Forums - General Discussion - NeoGAF in shambles (now back, no OT discussion, statement from Evilore)

I figure that january spike was the switch.

Around the Network
TheSource said:
Part of the problem with Neogaf is that people who are committed to games enough to talk about them anonymously on forums, well into their 30s, 40s, 50s, aren't exactly social butterflies. So you would get weird insane arguments about things that don't matter.

If you want an example of how people can talk about politics or the subject matter sanely without vitriol and hatred, just look at something like Americanwx.com or other weather forums.

Oh hey. Didn't know we had to have something like this happen for you to come back.

Bring back the Source Japan Preview!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

VGPolyglot said:
GribbleGrunger said:

I'm interested now. Answer the question, please.

Women make less than men, both on average and by the median:

http://www.businessinsider.com/gender-wage-pay-gap-charts-2017-3

Women are more often victims of sexual assault than men:

https://www.rainn.org/statistics/victims-sexual-violence

First of all, that's not a disparity of rights. One is a choice and the other is a result of criminals being opportunistic and criminals  I think we can all agree violence against women is bad.

The women make less than men argument is really, really flawed. I followed your link, found its source, and looked at how they came to that conclusion, and I can say is I wish people would stop using the dumbest study ever penned. The numbers they use are asinine. Of course men are going to make more on average than women when you don't account for limited hours, child rearing, and difference of job preference. No shit your numbers say women earn less when your study directly compares the salaries of an oil rig worker to a Mary Kay saleswoman.

How many women line up to work in oil fields? Is it men's fault that women don't want to work at oil fields? Is it men's fault that women are physically weaker than men when it comes to intense physical labor, and thus tend to shun more physically demanding labor? No.

Women go to college and graduate at far higher rates than men, so obviously they should make more money overall, right? No, and the reason is twofold:

1) While degrees are up, women getting degrees in useful fields has drastically decreased since the 80's. Instead of getting degrees in computer sciences and engineering, these women are getting degrees in gender studies and liberal arts, which we all know are incredibly valuable skills to have in the marketplace.

2) Relatively few women go into technical or trade schools. Apprenticeships often pay more than your typical college graduate will see, and that's while they're earning their license. For example: Plumbing. In my state, an 18 year old that goes straight to plumbing school, obtains a master's license, works full time, and saves responsibly, can retire a millionaire by the time they're 28. When I was plumbing, apprentices made $17/hour, Master Plumbers made $60/hour. Also, jobs had a minimum 1 hour fee, so even if we were there for <5 minutes, the charge was for an hour. We could rack up 20 hours a day working 9-5 if we got lucky with clogs instead of installations. Women don't want towork in plumbing though.

Needless to say, the choices women make are far more important than their genitalia when it comes to their paychecks. Unless you want to start forcing women to work specific jobs they willingly avoid, that gap will always exist.

If you want to compare a 40 hour paycheck between a man and woman that have both worked 10,000 hours in the same job, in the same time period, then we can talk.

User was warned for ignoring in-thread warning - Aura7541

Gaming content for gamers, by gamers. It's just common sense.

Soundwave said:

I've had my butt grabbed multiple times by women, biceps groped too uninvited. It happens I guess? I wouldn't go to where those women work and demand they be fired.

It was how he described it that made it clear it was meant to be harassment.

Any one of the incidents regarding EvilLore would not have been enough to bring this down upon him, *especially* if his first reaction to adversity wasn't to suppress anyone who looked at him crossways. But as with the other men who have recently been brought down by these charges, it's always a pattern of behavior (in EvilLore's case, both in being creepy with women and also with compulsively working to make sure that he doesn't have to answer any questions about his behavior with these women).

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

jlauro said:
Lawlight said:

I think about 100 of us post regularly here.

Random stats of last 20 days:

