared to the original I'd say X2 easily wins on that front for being much more engaging, though I haven't played XCX for more than 10 minutes so can't say anything about that.

Depends really. I'd say gameplay is roughly the same between the two. I'd honestly score them roughly the same with maybe a slight edge to X for being able to eventually become untouchable in skell and ground combat. 

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
bigtakilla said:

For perfect skells it doesn't depend on money, it depends on miranium and tickets/farmed items. As far as time, and what is considered perfect skells it depends. End game you should already have plenty of miranium thanks to probes, but how many of the required items you have and how many tickets you have determine the length it takes to get all lvl 60 or Ares 70/90 skell. With the global nemesis spamming of tickets it takes roughly two weeks of playing give or take how long you play, and whether you change it up and hunt the easily dropped farm items or just want to ticket every part.

So how many hours of grinding would you say that is? I can't remember what global nemesis entailed anymore. 

However long it takes you to break all its appendages. A few minutes without Ares 90, a few seconds with it.

sc94597 said:
bigtakilla said:

It's an incredibly cliché story.

When you got a story not as good as the original, 

I strongly disagree with this. The story is the best in a Xeno game since Xenogears. It is self-contained, unlike Xenogears (required an art-book to understand; disc 2), Xenosaga (cut-short three episodes; and episode 2 dragged) and Xenoblade Chronicles X (depends on a sequel to reach full potential), well-paced (like Xenoblade Chronicles and unlike other Xeno-games), but also has much more world complexity and developed characters that aren't flat in comparison to the original. 

If Xenoblade Chronicles X doesn't get a sequel, the story will be strongly disappointing, and Xenoblade Chronicle's story was great for what it was - a simplified Gnostic allegory with little character development, but Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is more ambitious than that. 

Every cliché  that exists in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 existed in the original. 

Well I disagree with you. Dialogue is also good in some areas and downright terrible in other detracting from the stories delivery.

Wyrdness said:
bigtakilla said:

Xenoblade 2 is exactly what I thought early on. You can tell the game was rushed (voice acting all over the place quality wise, more frame drops than there should be, game bugs and crashes, ect). It isn't as graphically updated as it should be, the characters look from a range of okay but generic, mediocre and generic, to down right hilariously bad looking waifu designs. Whoever quality controlled must have never bothered with the map, or the ui. It's an incredibly cliché story.

It's not bad, but does absolutely nothing to elevate it from X or the original. When you got a story not as good as the original, and a world not as big as X and instead go a middle ground between the two you never really feel like you've gained anything from this experience.

It easily deserves the metacritic score lowest in the series by both critics and users, as well as the lower opencritic score. It's not a bad game, but one that misses the mark of mastery the other games hit. This is a game of "this works, this doesn't" tradeoff moments that never really stays in the this works territory as long as it should at all.

Except both the gameplay, structure and Story are leagues above X I don't know how far you've played to say it's cliche story because it's far from that as you progress it's even better gameplay wise than the original.

In what ways were it's gameplay and structure leagues above X? 

Last edited by bigtakilla - on 25 December 2017

bigtakilla said:
Wyrdness said:

Except both the gameplay, structure and Story are leagues above X I don't know how far you've played to say it's cliche story because it's far from that as you progress it's even better gameplay wise than the original.

Yeah, I'm finding that to be a headscratcher too.

I don't even think the story of Xenoblade Chronicles was anything special either, as it's a linear plot that's already been done by the same writers, and done better; where XC progressed wasn't in terms of story - it was in vertical design and pacing goals/checkpoints in a massive 3D world. The story of Xenoblade Chronicles X did ask some fascinating questions (such as, how would a human city fare on an alien world?) and provided an enormous amount of content to answer it.

At least with Xenoblade Chronicles 2, the story seems much more original - I am still not through it, as I am in chapter 6, but I am really enjoying it so far.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
Wyrdness said:

Diving and Farm Points have replaced gathering random items that spawn on the map. In X if you wanted an ultra rare plant drop you had to run around the map for hours praying you'd get it. In 2 you just have to load up a bunch of Botany blades, and watch as a single farm point gives you 30 random plant items at once. 

The combo system in 2 rewards creating element orbs, and breaking them. This leads to long epic combos, is challenging to setup, and rewarding to pull off. You can have bosses or normal creatures drop over 3 times their normal loot this way. 

