By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Xenoblade 2: Regarding its Anime Style

caffeinade said:
Sunstrider said:

Well he keeps telling himself that he's a human though lol, so I went with that perspective of his .

I have not played Persona 5 yet.
Human is not the same as a cat person.
If he says he is a human, we should not undermine that by calling him a cat person.

Oh I'm not undermining him at all XD, play the game and you'll see some undermining there lol.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

Around the Network

style doesn't bother me very much. interesting video.

looking forward to this game. hope the gameplay improves on the past.

Thechalkblock said:

It was a bit mmo-lite, but I've always really liked the gameplay. Is this a common complaint?

Shaunodon said:
Thechalkblock said:

It was a bit mmo-lite, but I've always really liked the gameplay. Is this a common complaint?

i don't mean that the past gameplay was bad. i just mean that the most important thing for me to experience in a sequel is an improved or refreshed gameplay experience.

for me, the gameplay has always been my main reason to continue gaming.

Style will be subjective, but to me it’s already a massive improvement over X. Some of those characters looked absolutely hideous to me, I still have nightmares about that black haired girl with the bob-cut. Those cold dead eyes...*rocks back and forth*

I’m a lot more interested in how the gameplay has been improved, particularly in regards to inventory management. That was probably the weakest part of the previous two games.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Around the Network

I don't think the problem is the anime style, rather the samey generic bland anime style. Expressions aren't only possible in that style, they're just easier, which I would hope means they're focusing resources on gameplay and world building and not that they're just lazy. Personally I still prefer the original's style, but I don't think X2's is bad or anything, certainly wont affect my enjoyment of the game.

I never had any issues with the art style. I wasn't even aware that this was a common complaint until someone pointed it out recently in a topic (and at the same time accuising me of "STILL being salty about the anime style").
I've seen the series go from anime, to more doll like, to more realistic, back to more doll/anime like, etc.
The first one was about as anime as it could get back in the day:

Rather than the art-style, it's the character design I'm questioning. The characters don't seem appealing to me at first glance. It's a mixture of their looks and how they behave. Some of them, I hate to say, sound like stereotypical tropey anime characters. "We're going to find the legendary sword, and go to the promised land!"
I don't mind concepts like that existing in story driven games like this, but they should be developed properly, and preferably not presented as the end all be all goal in the first trailers. Whether it's a red herring or not. That's not going to get me excited for the journey.

Compared to when I first saw KOS-MOS for example, it's night and day.

They didn't have to reveal any type of ultimate goal right away with her. They managed to make me intrigued anyway in a more subtle way.
KOS-MOS looked cool, and her demeanor was interesting with the cold straight forward robot-like responses, and I wanted to find out more about her. (Not only because her activation code was the same as the line uttered by the main villain in the previous game, Xenogears).

The XBC2 trailers so far have not been able to make me interested in the characters or the world, but it's more like blind faith in the Xeno brand that makes me think I'll probably enjoy it because hey, I liked the other ones.
Though some things have changed over the years. Neither Saga nor Takahashi are listed as writers. But on the plus side, they've kept Mitsuda as composer, and that's great at least.

Last edited by Hiku - on 31 October 2017

I'm perfectly fin with the art style, even though I'm not a fan of anime. What is more off-putting to me is the game itself. I get why people like this series but Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Wii U looked really complex and you needed this insane amount of time to finish it, apparently. If this game is more "inviting" I'll give it a shot but so far it looks like a real hardcore gamers' game and I'm just not the target demographic unfortunately.

I like it. I think it's a return to form for the Xeno series and its beginnings. (i.e. Xenogears and Saga) I like the mix between realistic features and anime as well but I think this was a good choice for this game.

Edit: Hiku stole my thunder, I couldn't have said it any better though.

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 31 October 2017

I do very much like the shift in artstyle. Doing so to allow for more expressive characters especially is a great improvement over XCX, where while the enviroments looked beautiful, the characters' faces sometimes looks terrifying =_=

I've tried to keep a fairly modest view on XC2, after i hyped myself up for XCX after finishing XC and being quite disappointed in the end. I also don't want to instantly compare it to XC, rather, to allow it to shine on its own merits. From what i've seen though, i doesn't look to disappoint me at least.

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi