By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 67.5M PS4 shipped. 4.2M in Q2. Forecast for FY raised

GhaudePhaede010 said:
This is great. First Nintendo, now Sony. When will we hear from Microsoft?

Never.... or maybe next gen if they somehow manage to pull another 360. They went from talking about 360 numbers, to XB1 numbers to xbox family numbers, to MAU numbers to nothing at all.

Be rest assured.... you will hear from them in a few weeks when they tout sales of the XB1X and what ever PR spin they deem to associate with it.

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
So, the PS4 has sold around 67m as of september 30th. Does this mean the PS4 has outsold the 3DS already?

no, I doubt it has done it by now (31st of oct)

Nintendo shipped 69m 2/3DS by sept 30th, assuming a ww inventory of 1.5m that's 67.5m sold

Sony shipped 67.5m PS4s by sept 30th, assuming a ww inventory of 3m (it's a far quicker selling item) that's 64.5m sold

I think by the end of the current quarter PS4 should be able to leapfrog the 3DS in sales (to customers) and will 100%ly do it in shipments

GhaudePhaede010 said:

Not this year... they ll say its because everyone was waiting on the scoprio so sales dropped off a cliff this year and next will be better.

Maybe next year will be better for them? I Just dont see a 500$ console turning things around for them at this point.

If next year PS4 goes down to 199$ and with the lineup they have, it ll  be a slaughter.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 31 October 2017

drake-gx said:

Going toe to toe with the PS2..... daaaaamn.

Nice Graph Drake, sometimes a picture really is worth a thousand words. (or atleast 8 of them from me)

Around the Network
kopstudent89 said:
hunter_alien said:

Actually, by current rate it could be a bit conservative as well. They can achieve that especially if RDR or GoW is there t boost sales.

OT: This generation is Sony's. Absolutely amazing performance!

They've absolutely dominated this year. First time they might ship 20m+ since the PS2 days

Someone posted they shipped 20M on FY16, but yes, this year could be over 20M.

PEEPer0nni said:
Great hardware sales will help their software in 2018. They need this because their 1st party historically underperformed.

Undeperformed in what way? Talking about low GTS sales? Because all else have been selling better than ever.

GhaudePhaede010 said:

How about never? Or some crazy spin on X1X release?

Intrinsic said:
DonFerrari said:

We are heading for Holidays so a lot on shelves isn't abnormal... but haven't been so far since last estimatives from Sony for the total sold. Perhaps they will announce total at PSX and we will have another look of VGC constant undertracking of PS4. Have it been like 9 undertracks for 1 overtrack?

But approx. 3M overstock? I think thats tooo much, especially when you consider that shipments naturally also  increase during the holiday period. So sony (and everyone esle for that matter) ships more units during the current quater than any other quater, so its kinda hard to believe that there will be like 3M+ units just lying around now.

PEEPer0nni said:
Great hardware sales will help their software in 2018. They need this because their 1st party historically underperformed.

Sony's first party has been killing it this gen though.

kopstudent89 said:

They've absolutely dominated this year. First time they might ship 20m+ since the PS2 days

Yup....and as crazy as it may seem, next year may actually be better.

Yes 3M on shelves could be too much, we can't be sure, but we'll only have VGC to update their numbers with Sony release.

Lafiel said:
Darwinianevolution said:
So, the PS4 has sold around 67m as of september 30th. Does this mean the PS4 has outsold the 3DS already?

no, I doubt it has done it by now (31st of oct)

Nintendo shipped 69m 2/3DS by sept 30th, assuming a ww inventory of 1.5m that's 67.5m sold

Sony shipped 67.5m PS4s by sept 30th, assuming a ww inventory of 3m (it's a far quicker selling item) that's 64.5m sold

I think by the end of the current quarter PS4 should be able to leapfrog the 3DS in sales (to customers) and will 100%ly do it in shipments

I have no doubt they'll pass 3DS this year. and of course PS4 shipment equalling 3DS sell through doesn't equate PS4 passing 3DS already =]

I do think that it's more likely that 3DS inventory is 500k and PS4 1M-1.5M.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

JRPGfan said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

Not this year... they ll say its because everyone was waiting on the scoprio so sales dropped off a cliff this year and next will be better.

Maybe next year will be better for them? I Just dont see a 500$ console turning things around for them at this point.

They may give numbers for the release of X1X but I doubt they'll give anything for us to have LTD sales of X1.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

drake-gx said:

playstation even >> playstation uneven

I wonder if PS5 can buck this trend

postofficebuddy said:
IIRC there were some people here who still thought PS4 wouldn't hit 100 million lifetime as recently as May. Sales would have to drop like a rock for that to happen at this point.

Some people on here said PS4 would NEVER reach 100 million! And that was just like 6mo ago. 

It's awesome to see both Sony and Nintendo doing great. The industry is in a good shape!