+----------------------+----------+------------+
|                  286 |     1141 | 2017-10-22 |
|                  190 |      473 | 2017-10-21 |
|                  282 |     1028 | 2017-10-20 |
|                  325 |     1269 | 2017-10-19 |
|                  307 |      974 | 2017-10-18 |
|                  321 |     1227 | 2017-10-17 |
|                  276 |     1065 | 2017-10-16 |
|                  303 |     1054 | 2017-10-15 |
|                  242 |      816 | 2017-10-14 |
|                  276 |      945 | 2017-10-13 |
|                  285 |     1094 | 2017-10-12 |
|                  304 |     1439 | 2017-10-11 |
|                  282 |     1130 | 2017-10-10 |
|                  292 |     1169 | 2017-10-09 |
|                  251 |     1140 | 2017-10-08 |
|                  250 |      918 | 2017-10-07 |
|                  289 |     1129 | 2017-10-06 |
|                  314 |     1203 | 2017-10-05 |
|                  326 |     1541 | 2017-10-04 |
|                  274 |     1016 | 2017-10-03 |
Number of posters, and number of total posts for each day.
For each month this year:
+----------------------+----------+------+
|                  877 |    24199 |   10 |
|                  895 |    28366 |    9 |
|                  939 |    30213 |    8 |
|                  936 |    31156 |    7 |
|                 1075 |    51075 |    6 |
|                  999 |    35183 |    5 |
|                 1007 |    37544 |    4 |
|                 1050 |    41076 |    3 |
|                 1016 |    37880 |    2 |
|                 1144 |    61010 |    1 |
I like random stats...

Yeah, that does not invalidate what I said. How many of those posters post regularly? An average of 283.75 posters per day is hard to believe though.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

I've had my butt grabbed multiple times by women, biceps groped too uninvited. It happens I guess? I wouldn't go to where those women work and demand they be fired.

Double standards - they exist.

jlauro said:
Lawlight said:

I think about 100 of us post regularly here.

Random stats of last 20 days:

|                  286 |     1141 | 2017-10-22 |
|                  190 |      473 | 2017-10-21 |
|                  282 |     1028 | 2017-10-20 |
|                  325 |     1269 | 2017-10-19 |
|                  307 |      974 | 2017-10-18 |
|                  321 |     1227 | 2017-10-17 |
|                  276 |     1065 | 2017-10-16 |
|                  303 |     1054 | 2017-10-15 |
|                  242 |      816 | 2017-10-14 |
|                  276 |      945 | 2017-10-13 |
|                  285 |     1094 | 2017-10-12 |
|                  304 |     1439 | 2017-10-11 |
|                  282 |     1130 | 2017-10-10 |
|                  292 |     1169 | 2017-10-09 |
|                  251 |     1140 | 2017-10-08 |
|                  250 |      918 | 2017-10-07 |
|                  289 |     1129 | 2017-10-06 |
|                  314 |     1203 | 2017-10-05 |
|                  326 |     1541 | 2017-10-04 |
|                  274 |     1016 | 2017-10-03 |
Number of posters, and number of total posts for each day.
For each month this year:
|                  877 |    24199 |   10 |
|                  895 |    28366 |    9 |
|                  939 |    30213 |    8 |
|                  936 |    31156 |    7 |
|                 1075 |    51075 |    6 |
|                  999 |    35183 |    5 |
|                 1007 |    37544 |    4 |
|                 1050 |    41076 |    3 |
|                 1016 |    37880 |    2 |
|                 1144 |    61010 |    1 |
I like random stats...

I like how you can see stuff like Horizon/Zelda release, E3...

By the looks of it, October will actually end up being one of the most active months (especially with Mario releasing)

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

o_O.Q said:
monocle_layton said:

Modern uses of a word doesn't change it in any way. Christianity (and other religions) have known cases of being violent and bigoted, and changes experienced don't change the original message.

Feminism itself simply means equal rights for men and women. Look past the political bullshit. Do you think women shouldn't be treated like garbage? Then you support the #1 and original belief in feminism.

I never entered the discussion about whether women lack certain rights - Polygot did, not me.

I can explain the ideology perfectly fine. I think women always deserve to be given the same chances as me (excluding very few cases), and I'm sure you think similarly. Unless you don't believe in equal rights, then we're both feminists according to the Merriam-Webster definition.

I answered the question, and unlike most people I couldn't give less of a shit about the modern day whackos. I don't waste my time ranting about those 'stupid leftists' or the 'racist conservatives'. I'm not a child, and I'd prefer to discuss a topic without these fucking retarded terms being thrown around. 

Maybe some feminists are rapists or disgusting humans. Ok, what do I do? Should I be against healthcare if some healthcare supporters are terrible people? The original belief of feminism will always be the idea that both sexes should experience equality (or equity). I'm not here to debate whether women are truly equal in the western world or not. I never touched that topic.

"Feminism itself simply means equal rights for men and women. "

yes which is why i asked you to list rights that men have that women do not have

"Do you think women shouldn't be treated like garbage? "

who outside of a very very small amount of people seriously believe women should be treated like garbage?

i mean just stating something like that show you are not thinking rationally

"I think women always deserve to be given the same chances as me"

what chances are you reffering to?

