By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kinect is officially dead

Radek said:
LivingMetal said:

The 2DS and the PS2 weren't forced peripheals.  It was a handheld and a console that played games with plenty of support that people wanted.  Not the same as Kinect.  Not even in the same league.

Can't believe you actually had to point that out to him...

Eh.  It is what it is.

Around the Network
Wright said:
d21lewis said:

I'd say refined motion controls. I had a quite a few Wii U games that had motion controls but in a limited capacity. After playing games like Zelda and Splatoon, I miss the little extra precision when I play games on PS4 ( which has them and often doesn't use them!) and Xbox.

Maybe, but WiiU barely dealt with those motion controls. I think aside from the gyroscope for things like Zelda/Splatoon and the motion steering of Mario Kart, WiiU really stood away from motion controls. Same with the 3DS, which merely used the gyroscope for things like the built-in face shooter or Zelda, once again. That's two systems from Nintendo that clearly used motion controls in a very limited way (and hardly ever enforced it) and opted for a much more traditional scheme.

SuperChunk also uses examples like Breath of the Wild for the continued use of motion controls as a core concept. Motion controls are present on Playstation too, with games like Until Dawn, Second Son, The Last of Us (this one in a very limited way) and Flower using the Dualshock 4 in clever ways, and only using motion controls in games that make sense instead of being shoe-horned everywhere, as well. We also had a whole generation of streamers doing lewd things with the motions during the first year of Playstation 4 until Twitch banned it entirely.

Basically I'm disagreeing with both the notions that "it's a core functionality" as if that was continuated since the Wii (which the WiiU and 3DS clearly prove not), and that it's "non-existent" on the other consoles, when that isn't really the case. Sure, it isn't a priority either, but it's not like it is absent.

I don't think it's non existent on other consoles. I was just saying that, with games like Splatoon and Zelda, the motion controlled aiming were such a big help. When I play a game like Uncharted LL, I have trouble aiming. It would seem like Sony should easily be able to add it as an option because the default controller already has built in motion controls.

As for the WiiU abandoning Motion Controls, that's just not the case. Even Mario Odyssey (I purchased it last night!) has optional motion controls tossed in and they feel great. A ton of Switch games do, from DBZ (again, a game I own) to the upcoming port of LA Noire, motion controls are still a big deal for Nintendo.

On the WiiU, just based on games I actually own, NSMBU, NSLU, Pikmin 3 (the best way to play!!), Nintendo Land, Batman Arkham City, Starfox Zero, andCall of Duty BO2, immediately come to mind. The console has a built in port for the sensor bar. Even the gamepad itself has a sensor bar built in so you don't even need a TV to use Wii remotes. They even made WiiU branded Wii Remotes.

I could go on but using the Wii U as an example of Nintendo turning their back on motion controls is just wrong. Even promotional stuff had things like a golf ball on the controller and a Wii Remote as a golf club.

*Edit* just an FYI: I actually have most of the PS4 games you named, too!

*Edit again* I have ALL of those games!! Lol!

I honestly thought it was dead for awhile now :)
Nice to get the official statement I guess... Sucks, I really like the idea for several reason but this thing never interested the target audience of the Xbox One.

d21lewis said:

I don't think it's non existent on other consoles. I was just saying that, with games like Splatoon and Zelda, the motion controlled aiming were such a big help. When I play a game like Uncharted LL, I have trouble aiming. It would seem like Sony should easily be able to add it as an option because the default controller already has built in motion controls.

As for the WiiU abandoning Motion Controls, that's just not the case. Even Mario Odyssey (I purchased it last night!) has optional motion controls tossed in and they feel great. A ton of Switch games do, from DBZ (again, a game I own) to the upcoming port of LA Noire, motion controls are still a big deal for Nintendo.

I don't deny that for some people, motion controls help immensely. I pretty much prefer playing with a controller, but I've pretty much heard from most people that their favourite way to play Resident Evil 4 is with a wiimote, and I wouldn't necessarily disagree with the notion that it allows them to aim better. In regards to your second paragraph, I know that motion controls are very present in the Switch, that isn't a point I tried arguing.

d21lewis said:

On the WiiU, just based on games I actually own, NSMBU, NSLU, Pikmin 3 (the best way to play!!), Nintendo Land, Batman Arkham City, Starfox Zero, andCall of Duty BO2, immediately come to mind. The console has a built in port for the sensor bar. Even the gamepad itself has a sensor bar built in so you don't even need a TV to use Wii remotes. They even made WiiU branded Wii Remotes.

This is were ground gets a bit muddy, however. I could agree that motion controls were an early decision for WiiU as a whole, but, I dunno, ultimately their overall implementation on WiiU was gimmicky, at best, not unlike the sixaxis option on the PS3 controller. It's a "core" aspect of design, maybe. But it's not core at all, in praxis.

You mention Arkham City, which I think only allows for motion controlling the batarang, which is a feature that was already present on the PS3 version. StarFox Zero greatly suffers from having motion controls implemented when it really didn't need them, although I concede this one does require it. NSMBU and NSLU (afaik) force you to use a Wiimote, and where's the motion control being used there? Tilting the controller? I can't speak for Pikmin 3 since I haven't played it, but NintendoLand is the only game from that list that uses motion controls in a fluid and meaningful way, and while it showed the promise motion controls could have, I don't know, ultimately it wasn't a priority save for screwing StarFox. Motion Controls are not a priority in the entirety of WiiU's catalogue, Nintendo Land aside. The same can't be said about Wii, where it required motion controls for it to work; admittely, not in all their games, but you have flagship Nintendo franchises like Zelda enforcing it and not giving any other plausible choice to play it. Breath of the Wild can be played entirely ignoring motion controls, however.

All I merely were doing was challenging Superchunk's preconception of being non-existant on other consoles (which it isn't, we both agree), and whatever "core functionality" WiiU had in terms of motion controls were largely ignored, being implemented as a mere supportive gimmick rather than a whole built-up system to work on; which is the case with things like the Dualshock 4, using motion control as a support gimmick, but not taking over the experience.

I tried mentioning those PS4 games specifically because they require motion controls and you aren't able to play them without it. Second Son forces it for the graffiti sections, Until Dawn uses it for the "Stay still!" sections of the game, Flower has it implemented as the only way to move the flowers (you can't use the joysticks AFAIK), and The Last of Us uses it to recharge the flashlight (amazing insight from the developer here, truly a fantastic implementation that puts to shame every single other videogame in history). If we somehow admit that core motion control is at the forefront with the WiiU, then it's only fair to say Playstation at least also maintains motion controls at its core, too.

Also, from that bunch, which one is your favourite?

Wright said:
d21lewis said:

I don't deny that for some people, motion controls help immensely. I pretty much prefer playing with a controller, but I've pretty much heard from most people that their favourite way to play Resident Evil 4 is with a wiimote, and I wouldn't necessarily disagree with the notion that it allows them to aim better. In regards to your second paragraph, I know that motion controls are very present in the Switch, that isn't a point I tried arguing.

d21lewis said:

This is were ground gets a bit muddy, however. I could agree that motion controls were an early decision for WiiU as a whole, but, I dunno, ultimately their overall implementation on WiiU was gimmicky, at best, not unlike the sixaxis option on the PS3 controller. It's a "core" aspect of design, maybe. But it's not core at all, in praxis.

You mention Arkham City, which I think only allows for motion controlling the batarang, which is a feature that was already present on the PS3 version. StarFox Zero greatly suffers from having motion controls implemented when it really didn't need them, although I concede this one does require it. NSMBU and NSLU (afaik) force you to use a Wiimote, and where's the motion control being used there? Tilting the controller? I can't speak for Pikmin 3 since I haven't played it, but NintendoLand is the only game from that list that uses motion controls in a fluid and meaningful way, and while it showed the promise motion controls could have, I don't know, ultimately it wasn't a priority save for screwing StarFox. Motion Controls are not a priority in the entirety of WiiU's catalogue, Nintendo Land aside. The same can't be said about Wii, where it required motion controls for it to work; admittely, not in all their games, but you have flagship Nintendo franchises like Zelda enforcing it and not giving any other plausible choice to play it. Breath of the Wild can be played entirely ignoring motion controls, however.

All I merely were doing was challenging Superchunk's preconception of being non-existant on other consoles (which it isn't, we both agree), and whatever "core functionality" WiiU had in terms of motion controls were largely ignored, being implemented as a mere supportive gimmick rather than a whole built-up system to work on; which is the case with things like the Dualshock 4, using motion control as a support gimmick, but not taking over the experience.

I tried mentioning those PS4 games specifically because they require motion controls and you aren't able to play them without it. Second Son forces it for the graffiti sections, Until Dawn uses it for the "Stay still!" sections of the game, Flower has it implemented as the only way to move the flowers (you can't use the joysticks AFAIK), and The Last of Us uses it to recharge the flashlight (amazing insight from the developer here, truly a fantastic implementation that puts to shame every single other videogame in history). If we somehow admit that core motion control is at the forefront with the WiiU, then it's only fair to say Playstation at least also maintains motion controls at its core, too.

Also, from that bunch, which one is your favourite?

Motion control or overall game?

I'd probably say Pikmin 3 for both. It was probably my favorite WiiU game and one I went back to time and again--even more than being Mario 3D World.

Here's the thing on SMBU, btw. Look at the controls section.

https://www.mariowiki.com/New_Super_Mario_Bros._U

I'm actually not sure what we're arguing at this point. Like you said, we're pretty much in agreement. I do think Nintendo banked hard on motion controls but (obviously) bet even harder on the second screen. It just never caught on.

Anyway, family time has come once again. Have a good night, bro!

Last edited by d21lewis - on 27 October 2017

Around the Network

There was such a high level of...attempted deception...with this product from the very beginning. How many bullshit demos/claims/promises does it have attached to it? It never deserved the fleeting success it had, and can't truly be called a disappointment, because even a cursory evaluation of the device and what it's actual potential was, as opposed to the fairly transparent facade that was presented, should have lead most to the same conclusion: An anticipated failure. No, in spite of a ( totally fabricated ) video featuring Jamie Kennedy that shows as much, you will not be able to play Burnout: Paradise with Kinect, because it would be stupid and awful, with basic button pressing game functions made unnecessarily difficult, or even better, not possible at all. Goodbye Kinect, we are richer for having lost you.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Hiku said:

A story in 4 parts:

@DiamondDogKaz

This is perfect. And with every step the PR machine manipulated their fanbase into supporting and defending the slow decline. The final Tweet will be 'It wasn't very poplular anyway. Who cares?' 

You can see this taking place with everything MS does. Currently their PR is trying to convince their fanbase Singleplayer isn't necessary.

The PS5 Exists. 

^^^ Being an Xbox gamer this gen has been such a rollercoaster ride of emotions. *Whew*

Stupid double post

Kinect has been dead for years because it was trash. Remember that Star Wars game? I'm trying not to.