By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 67.5M PS4 shipped. 4.2M in Q2. Forecast for FY raised

Incredible ps4 sales
Lets see if sony can beat fy2016.
Since i fully expect a ps4 pricedrop and a 180-150 dollar black friday ps4 + the phenomenal amount of games for 2018,2018 could actually be up again.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Around the Network

Thats some excelent numbers!Just wished they released some software numbers.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Barkley said:
Lawlight said:

From September 2015:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=208434

How some people thought it would only sell 80M is beyond me.

I can do one better. Predict When will PS4 Outsell Wii

Only 4 months ago people saying PS4 would never outsell the Wii, and probably a lot who said that still believe it now.

I think Alex The Hedgehog is a winner there. Not only did he predict that the PS4 will never outsell the Wii, he predicted 75M lifetime sales.

Miyamotoo said:
Nice, so PS4 will probably hit 100m at end of 2019. I wonder if this is PS4 peak year in sales.

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

Miyamotoo said:
Nice, so PS4 will probably hit 100m at end of 2019. I wonder if this is PS4 peak year in sales.

It could be but I think the PS4 will drop to $200 next year and with GoW, Spiderman, RDR2 and TLoU2, I think 2018 might just be the peak year. We’ll see. I think Detroit and Ghost of Tsushima will be big too.

Around the Network

79m shipped by March is a tad high right? If they achieve that it would be amazing

postofficebuddy said:
IIRC there were some people here who still thought PS4 wouldn't hit 100 million lifetime as recently as May. Sales would have to drop like a rock for that to happen at this point.

It was really funny. I did some math a year ago with RyngTolu and I got interesting results. First of all, PS4 is not tracking above the PS2, which makes sense since nobody here thinks it will outdo 160M. PS2 launched first in Japan and it took months to reach other markets. When you align all regions, PS2 still is a bit ahead and PS4 seems to track to a final 130M number.

The PS2 had weak competition. The X1 is by far much more successful than the GC and OG Xbox. So I think this prediction makes sense. I'm not sure if stuff like the PS4 Pro can increase the lifespan of the console and result in more sales.

I think the next console to be underrated will be the Switch. I think the only thing that could make it fail to reach 100M at this point would be an early successor interrupting his cycle. Ninty kind off cancelled the Wii U mid-gen and started their cycle again. They may feel the pressure of a PS5/X2 and release a new console, making Switch a relatively short-lived device, like the GBA. I don't think it is that likely, since their current cycle is now on par with their handheld upgrade schedule (DS/3DS) and not following the home console cycle.

KBG29 said:
I still think they are low balling with that 19 million figure. With Gran Turismo Sport coming out this quarter, and God of War most likely coming around late February or March, I don't see any reason for them not to match or exceed the 20M units they sold in FY2016

Yes, they are. Nintendo is too with their new forecasts. They are predictions that MUST be met at any costs. Annoucing predictions and failling to meet them is a terrible prospect. So when tehse companies rise their forecasts, it's because they know they will make it without breaking a sweat. Actually, it's just because they notice that their previous forecast would be pathetically low.

So, more than 20M is a total given. They are most likely aiming at 21 or 22M right now.

torok said:
postofficebuddy said:
IIRC there were some people here who still thought PS4 wouldn't hit 100 million lifetime as recently as May. Sales would have to drop like a rock for that to happen at this point.

It was really funny. I did some math a year ago with RyngTolu and I got interesting results. First of all, PS4 is not tracking above the PS2, which makes sense since nobody here thinks it will outdo 160M. PS2 launched first in Japan and it took months to reach other markets. When you align all regions, PS2 still is a bit ahead and PS4 seems to track to a final 130M number.

The PS2 had weak competition. The X1 is by far much more successful than the GC and OG Xbox. So I think this prediction makes sense. I'm not sure if stuff like the PS4 Pro can increase the lifespan of the console and result in more sales.

I think the next console to be underrated will be the Switch. I think the only thing that could make it fail to reach 100M at this point would be an early successor interrupting his cycle. Ninty kind off cancelled the Wii U mid-gen and started their cycle again. They may feel the pressure of a PS5/X2 and release a new console, making Switch a relatively short-lived device, like the GBA. I don't think it is that likely, since their current cycle is now on par with their handheld upgrade schedule (DS/3DS) and not following the home console cycle.

Didn't RyngTolu predict that the PS4 will top out at 90M?

torok said:
KBG29 said:
I still think they are low balling with that 19 million figure. With Gran Turismo Sport coming out this quarter, and God of War most likely coming around late February or March, I don't see any reason for them not to match or exceed the 20M units they sold in FY2016

Yes, they are. Nintendo is too with their new forecasts. They are predictions that MUST be met at any costs. Annoucing predictions and failling to meet them is a terrible prospect. So when tehse companies rise their forecasts, it's because they know they will make it without breaking a sweat. Actually, it's just because they notice that their previous forecast would be pathetically low.

So, more than 20M is a total given. They are most likely aiming at 21 or 22M right now.

I don't think Sony uses that tactic - they've always met their expectations.