By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which will pass GCN's NA sales first - 360 or Wii?

The Nintendo Gamecube has sold 12,741,437 to date - approximately 12.74m lifetime total - in North America. Meanwhile, the Xbox 360 has sold 11,435,929 to date, and the Wii has 10,258,533.

12.74 - 11.44 = 1.30m total consoles that the 360 has to sell in North America to pass the Gamecube.

12.74 - 10.26 = 2.48m total consoles that the Wii has to sell in North America in order to surpass its predecessor.

According to the charts, the Wii has accomplished roughly a little shy of 2x the 360's total sales in America since 2008's start, and it's clear by the aforementioned charts that those sales have only been as low as they have due to supply. But, can Nintendo sufficiently supply NA with the required number of consoles to pass this mile-mark first? It's clear there are problems in supply.

The question is... which will achieve this goal first? 

Then, if you claim the Wii will, that means the Wii will surpass the 360 before either of them reach 12.74m. So, when do you think the Wii will surpass the 360?

If you claim the 360 will, do you think the Wii ever will surpass the 360 in NA? If you do, when? 

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network

Wii without a doubt.

Wii most likely.

That's interesting that the wii might pass the 360 sales at hte same time it passes GC sales

The answer is simple : PSP :P ( jk ) .

IMO the Wii will pass it from those two ... the 360 sales are much smaller compared with the Wii :)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

360 - I expect a large boost from that game.

Tease.

All depends on supply. If Nintendo can supply enough Wii definetly But I'm not sure. It will be a close race and prob only a nose in it. Ok I'll go Wii winning but only just.

I edited the end of the initial post. Trying to have a little more discussion here.

According to the numbers, if Nintendo can keep up with the demand during the spikes in the charts, it will sell on average 198k per week. Meanwhile, the 360 is selling an average of 77k per week.

At those rates, the 360 will pass GCN's lifetime sales in 17 weeks. The Wii will pass it in 13.

If the Wii doesn't keep up those supply rates - if it keeps fluctuating like it's been for the past few months - then it will sell an average of 136k per week.

At that rate, the Wii will pass the GCN in 18 weeks.

So, the question is all about supply. The 360 certainly has a viable chance at beating the Wii to that point first. But, if Nintendo keeps up Wii supply, then the 360 simply won't be able to cut it.

SW-5120-1900-6153

I think Nintendo will boost the amount of consoles in NA with the release of Wiifit and if they do it will pass it easely, at what date it will pass is alot harder to predict.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Does it really matter? Even if the 360 manages to do it first, the Wii will shortly thereafter pass the 360's total in NA, right?

Note: I own both a Wii and a 360, so yeah ;-p

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"