By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 67.5M PS4 shipped. 4.2M in Q2. Forecast for FY raised

DonFerrari said:
Hiku said:

Who knows. Some times you get a lot of replies in various threads so it's easy to some times forget to check the blue notifications before they vanish out of your sight.
I did however not see a new estimate from him since then, but one of the comments in this thread seems to suggest that he might have one. Not sure. But if so I wonder what made him change his mind.

I don't think PS4 has performed in any really surprisingly unexpected way in the past few years, other than that 2017 became a bit better than what people commonly anticipated in 2016. But that's not enough to jump from a 90M estimate to 110m+ or whatever he may think now.

Miyamotoo said:

We dont know exatly how well PS4 will sell in FY 2018., but 2019. seems like safe bet for 100m in any case, I dont think its important if that will be in first half of 2019. or in second half of 2019. And ofcourse, PS4 will start slowing down in some point, PS4 is now exactly 4 years old console and consoles usually have their peak sales in 3., 4. or 5. year on market, so for PS4 is probably this or next year and after that will probably start slowing down.

Sorry but the numbers we have had up to PS360 gen the peak used to be 2nd year or at most 3rd year.. 4, 5 or 6 only happened with PS3 and X360 because of sony initial mistakes and time took to release slim and good price for one side and Kinect plus price for the other... PS4 getting it with almost no pricecut is new.

Almost without price cut!? PS4 1TB model with one game limited edition bundle is $300,  thats huge difrence going from PS4 500GB base model whitout game for $400.

Around the Network

Past six years have been a study in a major company turning it around. Things were pretty dire with the PS3 era, but now Sony is as healthy as they've been in a long time, well done.

What can I say, ps4 is still strong.

More profitable than PS2 has ever been, dayyum

Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

Sorry but the numbers we have had up to PS360 gen the peak used to be 2nd year or at most 3rd year.. 4, 5 or 6 only happened with PS3 and X360 because of sony initial mistakes and time took to release slim and good price for one side and Kinect plus price for the other... PS4 getting it with almost no pricecut is new.

Almost without price cut!? PS4 1TB model with one game limited edition bundle is $300,  thats huge difrence going from PS4 500GB base model whitout game for $400.

25% pricecut on initial pricing after 4 years on the market and shipping almost 70M, that is almost no price cut compared to any previous PS.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Kerotan said:

funny how 2 years ago was meant to be it's peak. then last year before that was brought to this year. now it's moving to 2019. People underestimed the ps4 and do so until this day. 

If the ps4 super slim can get down to a $150 price point then it's going to sell gangbusters, especially in poorer regions around the world. And imagine it becomes hackable? It will be insane. It could sell for years after PS5 comes out. Right up to 2024. 

I dont see how second year on market can be peak when usualy its 3. or 4. year on market for consoles.

Even with lower price slowing is certain, PS3 wasn't hacked (only Fat model) so chances for PS4 to be hacked are much lower. So no, PS4 will not be onother PS2.

Ps4 will be far superior for Sony though in terms of profits. For Sony it will be by far it's most successful ever. 

DonFerrari said:
Miyamotoo said:

25% pricecut on initial pricing after 4 years on the market and shipping almost 70M, that is almost no price cut compared to any previous PS.

Using percentages is misleading. The cheapest PS3 model 4 years after release was $299. What this really means is that PS4 has been either equal in price or cheaper than PS3 for its entire lifecycle so far. Not to mention the frequent PS4 firesales to $250: Uncharted 4 + PS4 Slim was $250 on Amazon for the entire summer.

Miyamotoo said:
DonFerrari said:

Doesn't  matter  what  comes with  it, 300  is still 300 ( and 250) and there not mainstream  prices. 

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

StarDoor said:

Using percentages is misleading. The cheapest PS3 model 4 years after release was $299. What this really means is that PS4 has been either equal in price or cheaper than PS3 for its entire lifecycle so far. Not to mention the frequent PS4 firesales to $250: Uncharted 4 + PS4 Slim was $250 on Amazon for the entire summer.

I don't think you know what firesales are......

See the OG XB1, the VCR one.... when the XB1s was around the corner and coming in at $299, you would find the OG XB1 for as low as $200 and with sometimes up to 2 games bundled in. Thats a firesale.

Getting the PS4 thats supposed to be $300 with a game for $250 with a game isn't a fire sale.... its a deal.

But I don't even get what I am reading in this thread of late, are we trying to push a narrative that the PS4's accomplishments aren't that great?

idk about all that, but what I do know is that right now its on track to be the most successful PS console sony has ever released. Surpassing the PS2; thats kinda a big deal.

DonFerrari said:
Miyamotoo said:

But its not point only about pricing, you get twice bigger storage and one game alongside those 25% price cut, again base PS4 500GB model without game was $400, PS4 500GB with one game was $450 at launch. Also we have regular sales of PS4 with one game for $250.

Kerotan said:
Miyamotoo said:

I dont see how second year on market can be peak when usualy its 3. or 4. year on market for consoles.

Even with lower price slowing is certain, PS3 wasn't hacked (only Fat model) so chances for PS4 to be hacked are much lower. So no, PS4 will not be onother PS2.

Ps4 will be far superior for Sony though in terms of profits. For Sony it will be by far it's most successful ever. 

I don't see how profit has anything with matter we talking about (when PS4 peak year will be).

xl-klaudkil said:
Miyamotoo said:

Doesn't  matter  what  comes with  it, 300  is still 300 ( and 250) and there not mainstream  prices. 

Ofcourse its matters when very often you have sales of PS4 with one game for $250, and you even now have A PS4 1TB with one game for $300 even official price of $300 is just for base model whitout game.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 31 October 2017