"The original belief of feminism will always be the idea that both sexes should experience equality"

well i'll repeat that the idea that men and women can experience equality of outcomes in a free society is one of the most retarded ideas i've ever been exposed to

Equity, not equality. A women who's pregnant shouldn't be expected to work 70 hours just because I could. At the same time, a man taking care of 2 kids shouldn't be expected to work 65 hours because a single woman can.

You constantly keep going in a circle and saying 'well what inequalities'. That was never my fucking argument. You clearly stated you personally don't treat women like garbage and think they're clearly treated well. How does that negate feminism?

A movement is not supposed to constantly be changing for better or worse. If things seem fine, then there's nothing wrong with standing still for a short or permanent amount of time. How complicated is that? 

I'm thinking rationally, and instead of constantly going on about how I'm 'irrational', maybe you should stop repeating the same argument.

monocle_layton said:
o_O.Q said:

"Feminism itself simply means equal rights for men and women. "

yes which is why i asked you to list rights that men have that women do not have

"Do you think women shouldn't be treated like garbage? "

who outside of a very very small amount of people seriously believe women should be treated like garbage?

i mean just stating something like that show you are not thinking rationally

"I think women always deserve to be given the same chances as me"

what chances are you reffering to?

"The original belief of feminism will always be the idea that both sexes should experience equality"

well i'll repeat that the idea that men and women can experience equality of outcomes in a free society is one of the most retarded ideas i've ever been exposed to

Equity, not equality. A women who's pregnant shouldn't be expected to work 70 hours just because I could. At the same time, a man taking care of 2 kids shouldn't be expected to work 65 hours because a single woman can.

You constantly keep going in a circle and saying 'well what inequalities'. That was never my fucking argument. You clearly stated you personally don't treat women like garbage and think they're clearly treated well. How does that negate feminism?

A movement is not supposed to constantly be changing for better or worse. If things seem fine, then there's nothing wrong with standing still for a short or permanent amount of time. How complicated is that? 

I'm thinking rationally, and instead of constantly going on about how I'm 'irrational', maybe you should stop repeating the same argument.

"Equity, not equality."

i quoted your words directly and you typed equality with regards to rights twice and could not state any rights that men have that women lack

" A women who's pregnant shouldn't be expected to work 70 hours just because I could. At the same time, a man taking care of 2 kids shouldn't be expected to work 65 hours because a single woman can."

what a weird red herring but is your argument here? that companies should be forced to absorb the costs of the personal decisions their employees make?

"You constantly keep going in a circle and saying 'well what inequalities'. That was never my fucking argument."

so why did you state that its about equality with regards to rights twice?

"You clearly stated you personally don't treat women like garbage and think they're clearly treated well. How does that negate feminism?"

i actually did not, what i said is that its a weird argument to bring up because i don't think anyone being rational would try to state that a significant number of people think its ok to treat women like garbage

i didn't say that this negates feminism

"If things seem fine, then there's nothing wrong with standing still for a short or permanent amount of time. How complicated is that? "

what is your point here? are you trying to in some roundabout way admit that men and women have equal rights now?

"I'm thinking rationally, and instead of constantly going on about how I'm 'irrational'"

well all i can do is request that you look back at my questions and your replies to them and assess your responces for yourself

I'm not going to comment on the whole Evilore thing, but I will say if that is truly the end of Neogaf then good fucking riddance. 

Neogaf was probably the most disguisting site i've ever seen in terms of how the users and mods acted and did, the mods banning anyone who had a different opinion and the users acting like they were better than others to make themselves feel better by being in an echo chamber/hive mind, and then also trying to call anyone a racist,nazi, etc for thinking differently about a topic. They also wanted to try to force their opinions and how they thought about things on people/developers and such with sheep/mob mentality.  Literally all it takes is looking at one political thread or something along those lines there to see it for yourself.

The only reason I even checked out that site before was just because it had a lot of users so sometimes I would check to see what topics there were and some topics on gaming things, and to laugh at how batshit insane some of the sjw shit and overreactions that happened over there in political threads. 

They also tried to hide the truth of a subject/topic on several occasions once they saw that they couldn't fit the subject into their agenda that they were trying to push. Truly a nasty place, and it's no wonder why it was laughed at/despised by so many people, including many in the gaming industry. Just check this tweet out.

https://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/status/479129693241614336?lang=en