Having multiple towns instead of having just one town made talking to people less of a chore. Wandering around New LA trying to find someone you haven't talked to yet, or trying to find someone with something new to say was a chore. 2 has it so that these people have a star above their heads, and the smaller towns make it much easier to find the stragglers endgame. 

Being able to equip two luck modifying accessories, and then two luck modifying blades makes opening rare blades very easy. Especially when you combine it with farming a boss for Rare/Legendary Blades. With 2 the designers introduced all these different elements to give skilled players a chance to get past the grind. In X finding new teammembers was often confusing and down to sheer luck. If you only did X, Y, and Z, new teammate A would show up, in random place B. 

Being able to equip different blades to different drivers, and having different movesets with different drivers really diversified the strategies and teambuilding you can take in the game. For example: Rex has completely different moves using a Shield Hammer, than Nia. In X everybody just used the same movesets per weapon. 

I mean don't get me wrong here, I liked X. It had bigger worlds, and let the player choose their class at the start of the game. But Xenoblade 2 takes out a lot of the grindy elements, introduces interesting combat mechanics, and gives you more options for teambuilding. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
bigtakilla said:

Diving and Farm Points have replaced gathering random items that spawn on the map. In X if you wanted an ultra rare plant drop you had to run around the map for hours praying you'd get it. In 2 you just have to load up a bunch of Botany blades, and watch as a single farm point gives you 30 random plant items at once. 

The combo system in 2 rewards creating element orbs, and breaking them. This leads to long epic combos, is challenging to setup, and rewarding to pull off. You can have bosses or normal creatures drop over 3 times their normal loot this way. 

Having multiple towns instead of having just one town made talking to people less of a chore. Wandering around New LA trying to find someone you haven't talked to yet, or trying to find someone with something new to say was a chore. 2 has it so that these people have a star above their heads, and the smaller towns make it much easier to find the stragglers endgame. 

Being able to equip two luck modifying accessories, and then two luck modifying blades makes opening rare blades very easy. Especially when you combine it with farming a boss for Rare/Legendary Blades. With 2 the designers introduced all these different elements to give skilled players a chance to get past the grind. In X finding new teammembers was often confusing and down to sheer luck. If you only did X, Y, and Z, new teammate A would show up, in random place B. 

Being able to equip different blades to different drivers, and having different movesets with different drivers really diversified the strategies and teambuilding you can take in the game. For example: Rex has completely different moves using a Shield Hammer, than Nia. In X everybody just used the same movesets per weapon. 

I mean don't get me wrong here, I liked X. It had bigger worlds, and let the player choose their class at the start of the game. But Xenoblade 2 takes out a lot of the grindy elements, introduces interesting combat mechanics, and gives you more options for teambuilding. 

If you want rare items, you spend a couple of tickets and get it. Also, even if you decide to actually get a rare ten by collection, they appear in certain areas. It never takes too long, I feel you are exaggerating a bit.

In X you can join the division that ups rare drops, plus create augments to up rare item drops

Having different team members with different specialties insures all team members have meaning. Otherwise honestly why have more than the max party amount. Having a ton of different skills per class and being able to equip Skells however you want ensures ample amount of diversity. You also want to build affinity with all party members as they teach you specific arts based on their class.

With all the different ways to augment and build your characters and skells, and the sheer number of arts per class I'd say X offers the same if not more variety.

So needless to say, disagree greatly.

Jumpin said:
bigtakilla said:

Yeah, I'm finding that to be a headscratcher too.

I don't even think the story of Xenoblade Chronicles was anything special either, as it's a linear plot that's already been done by the same writers, and done better; where XC progressed wasn't in terms of story - it was in vertical design and pacing goals/checkpoints in a massive 3D world. The story of Xenoblade Chronicles X did ask some fascinating questions (such as, how would a human city fare on an alien world?) and provided an enormous amount of content to answer it.

At least with Xenoblade Chronicles 2, the story seems much more original - I am still not through it, as I am in chapter 6, but I am really enjoying it so far.

I'm not sure you replied to the right comment...

Cerebralbore101 said:
bigtakilla said:

This XBC2 brings things together far better.

I feel like a fucking boss as I just beat a boss that's a nearly 60 levels above my team! Proof is below! I thought he would just instantly 1-shot me, but I ended up on top after a few tries. He does have two OHKO moves, one that instakills all but God Tora, and the other even kills him, but once I learned the moves I was able to avoid them using chain attacks and specials. I'm sorry Rikki but I have to say Tora is best Nopon now, he's just too god-like!