By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you remember when vidyagames used to b "the hobby of social rejects"

I never remembered that. When I was a kid if you had a GBA SP or a PSP you were cool. And that was the consensus in the state of Texas, Cali, and Oregon. New Mexico was weird though. They didnt care much for games

Around the Network

I remember when video games were the electronic babysitter.

twintail said:
Never understood this sentiment. Must be an American thing or something

No actually.  My grandfather had an Intellivision.  My Dad had a Coleco Vision.  My Uncle would come over and talk about Legend of Zelda on NES and play it in my room.  I remember him taking me to a Nintendo Expo in 1989 or 1990 that I don't remember the name of.  The place was packed.  I specifically remember Gremlins 2, NES Play Action Football and Dungeon Magic: Sword of the Elements (had to look up the name of this one, as all I remembered were the graphics and music after all these years) set up for playing throughout the Expo.  People talked about it freely in school, bringing in gaming mags to read at lunch and asking to borrow each other's games.  I and all my friends had some video console in their living room even now.  There was never any stigma around it where I come from.

it is not anymore!?

lemme post videos of me play video games and post it on youtube... it will be so cool

For a lot of people - and for some media outlets - it still is......

I personally never cared about other people´s thoughts about videogame fans, because I always had family members and friends who enjoyed videogames as much as me, even three decades ago.

Around the Network
LivingMetal said:
I remember when video games were the electronic babysitter.

Now the phones and tablets got that position and take that from toddlehood.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Not really stereotyped anymore.

Unless you tell people you play 'Hentai boobies 5000', most people will just shrug it off.